Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VI

Old 08-23-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistycshore View Post
So what's your favorite dish and could you share the recipe?

If you show me yours, I'll show you mine.
I don't really have a favorite dish, I love everything. Since it's summer and my vegetable garden is overflowing this year, and I've now run out of jars for canning. It's vegetables at every meal, which is fine with me I love them. So I've been making stuffed vegetables, and ratatouille, and soupe au pistou (it's a sort of provencal minestrone with basil pesto), and moussaka, and a sort of caponata, and tomato pudding, and a really delicious zuchinni cream, vegetable mousse, salade niçoise, and green bean casseroles among other things. If you're interested in anything just let me know, I'll put it in your visitor messages.

WINDY What do you put in a gumbo? Is it spicy? Is it something like a jambalaya, that I 've had.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by allport View Post
That didn't come across as flippant it came across as mean sorry.

It's kind of a reaction to something I heard earlier, and I should know better than to put my own crap on here.

I do however think you really need to look at how you are dealing with the ex.

I am not one of those people who thinks you should not have any dealings with those who were around when we were using.

But unacceptable behaviour is not something you should accept from anyone just to keep them in your life.

If you feel you need him in your life that is your choice but are you willing to put up with the baggage?
No worries, allport. My ex is staying with me just until an apartment becomes available for him. He's not just completely taking advantage of me, though I think he asked too much on this one. I called him a couple times and did the "oh of course they're welcome but..." number and he got the idea. She's not spending the night. I guess that was kinda crappy of me but oh well. It was kinda crappy of him to ask in the first place.

He and I used to be best friends before we dated, before the drugs, and I feel like this isn't over yet. It's not just not being over him, there's more to it than that. I've had friendships/relationships run their course before and recognize when they're over. This is not over yet. I don't really believe in fate but we've both tried to end this a couple times and circumstances always push us back into each other's lives. And even with her silly drama my life is better and more peaceful when he and I are friends. It's not a dating thing, it's just when he's around in some capacity-- a friend, whatever-- I'm happier and my life is better. So yeah, the drama stresses me out but so far it's worth it. That's so twisted.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
I don't really have a favorite dish, I love everything. Since it's summer and my vegetable garden is overflowing this year, and I've now run out of jars for canning. It's vegetables at every meal, which is fine with me I love them. So I've been making stuffed vegetables, and ratatouille, and soupe au pistou (it's a sort of provencal minestrone with basil pesto), and moussaka, and a sort of caponata, and tomato pudding, and a really delicious zuchinni cream, vegetable mousse, salade niçoise, and green bean casseroles among other things. If you're interested in anything just let me know, I'll put it in your visitor messages.

WINDY What do you put in a gumbo? Is it spicy? Is it something like a jambalaya, that I 've had.

Gumbo is a roux-based soup. There are several kinds. Seafood, shrimp, chicken, sausage, racoon (lol...really). You start with a roux, add onions, celery, bell pepper, then add your protein, add bay leaves, cayennne, lemon juice, parsley, spices, and okra. Serve over rice and top with green onions and ground sassafras leaves.

Here is a good recipe for duck and sausage gumbo. You can substitute chicken if you don't like duck or use duck AND chicken.

Smoked Duck and Andouille Gumbo Recipe
Old 08-23-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

mmmmmmmmmmm I love duck and goose. I would much rather cook these for Thanksgiving or other holidays. I might have to try that smoked duck recipe.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
Gumbo is a roux-based soup. There are several kinds. Seafood, shrimp, chicken, sausage, racoon (lol...really). You start with a roux, add onions, celery, bell pepper, then add your protein, add bay leaves, cayennne, lemon juice, parsley, spices, and okra. Serve over rice and top with green onions and ground sassafras leaves.

Here is a good recipe for duck and sausage gumbo. You can substitute chicken if you don't like duck or use duck AND chicken.

Smoked Duck and Andouille Gumbo Recipe
YUMMMMM, I love duck and probably andouille, especially if it's like the andouillette we have here, that I put on the BBQ. Sounds good cant wait to try, don't have sassafras, I'll have to google that one, and okra is hard to find, I guess I'll just have to plant it next year ! thanks Windy
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

YUMMMMM, I love duck and probably andouille, especially if it's like the andouillette we have here, that I put on the BBQ. Sounds good cant wait to try, don't have sassafras, I'll have to google that one, and okra is hard to find, I guess I'll just have to plant it next year ! thanks Windy

The ground sassafras is called "gumbo file". You put in in the bowls right before serving.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I guess I'll have to ordre it from the States...
Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I guess I'll have to ordre it from the States...
You don't have to put file in the gumbo. It is preferred by it doesn't have to be in there. It was used as a thickening agent when people in Louisiana didn't have okra(when okra was out of season). Okra will thicken the gumbo. If you can find some sassafras leaves just dry them out and grind them in a coffee grinder.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

It's nights like this I don't know why I even try. One step forward, two steps back. My life.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:18 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
It's nights like this I don't know why I even try. One step forward, two steps back. My life.
I keep trying because that's the only VALID option. When you fall down you get up, being down is very uncomfortable, getting up isn't always easy, but being up is better.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I can't read to catch up today, but wanted to check in with you all. I have just gotten home from treatment last night and am working on dr. stuff and bills today.

I hope to be checking in regularly.

hope you are all doing well (hug)
Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by tyler
I keep trying because that's the only VALID option. When you fall down you get up, being down is very uncomfortable, getting up isn't always easy, but being up is better.
As long as I keep active with my addiction treatment I stand a chance. And having some chance is far better than standing no chance at all...like giving up on all treatment and sinking back into constant, hopeless, day to dreary day of active addiction. Even one day clean is cause for celebration.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Well, not the best weekend, but not the worst. I am starting to question giving up drinking, and if now is the 'right' time, as if there is ever a right time. Or if I care anymore. Life has been so crazy these past months, it is hard to think, drinking or not. I keep thinking, I would like a group, but then that book, and the word God, God, God all over and I can't read more than a line or two without getting upset at the guilt-based angle of the whole thin. They say take what you want, but it's all so tied together, I find I have to leave the whole thing, the whole book. So those meetings scare me, yet I wish I had some social support. Then this dumb schedule, getting out so late, no groups even meeting then, at the most vulnerable hours........

But have been suffering deeply inside, wanting and wishing I had more time to do things that were relaxing, yet so many old medical, dental bills from the years of no insurance, seems to never end the money going out, the wages garnished.....even stopping drinking, I am still broke beyond broke, the difference in savings seems like a penny in the grand canyon, and has ceased to be any motivation. Fells better to drink if I have to work so much, or such has been the fall-out. I feel like I need a vacation, have not had one in years, just work, and now even more work, 6 and even 7 days a week, and still the mountain of debt seems to go down so slowly I feel like I am going to die before it is gone, I sometimes just want to, but lack the nerve.

Thinking: maybe it will be best to die “young”, not try for too much, not be too greedy, , not to be a go-getter who steps on the toes of others, just to be gentle to animals and the earth and others, to not take too much from the world an OD when the time feels right. I have been reading on what ‘works’…..one does not want to bungle a thing like that.

Such have been the thoughts of me and my bf: to go out together, plan it, like they did in Japan, one day, we will see our way out to whatever it is that is out there, beyond this life that has mainly been one of being poor, of not having, of hurting......we speak of this several times a year, especially as we have grown older and earth must be faced eventually: but we want to choose the time, the place, and not allow the hand of chance to intervene, to play the trickster even there.

HP
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
Well, not the best weekend, but not the worst. I am starting to question giving up drinking, and if now is the 'right' time, as if there is ever a right time. Or if I care anymore. Life has been so crazy these past months, it is hard to think, drinking or not. I keep thinking, I would like a group, but then that book, and the word God, God, God all over and I can't read more than a line or two without getting upset at the guilt-based angle of the whole thin. They say take what you want, but it's all so tied together, I find I have to leave the whole thing, the whole book. So those meetings scare me, yet I wish I had some social support. Then this dumb schedule, getting out so late, no groups even meeting then, at the most vulnerable hours........

But have been suffering deeply inside, wanting and wishing I had more time to do things that were relaxing, yet so many old medical, dental bills from the years of no insurance, seems to never end the money going out, the wages garnished.....even stopping drinking, I am still broke beyond broke, the difference in savings seems like a penny in the grand canyon, and has ceased to be any motivation. Fells better to drink if I have to work so much, or such has been the fall-out. I feel like I need a vacation, have not had one in years, just work, and now even more work, 6 and even 7 days a week, and still the mountain of debt seems to go down so slowly I feel like I am going to die before it is gone, I sometimes just want to, but lack the nerve.

Thinking: maybe it will be best to die “young”, not try for too much, not be too greedy, , not to be a go-getter who steps on the toes of others, just to be gentle to animals and the earth and others, to not take too much from the world an OD when the time feels right. I have been reading on what ‘works’…..one does not want to bungle a thing like that.

Such have been the thoughts of me and my bf: to go out together, plan it, like they did in Japan, one day, we will see our way out to whatever it is that is out there, beyond this life that has mainly been one of being poor, of not having, of hurting......we speak of this several times a year, especially as we have grown older and earth must be faced eventually: but we want to choose the time, the place, and not allow the hand of chance to intervene, to play the trickster even there.

HP
Suicide is never an option. Go see a head doctor and work on getting yourself well mentally. Most all of us have been EXACTLY where you are right now. We survived. If you feel like you get something, anything, out of meetings then continue to go. Forget the god junk, the higher power junk, the culty junk, and get whatever it is you may get out of it. If you get nothing out of it then stop going but find some other sort of plan other than suicide. Get help. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Windy is right.

If you can't afford a dr when you feel really low just try and be around someone who will stop you doing anything you can't take back.

I can't persuade you that life is always worth living, sometimes I have felt that way myself but you can never change that feeling if you are not here.

We have got to keep hoping that things will change.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Thanks for the concern. I can't afford the co-pays for a shrink right now, but wouldn't mind seeing one in the future. This is the trouble with having insurance.....you no longer qualify for the charity kinds of help, yet you can't really afford the deductibles/co-pays, so you end up stuck with nothing. I'd love to see a dr for help, I love to feel that somebody cared, and could offer help, would offer help, would help.......but feel rejected by the system instead; mental problems seem to be the domain of well helled, at least in terms of treatment.

I'd be scared describing my feelings to a doc, anyway; I've had friends do this: you loose all your rights the moment you mention death: they take control; and treat you like you're nobody, dope you up, treat you like a prisoner. I want to have my dignity, even if I have dark thoughts. And I have not seen any of my friends ever helped by meds...mainly by good therapy or other things, so am very afraid of meds based on my own results and those around me.

Maybe it is best to hang around people, just to keep my mind off it. But it is funny.....sometimes I will talk about it with my bf, and we think that maybe, maybe we will do it together one day, if things keep on going downhill.......it would seem to be more dignified this way. And we want to leave the earth together, it seems important to us, somehow. But not now, I think, look at this in a year, then see where we stand, then see...they say suicide is never an ‘option’, yet many people do it, it is one way to go. And what then? I have always wondered, what then? It’s only that that hold me back, I think, this fear of the what’s then. If not for that, I’d pull the plug today.

HP
Old 08-25-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

husky..just wanted to say that i had times where i had multipul bad years..and i mean really bad...followed by multipul years of really good...then bad..then good...for me today...it is do you wanna miss the good???

anyhow not much help probably but i have to take the focus off the temporary although possibly long crappy times and remember it isn't forever.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd add my voice to the chorus HP - suicide should never be an option.

If I'd suceeded 20 years ago I would have missed out on so much - bad stuff certainly, but amazingly good stuff too.

Life has more twists and turns that I could ever have imagined.
Dying young is a ****** waste.

I know you're just musing aloud....but there are some useful resources in this link - look at them sometime maybe?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-suicidal.html

D
Old 08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Yep. Been there a couple of times. I'm glad I had the sense to back out of the deal. Life gets better....especially when you quit putting things in your body that may be destroying you. People who talk about it often do it. Don't do it.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Got another denial on a prospective rental, after paying over 30 bucks for a credit check. The reason? The reference from my current renter is TOO good.

Husky, you are in my thoughts. I know how strong those suicide thoughts can be. A good CBA on my life at the SMART Recovery site has been helpful to get me to the point I realize life is worth living, even if not for me for those around me.