Old 08-23-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
windysan
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
I don't really have a favorite dish, I love everything. Since it's summer and my vegetable garden is overflowing this year, and I've now run out of jars for canning. It's vegetables at every meal, which is fine with me I love them. So I've been making stuffed vegetables, and ratatouille, and soupe au pistou (it's a sort of provencal minestrone with basil pesto), and moussaka, and a sort of caponata, and tomato pudding, and a really delicious zuchinni cream, vegetable mousse, salade niçoise, and green bean casseroles among other things. If you're interested in anything just let me know, I'll put it in your visitor messages.

WINDY What do you put in a gumbo? Is it spicy? Is it something like a jambalaya, that I 've had.

Gumbo is a roux-based soup. There are several kinds. Seafood, shrimp, chicken, sausage, racoon (lol...really). You start with a roux, add onions, celery, bell pepper, then add your protein, add bay leaves, cayennne, lemon juice, parsley, spices, and okra. Serve over rice and top with green onions and ground sassafras leaves.

Here is a good recipe for duck and sausage gumbo. You can substitute chicken if you don't like duck or use duck AND chicken.

Smoked Duck and Andouille Gumbo Recipe