Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VI

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
mergirl

Again, I missed the post where you said you found a place, but WOOT!!! Where is your new place?

gneiss, my BA is in liberal studies. Besides teaching I think it is good for . . .hmm, coaster?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hey, I know there's a quote thread out there, but I don't feel like looking for it right now, besides this one belongs here anyway.

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.

Sir Richard Francis Burton
Old 08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.

That is another sentiment of pure, flawless perfection. I love it!

my BA is in liberal studies. Besides teaching I think it is good for . . .hmm, coaster?
I have an AA in liberal arts...Might come in handy if I ever run out of toilet paper.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Here's one on faith from the same author that requires a couple readings to get past the old school English...at least it did for me.

All Faith is false, all Faith is true:
Truth is the shattered mirror strown
In myriad bits; while each believes
His little bit the whole to own.

Then this other one applies to us all here at SR, I'd say.

Conquer thyself, till thou has done this, thou art but a slave; for it is almost as well to be subjected to another's appetite as to thine own.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

I was also an English major, emphasis in writing. I have wanted to go back for a MA, money/time permitting. I was never much into literary criticism; D.H. Lawrence’s ‘Studies in Classic American Literature’ is about the only example I can find of something that is more fun to read than many of the works it cites due to hit insight and plain-spoken wit.

I think I am suffering due to lack of having internet access at home. I am cut off from communicating with so many people this way, especially my friends in the furry fandom, not to mention just cut off in general. I hope the phone company can come out like they said and get things working this Friday. No phone or no net for over a month……kept wanting to call somebody, but no way to do it. So I took some long walks, tried to keep busy, but found myself going put to seek human contact. Coffee shops have changed so much since the time I frequented them…..no longer very social, just a sea of lap-tops and text messaging, I try going to them to meet people and hang out like I remember them being back in school, but they are such quiet, sterile places now. So I headed to the Tavern where I know many people, from professional to bum, and got very loopy and then blacked out Saturday……combination of prescription pills, booze, weed. At least I only paid for the booze, and that was magnified by the other stuff, such that I didn’t drink so much as I might have.

I am often reminded how lonely I feel, how much I seek meaningful human contact, and how hard this is to find at my age, with so many folks married and what not, with families, and settled down. Very hard even to find ‘groups’ that share my interests: old pinball machines, the furry fandom(people who have an affinity to/dress up as animals), folks who like to read, but not the latest fluff, serious things…..often it seems that the local Tavern has yielded the best conversations about authors I enjoy, about art, politics, so many things that I enjoy discussing.

Deprived even of my virtual connections to others, I have gone a bit mad. This, with my night time working schedule has been hard on me.

So I am on day three, partly out of will-power, partly from being broke.

Has seemed very quiet here……have been tempted tp post elsewhere, but am still scared of the steppers.

Zen, all, hope you are well,

HP
Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Here's my favorite religion quote:
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

And another one (both by Nietzsche):
"There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings."
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
Again, I missed the post where you said you found a place, but WOOT!!! Where is your new place?

gneiss, my BA is in liberal studies. Besides teaching I think it is good for . . .hmm, coaster?
We are moving about ten miles away. Once settled, we have to have a get-together.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I have a chicken suit.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hi peeps. I am here to say that I am living proof that sobriety w/o any sort of formal program is possbile! I've got 2 years today!!! Happy birthday to me! Now I get to through temper tantrums like my grandson did when he was 2. :day6
Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Congratulations Jamie.

Two days in for me, and not really having a good time yet.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Welcome to the forum Recycle!! Day 2 is tough, but it does get better and easier as you go on. Hang in there and let us know how you're doing. Take care.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Judy
Hi peeps. I am here to say that I am living proof that sobriety w/o any sort of formal program is possbile! I've got 2 years today!!!

Good going! You are an inspiration to me.

to Secular Connections recycle. It dose take some time before one starts to feel better after quitting ones addiction...so hang in there it dose get better or at least that's what I have experienced with my addiction treatment.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

OOOf, well still no great success. A sober day, then a non sober day, and so it goes. Maybe my heart is just not into this. Have tried for about 4 years, I think, and feel like I am just beginning.

SP
Old 09-02-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Wow Judy, the terrible twos, sounds like fun!
Hello recycle, hope you're feeling better today!

Today I feel like we can all make it. I guess I'm just in a good mood for no good reason. Even so, we can lick this thing together, thank you all for being here !
Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

I did a bit of research on the whole postmodernist thing . . . that was probably a mistake.

Two of my heroes (among others) ripped "PoMo" a new one, the brilliant linguist Chomsky and none other than my man Richard Dawkins. The former basically said that the most worshiped figures in postmodernism were full of crap; the latter called them charlatans and said that the movement, "has had a deplorable influence on the quality of modern thought."

Does anybody else out there feel that you suffer from an incurable naivete? Ever shocked to realize that you've been cowed into silence by idiots and as*holes? I know I should leave this alone, and not do my final presentations and papers on the disastrous state of Lit Crit, and . . . it wouldn't do any good anyway. If Chomsky and Dawkins couldn't make headway, I haven't a chance and would just be blowing off steam.

Gosh, after 49 years of life, I really want to grow up and stop *trusting* that people in authority know something that I don't.

Okay: Still sober and feeling good most of the time (despite some sleep deprivation). So far, I like my silly job and don't even mind wearing the cheap, foam-green polyester shirt with the tacky gold name tag. I feel connected to the world in a way that was lacking when I was out of work, and I feel useful.

Hugs all around.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistycshore View Post
I did a bit of research on the whole postmodernist thing . . . that was probably a mistake.

Two of my heroes (among others) ripped "PoMo" a new one, the brilliant linguist Chomsky and none other than my man Richard Dawkins. The former basically said that the most worshiped figures in postmodernism were full of crap; the latter called them charlatans and said that the movement, "has had a deplorable influence on the quality of modern thought."

Does anybody else out there feel that you suffer from an incurable naivete? Ever shocked to realize that you've been cowed into silence by idiots and as*holes? I know I should leave this alone, and not do my final presentations and papers on the disastrous state of Lit Crit, and . . . it wouldn't do any good anyway. If Chomsky and Dawkins couldn't make headway, I haven't a chance and would just be blowing off steam.

Gosh, after 49 years of life, I really want to grow up and stop *trusting* that people in authority know something that I don't.

Okay: Still sober and feeling good most of the time (despite some sleep deprivation). So far, I like my silly job and don't even mind wearing the cheap, foam-green polyester shirt with the tacky gold name tag. I feel connected to the world in a way that was lacking when I was out of work, and I feel useful.

Hugs all around.
I've always thought that many of my professors were pompous, however I always loved to consider the "other side". But I was often left without a REAL opinion on the subjects, it sure doesn't matter anymore.... Glad things are going well for you other than that.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Misty, I have just recently started reading Chomsky and it is pretty good stuff, I believe it will age well. I think that the long tail on "Failed States" will be impressive. I am not sure he ever wanted impact, as he never really offers solutions, he just bonks impractical ideas on the head and gently herds you towards his way of thinking. Pretty tough to get attention if you are not willing to tell people what to do.

Anyway that is about as bright as I get at quarter to five in the morning. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

More problems in the motivation to stop drinking department, and also feelings of lonliness, like I'd love to have some in person support, but am afraid to try AA, as it went poorly in the past, and seemed very weird/culty. Not sure if I'd rather just keep drinking, than endure that. Confused, and also have been acutely lonely during the day, at work, driving, much of the day. Not sure I will meet many/any of my life goals, so am not sure I want to live. Not sure about so much, now.

HP
Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
mergirl

I'm thinking that pretty much any form of support you try right now would be better than nothing husky.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
More problems in the motivation to stop drinking department, and also feelings of lonliness, like I'd love to have some in person support, but am afraid to try AA, as it went poorly in the past, and seemed very weird/culty. Not sure if I'd rather just keep drinking, than endure that. Confused, and also have been acutely lonely during the day, at work, driving, much of the day. Not sure I will meet many/any of my life goals, so am not sure I want to live. Not sure about so much, now.

HP
If you're not sure, give AA another try, then maybe you'll be sure about that. Look for other alternatives too. Hang in there, alcohol is a beast, certainly worse than AA.