Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 8

Old 07-02-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

You can write well too Z. Unless I missed it before,this is the first I remember about you mentioning your prostate in a medical post. You may recall that we're in the same age range. I had two biopsies this year and they found nothing but money. Chances are that's all they will find with you.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

HI all. I am still no further in my 3 slipped disc treatment. The last neurologist I saw said they couldn't do the injections they might normally do as the discs are too close to the spinal cord. I just have to double the dose of Lyrica and suck it up.

I can't accept that. So I searched and asked for referrals and am seeing my GP on Tuesday to get a referral to a top neurosurgeon.

I have good days and bad days. I'm focusing on getting my house read for sale doing what I can and outsourcing the rest. It's Friday night here and the marketing photos happen on Monday and the first open house is next Saturday. Wish me luck! Our housing market is insane. The bubble will pop soon, surely. I'm gagging to get out.

Remember my neighbour who I mentioned was really nice and then casually dropped into conversation that he was in jail for armed robbery and assault? He also said he used heroin in his teens, and then casually informed me he had been using ice regularly until he purchased the flat next door to me 8 months ago. He had a motorcycle accident on the way to work and smashed up his leg. He had surgery on it a few days ago and I suspect he has started using heroin again. He said he got his brother to get him some for the pain when he first had his accident. He also said he used to deal drugs.

Not my circus, not my monkey. I can't get out of here fast enough. The only reason I am troubled by his circumstance is that he got two kittens when he moved in and I worry the he won't take care of them properly if he's using again. I can't get far enough away from active drug users and drug dealers. It's pretty scary when you live alone and he has god knows who coming to the flat next door to me bringing him god knows what. I just keep smiling and being polite and asking about his cats.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

You have a full plate TL. I hope you find some relief from the pain and the sale of your home goes smoothly.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Wow TL, I hope all goes well and can quietly slip away. My brother, the same one that has everything wrong that zero does, had a spine fusion because the pain from his bad discs were so over the top. It ended up being the last straw.

Resentment was my number one issue. Getting over that was huge.

Went to James Taylor concert last night. Amazing. He sounds just like James Taylor. Top notch production and musicians. Totally! Fantastic show and music. Going to impromptu bar-b-que today at my sister's. We decided last night at 11 PM in the parking lot to have a cookout. Wife works tonight - the next 5 nights. Then she has a week off. I have to find something for us to do. It should involve ocean, kayaks and camping. And it's going to be stinking hot in Delaware.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
waking down

Happy Independence Day!

Here's to independence from alcohol...
Old 07-04-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

that's a big 10-4 good buddy!

Spent the day researching travel accommodations. Looks like trip to Maine is a go. Leaving kayaks behind - her's isn't really good for the ocean. Rent em. Money saved on gas and extra axle toll rates, not to mention the hassle is well worth not taking them on a 1400 mile drive.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Raining here. No grilling. Where in Maine?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Happy 4th to my American friends (and family)!

Good luck on the pain management, TL. And keep that distance from your neighbor, Mr. Trouble.
I'm sure the house deal will happen fast and it's probably good to cash in, like you say, before any bubbles burst. Certainly, there are bubbles here in certain Canadian cities. My son and his family plan to move in two years, sell their place and buy a slightly larger one to accommodate the growing family. He says he expects that they'll have to fork out about a million. I can't believe it! How do they do it? Scary stuff.

Good luck on the upcoming surgery, Zero. I hope the results surpass your best expectations.

And enjoy your adventure trip to Maine, LB. Celebrate all that there is to celebrate and be thankful for.

Enjoy that rain, Vet. We actually have started a run of normal weather (not cool and rainy, but sunny and hot!) No grilling for me, though. Eggplant parmigiana in the oven; and garlic chive linguine with asiago sauce about to hit the stove.

On the culture front, I'm reading Lena Dunham's book 'Not that kind of girl', which is funny and fresh and really well written. Delightful. And continue to listen to stuff like Chet Baker and Mavis Staples on Spotify. Life is good this summer. All the best, folks.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Jackrussell - I have moved from Spotify to Pandora. Less ads and you can choose which artists you want to add to any artist radio station. I don't want to pay for a spotify subscription to get rid of the ads. *watches moths fly out of purse*
Old 07-04-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

I am reading the House of Spirits and Whispers which is supposed to be a true account of living in a haunted house. So far it doesn't sound any scarier than anywhere else I've lived but it's a fun read.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

My son gave my wife a subscription to spotify for her birthday. A little nudge for us into the current techno world. You believe in spirits, TL? I think we've touched on this subject ....most of us have had inexplicable experiences that way, for sure.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Years ago I spent the night in one of the most haunted places in Gettysburg PA.
I tried to stay awake waiting for the ghosts to come out to play. They must have been on vacation when I was there. Did the whole ghost tour and all that too to get all spooked up. Nothing, nada...

I am wearing my wetsuit right now - didn't want to just pack it and find out it shrank too much. A bit 'snug' around the middle.
Camping for 3 nights on Hermit Island north Casco Bay - having kayaks delivered instead of dragging my non-sea kayaks along. Spending 2 nights just outside Acadia National Park - camp is full through August - in a cheap motel. Drive up and back will be casual with no plans other than to be heading in the right direction.
So now I have a ton of things to prepare for this trip. Yes, it's all "vacation" that she should have told me about at least a month ago if she wanted to go somewhere. I spent all day trying to figure out accommodations yesterday.
She said I did an excellent job setting it up after I showed her where we will stay etc. Was there any doubt? Of course I have to get a new fishing rod - I have over 200 dollars in points at Cabelas... Cabelas is a huge outdoor sports equipment place.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

jackrussell I definitely believe in spirits. what they actually are, I don't know. I used to live in a "haunted house" with a bunch of other people. The curtain pulls in the living room would start to randomly swing in tamdem until the touched the ceiling, hover there for a while, and then come slowly down. SO many things happened in that house. Apparitions on the stairs that multiple saw at once, childrens voices on the phone lines saying "Hello Tigerili" and such when there were no children at either end.

I belong to a small paranormal investigation group and we go to various places that are reputed to be haunted to try and capture evidence on video or audio. It's hard to catch evidence like that - it's more likely to happen when we're packing up and about to leave that something happens that more than one person experiences. We have captured images on infra red camera that on play back, did not also occur on regular video.

My friend who was a spiritual medium passed away two years ago and several hours after her passing, there is a message on my landline answering machine with her voice saying my name and "hello?" several times.

I have no idea what it all means, but yes I believe in something that might be spirits.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

LBrain - the spirits tell me you need a new fishing rod...
Old 07-05-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
LBrain - the spirits tell me you need a new fishing rod...
And the spirits are right!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Brain, there are lots of stories about spirits at Gettysburg. In fact I saw a piece about it on The History Channel several years ago. The History Channel is very credible. My memory of it is hazy, but it involved what is now an administrative building I believe for Gettysburg college. At the time of the battle it was used as a field hospital. From my memory the story is that two middle-aged ladies were working late one night and were leaving. Three floors -basement, one and two. They were on two and hit the button for one. Elevator didn't stop at one but continued to B which was an office. However, when the elevator opened what they witnessed was not desks, computers and office stuff but instead a macabre bloody surgical room. Wounded and dead everywhere
The blood soaked surgeon beckoned for them to come in. Screaming, they frantically pushed the elevator button until the door finally shut and went up to the first floor. They hurried to the campus police office. Police went to the building and took the elevator to the basement. When the door opened to the basement, there was nothing but an office. History Channel interviewed the policeman who said that he had known these ladies since he was little and they never lied; but he had no idea what happened. And that's how the story ends - or does it?
Old 07-05-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

I can't rid myself of the image of moths flying out of your purse, TL.
Elegantly put. But be proud of that purse management.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

I've had no personal experience of what you'd call spiritual stuff.
My doctor friend tells many stories; one, when she was a resident, she'd pronounced a woman dead. Wanted to find next of kin. A person working in maintenance, washing floors, knew the woman's daughter, and they traced her, and called her in. A chance to say good bye to your mom, was how it was framed.
Some time later, the woman came and was lead into the room to the body. Later, she came out, and my friend, the physician, touched base, asked how she was doing, etc.. She said she'd had a great conversation with her mom, who'd sat up in her bed, they'd been estranged but apologies were uttered and hugs exchanged, they acknowledged love for one another, and then the mom laid back down again. My friend the doc, can only scratch her head at that one. There is so much that we don't understand.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

He all, I'm getting ready for my camping trip to Maine. A lot to do the next couple days.
I was reflecting on how much effort went into drinking, preparing and hiding it from the camp overlords. Most places I camped didn't allow alcohol but it never stopped me. One of the few times I drank beer from a cup - all day long. Sneak to the tent or car for a pull on the bottle and of course wine with dinner every night. Now it's gatoraide, tea and water - I don't do soda pop. Have a great week.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

TL, did the spirits tell you I got a new fishing rod? I purchased the one I was going to get last year before my frozen shoulder thing. That ended golf and fishing for me for a while. Still hurts often, no golf but fishing...
Plus I picked up a few odds and ends for fishing. I decided to just take my freshwater fly rod along. I've had it for years and it never saw water. The farthest it got was today when I looked at it. So I figure, use the damned thing already. I already have striper flies as I was going to go near las vegas on the colorado below the hoover dam. This thing isn't really set up for huge fish, so if I hook into one it will be an adventure - fun city!
Anyhow, I gathered up everything and have it sitting in the garage. Tomorrow I pack some clothes and load the jeep with the camping and fishing gear. Wife gets home at 8 AM and I expect to be on the road by 9.

I also explained to the wife that a couple young girls perished kayaking where we are going. Wind took them off course and they fell in. Hypothermia and died. She doesn't know self-rescue techniques. Or anything for that matter. I took a course. But she knows she can get back into the boat after it goes belly up. Sure...