Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 8

Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

ya know... It's kinda funny but there are many grown men I know who when ever they hear Niagara Falls mention they go into the, "Slowly I turned..." routine.

One thing I do now when I watch the stooges is analyze it. Look at the props and signes, backgound stuff. And the material - it is as fresh today as it was back then. Way ahead of their time. Most of the material is timeless - there were some duds.

Working in the yard today. Can you imagine? Another hot one. Rain later this week. Have a good day/week.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  
waking down

Hey, kids. I survived. I've been to a couple of little fests and shows here and there since I got sober, but nothing major like this. Four nights camping, and because it was mostly EDM (with a smattering of more traditional music) I was surrounded by trippers. Alcohol was ever-present and I'm happy to say I had no desire. It was kind of funny that I was the old guy and because I was not drinking or drugging I seemed to have a lot more energy than most of the kids despite still trying to regain strength from my back surgery experience. Of course, I was in my tent between midnight and 2am each night, so it's not like I was watching the sunrise.

Still, I sense I've learned to value clarity. I remember going to festivals and experiencing a lot of anxiety that was fueled by alcohol and drugs. Though I don't entirely trust my body these days, it's nice to be in relative control, and I enjoyed a solid calm throughout the festival. Excitement doesn't have to exclude calm and clarity, and I was really digging the trance music while clean and sober. Dancing with the trippers was fun (though I was very careful due to my back), and I think because of all the psychedelics I didn't witness a lot of drunken sadness. Trippers tend to limit their alcohol consumption (until they start coming down, anyway, by which time I was in bed).

Another aspect of the festival that I enjoyed was the workshops. I attended some art workshops, one that included watercolors which I hadn't done since high school. Another was about Unified Field Theory. Interesting stuff. We also did a solstice mediation that was synchronized with others around the globe. You are I and I am you kind of stuff...

The more I meditate and the more I distance my head from alcohol and other drugs the more I am connecting with guys like Ram Dass who have for years argued that while psychedelics can be a gateway, eventually they need to be left behind to allow our direct experience with the mythos to thrive. I'm feeling like it's thriving in me these days. When I was drinking my spirituality became dormant.

There were artists from Australia, Britain, the U.S... Pretty amazing line-up. Dee might be familiar with Evan Marc (Bluetech) who has collaborated some with Steve Hillage who played with Gong for awhile and has his System 7 thing going. I think my favorite show was Schpongle, which is saying a lot from a guy who ten years ago thought the DJ thing was silly. I mean, if I want to see live music I want it to be live musicians. I've opened up, though, recognizing that some of these guys are creating much of the music, or at least enhancing and manipulating it, on the fly. It's not all prerecorded is what I'm saying, and computers and gadgets qualify as instruments like anything else. Not all agree...

I hope the pain is passing, TL, and that the rest of you aren't getting too slapped around by life these days. The Stooges are funny, but as a metaphor for life? Hmmm...
Old 06-23-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you had a good time Zero - I know of Steve Hillage but not Evan.
I did a few sober festivals, but I gave up - too much walking around for this guy

D
Old 06-23-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
waking down

Yes, I'm recovering from all the walking. The back is good, though, and the pain reminds me more of days when I would backpack in the wilderness for weeks at a time or ski my ass off for days. I'm hoping all my current pain is healthy pain, and I've felt better as today progressed. A 90 minute massage this afternoon helped. Hasta luego.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Great report, Zero! Unified field theory AND watercolor.? Good to see you so stoked. You are a very articulate adventurer, for sure. And agree that spirituality is thriving. Ram Dass made his mark, for sure.

I am part of a group dealing with an old friend who has descended into a pretty dark alcoholic state. Ran a family business for years. (still does) Carried other family members. Smart, artistic kid. Now in his fifties, in a long term terrible relationship. Another friend reported that he'd hardly left his bed for a few weeks. Doesn't eat. Has the shakes. Doesn't bathe. Drinks big time. We are trying to pull him back from the edge. His liver aches. Trying to figure out how to get him to agree to rehab. Neat thing is that this spread out community of old friends has come together and has visited him and is trying to give him perspective, tell him he's loved, offer the thread, pull him back into life. We have strategies! It's not over yet. Wish us luck.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

glad you survived the festival zero - sounds like you thrived. And it sounds like you are improving health wise as well.

jr, wishing the best for you and your peeps as you attempt to bring your friend back to reality. Hopefully he will listen and be open to help.

Early start in the yard today. Later...
Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
waking down

JR, sounds like you and you're friends are doing the right thing. Sometimes folks just need to know people care in order to prevent complete surrender. Kudos! Just remember, whatever happens happens. Ultimately, it's up to him. I had a friend in that state, but unfortunately we didn't realize it until it was too late. Hoping for the best...

LB, yes, I am doing better except that I'm scheduled for another surgery in two weeks. Laser TURP for prostate. The doc says it will prevent me having to cath every six hours (believe me, this was a challenge at the festival - just hoping I was sterile enough), but my bladder is damaged so we shall see how well I function after surgery.

It's all part of the adventure.

Get down to the funky beat.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Thanks, Zero and LB. We are doing some legwork to, as you put it, Zero, prevent complete surrender. Slight blip up on the graph at the moment.

Just googled TURP to find out what it is. Is this a day surgery? I've had scope work done in the same region. Interesting to chat with the urologist as he moved the cam through the tract, into the bladder, the inspection, like a guided tour. I think they enjoy telling you what they see, what it means, and where we, the viewers, are.
Good luck!
Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  
waking down

First time I was scoped the doc said nothing but, "You need surgery."

The second doc turned the screen and let me watch as he explained what we were viewing. He showed me where my urethra is pinched closed, and he showed me the striations and damage to my bladder, as well as what looked like a tumor (but he assured me it was my prostate pressing against the outside of my bladder).

Two very different experiences. I didn't trust the first guy, but after the second experience I realize the first guy was right - just a poor communicator. Still, the second doc has laser technology and more experience, so he's my choice.

Everything I've read online says it's a day or two in the hospital, but both the above docs said outpatient. They'll send me "home" for the night, but then I have to return in the morning to have the cath removed. Because I live over three hours from the hospital I'll be staying in a hotel for the night. There are risks, but without surgery I'll be dependent on catheters for life, and I continue to risk ruining my bladder and possibly my kidneys.

It is what it is. On the upside, I've already had surgery this year, so since I've met my $5000 deductible, this one should cost me little if anything. Just another month of having to take it easy. I suppose this will help prevent risking trashing my back again.

Wish you well with your friend, JR. And TL, how's it going? And the rest?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

I wonder if William Blake would be surprised to see that his thoughts were still being passed along as gold more than 250 years after his birth.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

hello. I took a day to myself yesterday. Woke up just after 3 AM, ate showered dressed and drove 2 hours to marina for a day on the water flounder fishing. I didn't have the proper setup and missed quite a few. I boated a half dozen - two keepers - plus one black seabass and three small sharks - dogfish. One was close to 3 feet (meter) the other two were about 2 feet.

Hit the rain when I got close to home. Rained all night - no storm just a good rain. Fish are still in the cooler in back of jeep - was tired when I got home.

First time ever on a boat and not drinking. I noticed quite a dew people were not drinking. I always thought everyone was pounding beers whenever they went out on a fishing boat. Did everyone else quit drinking too? I suppose I was the abnormal one all that time.

Zero, my brother had that surgery not too long ago - I think. He told last weekend the doctor told him that he would be peeing like an 18 year old again.
It's always interesting talking to my brother because he and his wife probably paid for a dozen doctors' educations between them.
His wife gets sick just reading about something. Never knew a person who could possibly have everything wrong possible with them besides the fatal stuff. She was running to the doctor in her twenties for - you name it. It's a family joke that she is unable to attend things or help out for things because of her ailments. Yet when she wants to drive 50 miles to the mall and for dinner she makes a sudden recovery. (SHE) is too sick to drive anywhere to support [that]. Last week we went to Longwood Gardens and spent the day then had dinner at xyz. There must be some magic pill that can cure her of everything for just one day - then it's back to having everything wrong again. Especially when asked to do something.
ISN'T LIFE GRAND? I had a good time yesterday while the wife stayed home and studied.
She is happy for a fish dinner tonight.

Since I took the day off yesterday and I have a bunch of plants sitting in containers, it's gonna be a full day gardening.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Hey all. Turns out I have three prolapsed discs in my neck impinging on nerve roots. Fun!

I've been drinking a bit again here and there. I don't know why. Urgh.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Do your best

(((((Tigerlili)))))
Old 06-26-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
waking down

TL, pain drove me to drink to much too often, but in retrospect I think it increased my overall pain. I'd get that few hours of blotto and then pay for it until I drank again. All the while just exacerbating health issues. I hope they can mend those discs. My lumbar surgery was a life-saver. Forever grateful to my doc.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Hey all. Turns out I have three prolapsed discs in my neck impinging on nerve roots. Fun!

I've been drinking a bit again here and there. I don't know why. Urgh.
No one judge's you here TL. We've all been there. You're suffering. You fall off the horse - you get back on the horse. Do you have family support? You always have us. I've fallen off the wagon so many times I'm more use to seeing it go by than being on it.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Everyone sounds good; even TL, oddly enough. It must be a relief to get an actual diagnosis for the awful pain. Next, a treatment plan? As far as the drinking goes: there must be a good Blake quote on the uselessness of guilt and regret in such circumstances. Just carry on, and you'll get to where you want to be.

Sounds like serious fishing, LB. I guess I imagined you in a canoe on a lake with a rod over the gunnel, but I gather you were in a larger boat in the sea. Three foot sharks are serious biomass! Your wife has certainly been very hard at it for a very long time, committed to her goal, and lucky to have you for support. I think that even I am going to be really happy when I hear that she's finished her training, passed the tests and is offered a job in her field!

Work tomorrow, then off to the Big City to visit new grandson. Forgot that I need to set up house-sitting to take care of the pooch and kitty for a day and night. Memory seems to be sprouting new and larger holes these days.

How are things going for you, Vet? Glad the reno is finished? Still tempted to imbibe on the weekend, or is that little devil leaving you in peace these days?

Haven't seen Dee's presence for a while. Hope he's OK.

Grand weekend to all!
Old 06-26-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. It dawned on me that I have nothing to hide so I am going to tell some of my close friends that I am taking time off drinking because I've become concerned at how much I have been drinking. None of them know I have been to AA or how much of a problem it's been, so I think I can just lightly drop it into conversation and I know my friends will be supportive. No one will pressure me to drink. I suspect in fact that more of a few of them will confess they feel the same way. I have always felt very ashamed of my drinking problems and kept them to myself. I am going to start being more open about it IRL. Not at work, just among my close friends. For eg, a friend is coming over tomorrow with champagne to help me pack (I'm moving but that's another story) so I'll text her and say "let's have tea like grown up ladies instead of bubbly because I need to give my liver a break!" It's a total revelation to me that I can talk about it to people IRL who I deem safe. It doesn't have to be my dirty little secret.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Jackrussell - it's a great relief to get a diagnosis. it's early days and I have an apt with the neuro clinic at the hospital on monday with MRI results in hand. The last (also first) time I went there the neuro I saw refused to write me up for an MRI as he claimed it was just a migraine. I shall be writing a very sternly worded letter in due course!
Old 06-26-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I'm still in a lot of pain, esp when keyboarding, but I'm taking Lyrica and prednisone which helps. I am tapering off the prednisone now.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

TL , if I were in the medical field, I do not think that I would like to get a sternly worded letter from you....especially if it comes...in due course! Ouch.