D
Old 08-01-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 9 months Mark

D
Old 08-01-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

9 months Mark!!! And with a victory to celebrate, too. Great work dear friend!

The social situations are tough. Luckily, most of mine include some people that don't drink, so I try to stay close to them. I still get feelings of anger, especially when things get sloppy and obnoxious. And I have no problem leaving or "losing myself" on my phone's SR app.
So thankful for you guys
Old 08-01-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Conquest, my sober date is Oct. 1, so it's actually 10 hard-earned months and this 10th month seems to have been a good one as far as progress goes....so I'm claiming it!

And I don't reflect on yesterday and feel as though I'm missing out so much as adjusting. I'm gonna have to be more selective about how and when I socialize with my brother. It'll work out. I woke feeling good and ran a 5k to mark the day. Got a pretty good time too for a sporadic runner like me.

Edit to add that I agree Conquest, after a certain point it just isn't too fun to hang around folks that are drinking to excess.

Oh the irony of me posting that last part lol!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Mark!!!!! Stake that claim; it's a big one!!!!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

10!!!!! Boom buddy!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mark!! Awesome!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So, this little guy is coming to live with us tomorrow! His foster mom says he has her up at 5 or 6 am so, there is an extra reason to stay sober, lol. What am I getting myself into? LOL.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That looks like a pup with lots of personality! Any idea on breed mix, age, expected size etc.?

Time to put away anything you don't want chewed on! I won't be surprised if your son ends up being the dog's biggest fan.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL sorry Mark - maths has never been my forte....congrats anyway

Looks like a real cutie Phoebe

D
Old 08-01-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a cutie-pa-tootie Phoebe!!! So exciting
Old 08-01-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats Mark!

And enjoy your cute new pup phoebe!

Gotta get moving.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

That's awesome, Mark. It's amazing how much you've grown and overcome during that time. You have a lot of courage and self-awareness. I'm very happy for you.

Phoebe - what a precious little guy! You're right, early wake up is a very good reason to stay sober. It's also a good reason to teach your daughter how to get up with him so you can sleep in.

I hope you're feeling better, V.

Today was the first day this damn fire really hit me emotionally. The fear just kinda crashed down on me all of a sudden as it sunk in how totally helpless we are. I was thinking about driving up there to see if we could get past the road blocks to get more stuff out of the house, and it became a reality that after 35 years out there, we really could lose the house I grew up in, that my dad built, that my daughter loves. It's hard to get your mind around something like that. And when you do, it's pretty awful.

I live 60 miles away, and I can see huge plumes of smoke from here. Now the damn thing has gotten so big, there are two plumes far apart from each other, opposite ends of it. They are bringing in crews from all over the country, including the National Guard, but they still haven't managed more than 5% containment for the past three days. After a while I actually start to wonder what if they just can't stop it, then what? The suspense is hard to deal with, and I hate feeling so helpless and completely at the mercy of something no one seems to be able to control.

So yeah, genuinely scared, and the fear is kinda wearing me out, and today was definitely the first major holy s#!t moment for me. This is crazy.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been terribly close to a bushfire, although the fear of one terrified me as a kid when we lived in the bush.

what if they just can't stop it, then what?
They will, Briar. Fire services are very experienced in dealing with scenarios exactly like these.

It'll be ok...I hope the firies can get things under control soon, briar

D
Old 08-01-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Old 08-01-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
That looks like a pup with lots of personality! Any idea on breed mix, age, expected size etc.?

Time to put away anything you don't want chewed on! I won't be surprised if your son ends up being the dog's biggest fan.
spaniel/collie/terrier. How is that for random? His sister looks very much like a small spaniel, but not so fluffy. They look completely different from one another. He seems more terrier. We hope he will not be a yapper. Oy! I preferred the sister, but my son is shy and nervous about dogs an liked this one. He actually chose an older dog, but he seemed so low energy. I want a walking buddy! We all came to a family compromise. Ds was sad initially, but he is excited now. Having a puppy is quite the social currency.

Briar, I hope those fires stay off of your home. So frightening.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh wow, here's a good one, gives you an idea of how big it is.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Your kids are going to have a blast with him I'm sure. He sounds like a sweet little guy.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This actually kinda cracked me up, though: the following cut/paste from the evacuations part of the state fire website gives you an idea of what a totally wild west, redneck area I grew up in:

The specific areas under Mandatory Evacuation are Grizzly Canyon, Long Branch Drive, Lance Road, Cougar Road, Red Rocks, Meridian Road, Antelope Road, Mule Skinner Road, Flint Look Place, Moccasin Road, Roundball Road, Watertrough Road, Grigsby Canyon, Lucky Canyon, Remington Canyon, Walker Ridge, Walker Ridge Road, No Guns Road, Meriann Drive, Gibson Hill, Stemple Canyon, Harley Gulch, Jack Canyon, and Deadman Canyon.

No Guns Road? Mule Skinner? Deadman Canyon? Seriously?!

According to my morbid sense of humor, this is really quite funny.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've never dealt with fire on that scale. And it is scary for sure. The closest thing I can relate to that kind of helplessness was hurricane Katrina. You do what you can and accept that it's out of your hands...easier said than done.

I hope you enjoyed you friends today Arbor. I was wondering .....if you had your parents or in-laws over for maybe lunchtime grilling, with that being early in the day (and having no alcohol in your fridge) maybe that could be some family time without any alcohol being served. Probably an over simplification, but I hate knowing you're so frustrated. I hope you and your flock have a nice Sunday.

Lol at those road names...I thought we here in the south had the market on stuff like that. You'll never catch me on moccasin rd, but lucky canyon has a nice ring to it.

I really loved my collie phoebe. Seems as though it's a wild card on how big this pup get. Part of the fun I guess, but I bet he's a smart one.