Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 8

Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 12 years ago, when I was 24, so I'm pretty sure I will not start again.
But I would love to try snuff again. I had that about 10 years ago, intense. But it's not sold here and I will defenately not go over the sea just for that.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Couldn't go to work today. Heat index yesterday was about 105 degrees with high humidity. Naturally, I worked in the yard and walked 2 and one-half miles. Sweat poured off of me.

I found out that I was probably close to heat stroke. I was drinking water and ice tea - that's what clean living will do for you. Today I feel wiped out. Everything is an effort. Boss told me to take the day off, but I'm doing a little work on the computer. I lay down this morning for just a moment and fell asleep for an hour. I think I came close to something serious.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

105 °F is 40,5 °C
today we have 17 °C= 62,5 °F this is our summer! This year about 2 °C cooler than usually. I would not survive your 105 degrees. Geez, even our 22 °c is a it too warm.
TigerLily, you would not like it here.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

The 105 is the "feels like" temperature based on factors such as humidity, etc. The actual temperature was 96F. There was a heat advisory out yesterday and I should have heeded it. There's another one today and believe me I'm paying attention.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

lemon water vet... heat index was 112 here over the weekend, today not so bad. But the thing outside showed 85 degrees by 9 o'clock, I actually did some stuff outside...

how are things going Muhv? Hope you are settled and committed to sobriety for good this time. It is amazing how we can be pulled away...
Old 07-20-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Be careful of the heat Vet! Dehydration and heat stroke is no joke.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

I didn't smoke yesterday! Go me!
Old 07-20-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Muhv I think 22-24 C is just about perfect! 17C/62.5F is COLD!

105C/405F is seriously uncomfortably hot. Dislike.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

We're in the 24-28C range at the moment, which is cooler than normal, but quite comfortable. Humidity adds discomfort. I'd like it just a tad warmer but have to admit it's OK as it is. 90's F with humidity would be pretty brutal. The Pan Am games are happening in Toronto, which is pretty close to us, and a heat warning was issued last week since the temp/humidity reading was hitting 35C. I heard Jamaican athletes laughing at that, saying: woh! this is comfy by our standards.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
waking down

TL, good job on not smoking.

Drove home (nine hours) today in epic storms. The interstate was terrifying what with rain coming down so hard the road was a shallow lake and the wipers couldn't keep up. I wanted to pull over but there seemed no place to stop and the trucks were flying; I thought I'd get rearended. But we survived. What a show. More travel tomorrow, this time into the mountains for a class. Looking forward to it. Then vacation is over and back to the grind...

Ciao...
Old 07-21-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

glad you made it home safely zero...
great job not smoking TL - yesterday I decided to smoke my last cigar since I was working outside. I didn't like how it made me feel. Plus the stink. I came inside and was immediately greeted with, "You were smoking!" No more cigars for a while. A long while.
Hope you recovered from the heat VET. Still hot here I suppose. Summer in Pennsylvania - hot and humid. We definitely make the most of the four seasons. I'd like a spring/fall like atmosphere most of the time if I could get it.

Hope you are feeling better Dee.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
TL, good job on not smoking.

Drove home (nine hours) today in epic storms. The interstate was terrifying what with rain coming down so hard the road was a shallow lake and the wipers couldn't keep up. I wanted to pull over but there seemed no place to stop and the trucks were flying; I thought I'd get rearended. But we survived. What a show. More travel tomorrow, this time into the mountains for a class. Looking forward to it. Then vacation is over and back to the grind...

Ciao...
Glad you made it through Z. I saw the reports about those storms in the San Diego area and was expecting to see Noah's Ark come floating through. Drought, Flood, I guess California is going to make its way through all the seven plagues (or however many there are.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

That sounds terrifying, zero! Glad you made it in one piece.

No smoking yesterday! I don't even feel like it.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

how's everyone doing? gonna be a nice weekend here. time to break out the paint brush.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
waking down

Doing good. Just got home from a one-day workshop in the mountains and a couple of days of short hikes (still gotta take it easy). How y'all?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Administrator

All good here guys - just about caught up now

D
Old 07-23-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

glad you survived the migraine Dee.
Mrs is off tonight and we just finished dinner. She made zuchinni pancakes and I grilled up some lean cuts of venison, melt in your mouth - it was like sushi. Salad. The garden is starting to supply us with dinner. Did some yard work and watered flowers. Yard work is never done. Gonna settle in for a movie. Just hope something decent is available. Netflix movie choices are very weak. Maybe watch some more of grays anatomy if it's still available.
g.nite
Old 07-24-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Our summer continues to be very moderate, temperature-wise. Reglar rain, which is OK, and makes the landscape look park-like. But: I'm missing the mandatory few blasts of serious heat.
After a diversion into other work, I've returned to painting the outside of the house, replacing some rotten siding, etc.. Which I enjoy. Listened to Bill Frisell's 'Gone, just like a train' yesterday on my little bluetooth speaker while I painted, rockin out. Another grandkid arrived, a beautiful little girl. Life is good.
Watched a very good film on Netflix last night. Metro Manila. It's an international pic, with subtitles, very moving look at a poor farming family forced to move into the big city. lots of surprises and many ohmygod or no-way moments.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Congrats JR. Really laid back last couple days here. Weather was amazing. Wife had two days off in a row and just lazed around some. Put in her hours on weed duty and discovered a "new" show on netflix, Supernatural. It's okay I suppose, watched a few episodes as I fell asleep on the couch last night.

She works this weekend. Just another day for me. Yard work, house work, practice mando, and think about fishing. Might venture to that place I found a few weeks ago for some fly fishing for trout. But this is one that has to be timed right with the hatch or the fish don't bother.
Really tough stream to fish.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Vet, are you still not drinking? Muhv? TL? How's the not smoking going?

Another Monday and start to the week. Lots of thunderstorms came in last night - didn't cool things down at all. I was aware enough to put the tops on the jeep last night before the storms came - just felt it in the air.

Hope all are well.

I just realized it has been six months since I quit tobacco cold turkey.
Every once in a while I get the urge to pick up a can, but I am more concerned with my health than putting that S%$# in my lip.

Last edited by LBrain; 07-27-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: 6 months no dip