Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 8

Old 06-26-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Administrator

Haven't seen Dee's presence for a while. Hope he's OK.
I'm fine Jack - just having trouble trying to fit everything into a day right now.
Nothing personal - but I apologise if I've missed posting here for a while

I'm glad you have a diagnosis now TL - and I'm very glad you've decided to recommit to recovery

D
Old 06-26-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

So something that has been in the works for about a year is selling up in the city and moving to one of two cities both about two hours from where I am now. I've looked at a lot of property and talked with my accountant until I'm sure he never wants to hear from me again.

I finally made the decision to move to the city down south because I have a lot more friends and family there, and the average temperature is higher as it's on the coast/beach and the other city is in the mountains and the temps get below freezing.

So in the past month or so I have started the sale process. Should be ready to go on the market in about two weeks. I have trades people lined up to repaint the bathroom, the kithen window and some touch ups around the place, the bathroom floor is old vinyl so replacing that with new vinyl, the shower is being re-grouted and a few other handyman jobs about the place.

I've had the first load of stuff taken to a storage unit because when it's staged it will be very minimal.

Its a 1bdr + study flat in an art deco building. It has some great features and the location is excellent but it was a case of buying the worst propety in the best neighbourhood lol. It's on a very busy road, no parking spot and no balcony, but our real estate market here is at the top of the bubble so I'm getting out before it pops. I've been here 8 years. The place is now worth more than twice what I paid for it. So send me your good property selling vibes and if you have any advice for staging, selling etc, let me have it!

I decided not to repaint the entire unit although that would freshen it up because it will take nearly a month to get the first available painter in to to it and I really feel time is of the essence. The paint isn't too bad - very neutral antique white. I'll wash the walls down with sugar soap. I have hired cleaners to come and help me. There are some small things like getting old paint off the window glass that I'll work on doing. I got a little scraper from the paint store. Google said to dampen the area with soapy water to lubriate it so the razor doesn't scratch the glass is that right?

Also, I got a lovely desk on ebay that has a sticker saying it has shellac resin. How do i care for it?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

We appreciate you are busy Dee and how hard you work. We just want to check you are ok and it's not your health keeping you away.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Administrator

No it's all good stuff TL.

I'm not a home renovator so I can't help you with any tips.
One of the other guys might know though

D
Old 06-26-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Sounds like your place is pretty well poised for the market, TL.
I wouldn't worry too much about paint on window glass edges.
Shellac on desk, is water sensitive. Use coasters or you'll get white rings from glasses and cups. (which can be removed, oddly enough, with toothpaste! go figure)
Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

well, a cool and rainy day here! I'm okay with that.
TL, sorry to hear of your ongoing discomfort and that you decided to drink over it. Learn some mindfulness techniques for pain management and how to do a body scan. Good stuff - a form of meditation.

I wouldn't use a "scraper" to remove paint from glass. But it sounds like it should work. I use the blades for a utility knife to remove paint. You can wet with vinegar water or just use a glass cleaner. I prefer to leave everything dry and use a NEW blade then use a damp cloth to follow what you scrape. I discovered a technique years ago for painting windows. I don't tape off the glass and I over paint a little. Then I use my razor technique to remove the paint from the glass. I score along the frame using the frame as a guide for a perfectly straight line. Then angle the razor toward the frame. The paint comes off in thin strips and leaves a clean line.
And if paint spatters on the glass, unless you have the proper solvent - usually water - let it dry and remove it later with a blade.

I know nothing of selling or getting a place ready to sell. But if you pay my travel expense I'll come down and paint... Of course the wife wouldn't too pleased because I have so much to do here. In time...
Old 06-27-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  
waking down

Don't ask me about selling houses. Ours has been on the market for over a year.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Zero and TL - you are both walking a crooked mile. Your challenges are making me understand how lucky I am at the age of 67 to be in the relative good health that I am .

In answer to your question to your question Jack Russell (I believe it was you) some weekends I make it through and some I don't. But because of this group I drink much less than I did. Faceless strangers have become my closest friends and supporters. How different life has become in the Internet age. I have vowed to abstain entirely during July. I am reaching out to all of you to help me be accountable.and I will be here for you too. God only knows where I'd be if I was going through what Zero and TK are enduring. Thanks for what all of you have meant in my life for the past year and a half.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  
waking down

You can do it, Vet. Yesterday marked 18 months sober (from alcohol but not all drugs on account of surgery, etc.). I have to admit I had a bottle of lortab in my cabinet that was talking to me so I poured it out. I took it a few times even though I wasn't really in much pain. Slippery slope. I'll be getting a fresh round of painkillers after my next surgery (in about 10 days). For crying out loud, I still like fuzzing out and nodding off, so I'm gonna have to be good and take them until they're not needed and then stop. For some reason the Percocet in my cabinet have been untouched since a week after surgery (February). Maybe there was something about taking a shot of liquid lortab that made it more dangerous. Pain sucks but I'm doing okay these days. No need for painkillers or alcohol. I'm hoping that after this next surgery I'll be back to living like a relatively young man.

Take care TL. Do what you have to do, trust it will get better, and drop the meds as soon as possible. That's my MO, anyway.

Ciao...
Old 06-27-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

All the best, Vet. You say you only drink sometimes on weekends. Does it compromise your work performance the coming week? What bugs you about your drinking? Why is it a problem for you? I'm trying to remember what you may have said about that in the past.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

I getting older. I think I drink too much when I drink on week ends though not always. I worry about its impact on my health though I'm fairly fit and exercise often. I have this Tinnitus in my ears which sometimes drives me crazy. There are a thousand excuses as you all know.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

LBrain - thanks for the advice. I have a scraper thing that has a kind of razor blade that you can change. I am not going to have the windows painted but I just want to try to remove some of the old paint from the glass.

The painter starts tomorrow (monday my time) at 8.30 and a handyman arrives at 9.30 to work through my list of things to do.

Then I pop up the road to the hospital for my neurology apt and my neighbour will keep an eye on proceedings until I'm back. It shouldn't take long. I'll take the results of the MRI the neurosurgeon SAID I DIDN'T NEED TO HAVE BECAUSE I HAD A MIGRAINE! Still furious about that.

The pain is constant but bearable. I take the occasional paracetamol/codeine but nothing stronger. I am taking Lyrica for the neurological pain and weaning off prednisone which I accidentally took for longer that I was supposed to.

It's possible this will all be covered under workers compensation as it kicked off when I was at work. I left the office and went straight to emergency in a taxi. Something to worry about later. I am on special paid leave until the end of July. I work for a good company.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Thank you all for being here. It's such a safe and precious place for me.

In good news, we had a family dinner tonight in which no one argued or pitched a fit. It was great. My parents, my brother and my niece (16) and my nephew (14). They couldn't be more different, those kids. My niece is a loud extrovert doing a hair dressing apprenticeship and when she is finished, she is going to apply to join the police force. I think she'd be a great police officer. Regardless, I'm really proud of how hard she works. She HATED school, got expelled a few time so went to a number of different schools, so she left to do her trade certificate. She has had a part time job since she was 13 years old and saved up to do various beauty courses to learn to do things spray tanning and hair extensions. She has always worked hard, just not at school lol.

My nephew is more reserved with a shy smile and a quirky personality. He loves video games. I asked him if he'd like to learn how to make remote control robots and his face lit up. There are a few courses for kids in the school vacation times so I'll work it out with my brother. I'd like to pay for it as an early christmas gift.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

TL, you are a wonderful aunt. All this talk of medicines and such I hear all the time, I haven't a clue what they are or how they work. Except percocet since I took that years ago.

Vet, hope you can figure it out. When/If you find yourself reaching for a drink, pause for a minute or two first and ask yourself why you want this drink. Then ask yourself how will it make me feel after I drink it, plus more. I would not keep anything to drink around. Your drinking sounds like it's more of a convenience thing. I don't believe you would break down and crawl to the liquor store just to get a drink. So perhaps the out of sight out of mind scenario will work. Something to think about.

Today is my 18 months without a drink. It's almost like I never drank for how I am when around other people drinking. I don't have to make a special effort to NOT drink. It's just a natural thing for me. Interesting. I've trained myself to not want to drink ever.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Good advice from someone who has been there. It's odd I have known of people who drink 1-2 liters a day and work - amazing. How they function is beyond me.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm with everyone else here Vet - I had a million reasons to drink.
I'm glad I didn't listen to any of them.

I'm more alive now than I ever thought I could be.

Hope the day goes well TL.

congrats on 18 months LB!

hi Jack and Zero
have a good week everyone

D
Old 06-28-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
waking down

Can anyone explain this Robert Hunter quote to me?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Administrator

Robert Hunter is second only to Dylan in a multiplicity of meanings, IMO.

I'd rewrite it as

the light to understand how little grace is earned and how much is given, is lost in the wickedness of pride.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 18 months, LB!

Zero: on the Robert Hunter quote, the individual phrases work for me, which is to say, I get the phrases, but the combined set of phrases doesn't click into a whole. No lightbulb flash for me. Clarifying the exact meaning 'grace', I found this little nugget.....
Grace is currently in the top 1% of lookups and is the 19th most popular word on Merriam-Webster.com.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

do not expect something in return for what you offer, true charity goes unnoticed,
I had to look up grace... it's one of those words of flexible meanings methinks

By expecting to be recognized, that which is given to us may fall short of our expectations, though in fact may be more than we really deserve.

How was your weekend Vet? I think a cup of chamomile tea instead of a drink might be interesting. And some soft music along with it.