SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of December 2013 - Part 8 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/365494-class-december-2013-part-8-a.html)

Dee74 04-24-2015 04:53 AM

Class Of December 2013 - Part 8

Last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-7-a-20.html

D

LBrain 04-24-2015 05:32 AM

It's still Friday here :)

Dee74 04-24-2015 05:41 AM

Still Friday here too lol

D

Soberwolf 04-24-2015 06:23 AM

ROFL are we sure its friday LOL thanks for the new thread D

LBrain 04-24-2015 01:22 PM

Ready for the weekend Vet?

Everyone else?

Searching the web for job ops. Must be willing to relocate is a big thing in the job market.

Soberwolf 04-24-2015 01:24 PM

Hope everyone has a nice sober evening

Vet69 04-24-2015 02:28 PM

Thanks Brain for keeping track. Too busy with work and the house rehab to think about anything else. Everything here is chaos. I'm sitting on our living room king sofa and can't see the TV because our new 3 and one-half foot tall dining room table that belongs in our DINING ROOM is blocking my vision I can't see the TV.

My wife, who is a precise planner and totally organized is beside herself with the inherent hazards and disorganized environment of what is essentially a construction site. She directs all her frustration at me because- well- all the people involved in this disfunction are - well - men! They are doing a very good job which she has acknowledged. However, they are MEN! They don't put everything back where they found it and they always leave the toilet seat up.

I told her before that if we tried to live in the house while it was being completely rehabbed there would be hell to pay.

My 28 year old son watched all of this and I took the opportunity to make this a teaching moment when he asked me why I was being blamed. I told him I wasn't being blamed. I was simply a target to vent her frustration (ladies I will respond to your admonishments in the order that they are received). I told my son that in a marriage a man's mouth is an instrument that must be used with discretion and often operates most effectively when it remains shut.

If I were going to drink, now would be the time. I have to stay focused. That's a good thing.

jackrussell 04-24-2015 02:37 PM

Remember, Vet: there are those who live habitually in clutter, chaos, tipped up toilet seats, and much much worse. Be grateful that you both actually have an orderly sensibility that's being challenged!
Friday begins for me with a light flu. Though I did manage to read an entire Dennis Lehane crime thriller today laid out on one or another couch. A bit dispiriting to still have my wood furnace purring away as we move close to May. But like your reno chaos, this Spring cold will pass. Right?

Vet69 04-24-2015 03:45 PM

Thanks JR. Hope it's just a cold and not the flu. W rather here is much colder than it should be for this time of year; but not as cold as up your way. I'm on the couch too - behind the dining room table which is now in the living room - trying to stay out of sight with just enough clearance to see the News.

LBrain 04-24-2015 05:01 PM

it was freezing here last night and it didn't break forty today - wind was active all day too... gonna be another cold night...

Wanna hear something funny? okay... this is one for ripley's believe it or not.
I always put the toilet seat down, my wife always leaves it up - ALWAYS... WTF? I guess it's a respect thing or something. dunno...I'm a lid down guy - it's called a lid for a reason. Plus I got that fancy slow motion lid that lowers slowly and doesn't slam. I paid for it, I'm using it. I kid you not, she purposefully put the seat up. :gaah

Vet69 04-24-2015 05:25 PM

I simply don't have the words Brain. You have accomplished something no man I know has done.

I've gotten through another day. The electric hammer guy has gone. I'm going to listen to a meditation tape, fall peacefully asleep (hopefully), and wait for him to show up again tomorrow at 8:00am.

jackrussell 04-25-2015 05:30 AM

Toilet lid tale: a few weeks ago I was prepping a recently vacant apt for painting and noticed that the departing tenants hadn't flushed. Having just read an article about how a flushing toilet blasts tiny toxic droplets into the bathroom air, and they can remain air-born for hours, I smugly closed the lid before flushing. Which meant that I could not see that the water in the bowl was,in fact, not emptying, but slowly rising. The inevitable happened. Which proves that even sound theories on practice can sometimes be very flawed.

Vet69 04-25-2015 05:45 AM

Found out that our new toilets have lids with brakes on them like yours. Wonder how much we paid for that....

LBrain 04-25-2015 06:33 AM

29 dollars a few years ago...
It was 40 outside. Typical cool spring day in the works. Must spend time outside - I don't know what I despise more, shoveling snow or cutting grass.

I realize that I should have started this job search thing a month ago - or more. Maybe she'll get a job offer and give me a reprieve. Maybe? We can always hope...

zerothehero 04-25-2015 09:16 AM

Why would flushing cause toxic airborne droplets? Toilet bowl cleaner?

Anyway, on Thursday I was prepping to head to a conference. It was a four hour drive passing through Denver and then another hour to my hotel. I thought I wonder if anything is happening in Denver? I got online and got a ticket to Zappa Plays Zappa at Boettcher Concert Hall (home of Colorado Symphony). I saw Frank once and I've seen Dweezil twice, and I was psyched cuz I thought they were planning some of Frank's symphonic pieces (they don't usually do rock shows at that venue). Turns out, though, that it was his regular band. Absolutely no complaints. Maybe because it was Boettcher they seemed to step it up a notch, and they did utilize six horn players from the symphony for Peaches en Regalia and an out of this world extendd Grand Wazoo. If any of you know his catalogue, here are some other highlights:

Opened with One Size Fits All in its entirety
Status Back Baby
Baby Snakes
something from 200 Motels
Suzy Creamcheese
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama
Closed with an amazing Sinister Footwear

Encore brought out the old hits after mostly obscure works:
Cosmic Debris
Dancing Fool
Moving to Montana Soon
Muffin Man

Amazing show. The one time I saw Frank it was an off night. He hardly played guitar and was just snide and off his game. His band was great, though. This show was a LOT better.

Anyway, when I was drinking I would not have risked having to drive more than an hour after driving several and seeing a show. I wouldn't have trusted myself to stay sober and get to my hotel. The perks of sobriety...

So, after five hours of sleep I endured a seven hour meeting (good lord) and then went to a little music festival with regional bands. I managed to catch five short sets before I couldn't take it anymore and went to bed. Great talent, and much more starting at noon today, so I'm just resting this morning and getting ready for more fun.

As much as I diss on AA, I think I'll go to a meeting here in a bit. I do this sometimes when I'm out of town and doing the music thing. It keeps me honest. Last night I was really tired but the bands were great and I didn't want to go to bed. One female punk band was awesome, but the venue was so small and people were spilling beer on me. Then I saw a Grateful Dead cover band at a brewery. Same problem... The smell of the hops and everyone all buzzed... I got a sudden intense desire to drink in order to get a short burst of energy and enthusiasm but I left. I sat down for some jazz at another venue and it was mostly over for me. When I stood up I realized I was exhausted, and no amount of Earl Grey was going to change that. I'm still gaining strength from surgery, and I'm not allowed to dance, so it's hard after awhile standing around. Earlier I had seen a pretty good metal/experimental/noise band, too, and another alt rock/hip hop thing with fiddle. Different.

Anyway, gonna go to a meeting, and then explore the musical world. I feel like I'm blowing off responsibilities, but hell, you only live once as far as I know...

LBrain 04-25-2015 10:40 AM

Man I am so jealous zero, I wanted to see that show. He played at the keswick a couple weeks ago - about an hour from here and I wanted to go so bad.
Domestic relations prevented...

Saw Frank about 35 years ago in Allentown. He played for over 3 hours - epic.

I could have done without dancin fool in the lineup tho.
Frank's nose thumb at pop of the time, but the song never did a thing for me. But the list you show - wow.

I can hear the guitar on San Berdino right now... love that album. Don't have everything but have a ton of FZ.
I have several vinyl CD duplicates and FZ is one I have several records and cd's... very cool. Dweezle is a fine guitar player too.

Vet69 04-25-2015 12:36 PM

A seven hour meeting?!?! You're a better man than me Zero. Glad you had a great time,

zerothehero 04-25-2015 01:32 PM

Dancing Fool was just silliness. When I saw Frank it seemed like most of the show was like that...Fool, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Valley Girl. He did Joe's Garage, which was cool, but nothing like Wazoo or Footwear. People that don't know Frank don't realize what a musical genius he was. I love his orchestral works. Had he lived longer I suspect he would have done more along those lines, and maybe movie scores...

The AA meeting was good except I wish they didn't close with The Lord's Prayer. I'm ready to go see some more music. Ciao.

zerothehero 04-25-2015 01:37 PM

40th anniversary of One Size Fits All. I remember listening to that album in 9th grade and using the inside cover to clean stems and seeds from Mexican dirt weed. We used to get that stuff for $300 a pound. We would chain smoke fatties and never get too high. What a world...

jackrussell 04-25-2015 05:10 PM

Good to hear the meeting worked, Zero. Understand the Lord's Prayer reservation. Carry on. Enjoy.
Different weed today than yesteryear, for sure. Too strong for me then; don't want to touch it now.