Notices

Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 3

Old 01-28-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Checking in for another peaceful day eating my safe foods.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:53 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. So I am going to start a new eating plan today. I ate what I wanted this weekend and though I didn’t binge, I feel awful today. I guess I don’t need to label myself as addicted. All I know is it is causing me issues and it’s unhealthy so my plan is no sugar or refined carbs. Three healthy meals and two snacks plus exercise.
It usually takes 3 or 4 days for me to feel better so here’s to day 1.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Good morning everyone. So I am going to start a new eating plan today. I ate what I wanted this weekend and though I didn’t binge, I feel awful today. I guess I don’t need to label myself as addicted. All I know is it is causing me issues and it’s unhealthy so my plan is no sugar or refined carbs. Three healthy meals and two snacks plus exercise.
It usually takes 3 or 4 days for me to feel better so here’s to day 1.
Have a wonderful day 1 Sunflower!! You can do this. There is an awesome app called Nomo. You can find partners on there to message and stay accountable with. I am on there if you are interested
Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Day 9

I went to my second Refuge Recovery meeting last night. I definitely saw some people in there that I could connect with but my natural instinct is to keep my mouth shut during the sharing and run quickly out the door once it’s over. It’s sad because there was a girl sitting right next to me who had said it was her first meeting. I could have easily started a conversation with her but instead I bolted right after the meeting.

I feel left out. Like high school all over again. And it’s not real- it’s not anything that anyone is doing wrong. It’s just hard to be in a group where people know each other and shake hands and have inside jokes when you are new to the environment.

Plus the girl who runs the meeting never even came up to me on day one OR two to say hi. I found that odd. If it was me running a group and someone’s had messaged me (I sent her a message last week) I would at least introduce myself.

Anyway I know that in the end only I can be the one to change this. I will keep going and one day I know I will be brave enough to share and meet people.

Wishing you all a wonderful day.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Yes. I’m on nomo. Let’s connect 😊

I hope you are able to connect with some people. When I first started going to A.A. meetings I forced myself to talk to other women and I now have some really good friends there.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Yes. I’m on nomo. Let’s connect ��

I hope you are able to connect with some people. When I first started going to A.A. meetings I forced myself to talk to other women and I now have some really good friends there.
I have the same screen name on Nomo, just look for me in the partners section. I think you should be able to do a search?
I know in time I will feel more comfortable. I still have this feeling like I don’t belong. It’s my age old wound that still needs healing. It seems I am the only one there for eating and I guess I feel ashamed on some level. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Hi all! Mostly lurking for now, but reading your posts with interest. I've been sober for 13 months and successfully lost 40 pounds through tracking calories and walking/jogging. About 6 weeks ago, I stopped exercising and ate enough chocolate and other crap for a small city. Initially, I didn't gain weight and in fact lost a little bit, but now I think I may have lost muscle tone and eventually, it all caught up to me. I'm trying to switch back to active weight loss mode, but it's been extremely tough, 99% because of sweets. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Hey Palmer 😊
Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I have the same screen name on Nomo, just look for me in the partners section. I think you should be able to do a search?
I know in time I will feel more comfortable. I still have this feeling like I don’t belong. It’s my age old wound that still needs healing. It seems I am the only one there for eating and I guess I feel ashamed on some level. Thanks for the encouragement.

ok. I sent you a request
Old 01-28-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
Hi all! Mostly lurking for now, but reading your posts with interest. I've been sober for 13 months and successfully lost 40 pounds through tracking calories and walking/jogging. About 6 weeks ago, I stopped exercising and ate enough chocolate and other crap for a small city. Initially, I didn't gain weight and in fact lost a little bit, but now I think I may have lost muscle tone and eventually, it all caught up to me. I'm trying to switch back to active weight loss mode, but it's been extremely tough, 99% because of sweets. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Hi PalmerSage, great to have you here. Congrats on 13 months sober.

Sweet stuff is my downfall too.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:56 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Hey to my girl Sunflower79!

Thanks PeacefulWater, I'm really trying to stay on track with my eating habits overall, and if I'm going to binge on something, it will be sweets! Luckily, my binges have decreased significantly with sobriety.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Hi Palmer!
Welcome to the group. We are all here because of sugar and the effects it has on both our minds and bodies! It is very common for those of us who are addicted to alcohol to also have trouble metabolizing sugar- this is how this group started. I heard a podcast on Fast Keto with nutritionist Bitten Jonnson who talked about the connection. If you are interested, here it is:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/podcast-t...bitten-jonsson

In the end, it comes down to the fact that sugar acts like drugs and alcohol in the body of a sugar/food addict. So we cannot moderate eating it just like we could not moderate our drinking. By eliminating foods that trigger our cravings and affect our blood sugar, we are able to stay balanced. There is also recovery work to be done, just like with the booze.

Keep lurking or if you need more help please reach out! We are here to help each other
Old 01-29-2019, 02:02 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hey to my girl Sunflower79!

Thanks PeacefulWater, I'm really trying to stay on track with my eating habits overall, and if I'm going to binge on something, it will be sweets! Luckily, my binges have decreased significantly with sobriety.
I can relate to this- I used to do my food binges along with my drinking binges. I know some people don't eat when they drink but for me it was a food and drink free-for all! Thank God those days are over.
Congrats on your sobriety and on taking a look at your relationship with sugar- this is the first step!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Day 10

Feeling really good- I think I've finally got the hang of this although I am nervous about what I will do and how I will act once the cravings strike. I realize now why I was still binging on keto- I would take really small bites of things like the leftover pieces of my kid's pb& j, or a Hershey Kiss here and there. Well obviously that's all it takes to make the cravings begin. I haven't touched sugar in 9 days and haven't had a craving in that long although I did salivate when I saw some pizza in the fridge last night (but that only lasted a few seconds.)
I am learning that the cravings do subside. I just need to give my body time to feel them and then let them go. I haven't had the binge urge yet though- this is what I am afraid of as it's going to come soon enough. But I will use my tools to get through it.

A quote from Refuge Recovery:

“Renunciation is a commitment to let go of the things that create suffering. It is founded on the intention to stop hurting ourselves and others.”

I don't want to suffer anymore. I don't want to hurt myself anymore or be absent for my kids because of the food. Those days are finally over.

Happy Tuesday friends!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Having a good day. Loving my food plan.

Couple challenges in dealing with medical people. I remained very calm and quiet voiced, which pleases me.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

So I have to be honest I had a couple of donuts yesterday. Starting again. I always justify my eating because I’m not overweight so it is ok. But it’s not. It makes me feel awful and I’m using food so I don’t have to feel. It’s like alcohol in that respect. I had a healthy breakfast this morning and I am planning on having a grilled chicken salad for lunch. I will have a handful of nuts and a baby bell cheese for a snack and for dinner butternut squash and black bean soup. I’m writing it out hoping that will keep me accountable to you all.

PR I hope one day soon I can stay on plan and be as serene as you are. It’s quite commendable. 💕
Old 01-29-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

I think your day's food plan sounds perfect love...I have babybels here too. I have one for a snack if I am hungry, or we always have almonds. And lots of yummy yogurt in the fridge....

That's the thing about addiction verses choice maybe with the donuts....but....this is just food for thought () but is it us, or is it everyone. Aren't donuts in fact designed to be so moorish that that is exactly what happens....those high high sugar foods are killers for me....I cannot touch them.
It would indeed be like wine for me....no stopping.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Hello again dear PalmerSage.

...enough chocolate and other crap for a small city.....

When people offer me sweets....you know, cookies with a coffee, or a muffin thrown in for morning tea, or the 'organic' (lmao) sugar cookies that my friend brought me the other week from Costco.....I never ever say yes.

I used to be 200 pounds and I am only 5 ft 3 and a half...I most definitely ate enough chocolate for a small city.

I also drank enough wine to cover most of Australia....well, maybe not.

PS....I had one of the Costco cookies, gave one or two to Nick and then threw out the entire packet (it was huge....)

Nick never noticed. Win.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I don't want you to suffer anymore either darling Sunny.
This is the way I do this too....it is all about loving yourself....ending the pain that we inadvertently cause ourselves....I think.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

I am loving myself by following my Keto lifestyle. I am totally loving it.