View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
Hi all! Mostly lurking for now, but reading your posts with interest. I've been sober for 13 months and successfully lost 40 pounds through tracking calories and walking/jogging. About 6 weeks ago, I stopped exercising and ate enough chocolate and other crap for a small city. Initially, I didn't gain weight and in fact lost a little bit, but now I think I may have lost muscle tone and eventually, it all caught up to me. I'm trying to switch back to active weight loss mode, but it's been extremely tough, 99% because of sweets. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Hi Palmer!
Welcome to the group. We are all here because of sugar and the effects it has on both our minds and bodies! It is very common for those of us who are addicted to alcohol to also have trouble metabolizing sugar- this is how this group started. I heard a podcast on Fast Keto with nutritionist Bitten Jonnson who talked about the connection. If you are interested, here it is:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/podcast-t...bitten-jonsson

In the end, it comes down to the fact that sugar acts like drugs and alcohol in the body of a sugar/food addict. So we cannot moderate eating it just like we could not moderate our drinking. By eliminating foods that trigger our cravings and affect our blood sugar, we are able to stay balanced. There is also recovery work to be done, just like with the booze.

Keep lurking or if you need more help please reach out! We are here to help each other