Notices

Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 3

Old 09-07-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Maybe this thread has served its purpose. Peace and health to all.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Still struggling over here. I know that in the winter, it's that much harder for me and I was led to an article today which helped give me some clarity on the matter:

"You've probably got many theories about why you eat more than you should. But here's one to remind yourself about at least once a day: We eat in winter because we're biologically programmed to add extra fat to our bodies to help us cope with the cold. Squirrels do it. So do bears, groundhogs, and other warm-blooded animals. Eating is not bad, it's just what your mammalian brain is telling you to do in order to manage the cold. From your body's perspective, it is totally adaptive! But since you're not planning to hibernate for the rest of the winter (which would allow your body to burn off all the fat it's trying to store up), you have to find a way to redirect this impulse."
Old 01-20-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Sorry that I stopped posting here love....I am struggling as well.
I put on a lot of weight in the last months....it is what I do when I am in pain....as in not depressed, but hurting. Now Kathy is gone and it hurts like mad but I don't have to hurt for her anymore....and I am now going to look after myself for her and me and my lovely husband. s
Old 01-20-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hi all, good to see thread bumped.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringo123 View Post

I am flying to Colo to go with her to a "Vision For You Big Book Retreat". The AV4U OA is very strict, maybe even stricter than FA.
Wow, I was excited to read this. I listen to Vision For You BB study pretty much everyday. I find it very helpful. Lots of aha moments.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hi ladies. (hope you don't find this salutation too sexist)

Thanks for responding to my request to help Sassy! Nice to help reignite this valuable but underappreciated thread. FYI my wife is doing pretty well with her Keto diet. She has also been attending Orange Theory for over a year now and it's really helped her gain back strength and endurance. Is her diet perfect? No. Does she cheat sometimes? Absolutely. But at least in my view it's progress not perfection. Have a wonderful day!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

You are so lovely AAPJ..... very glad you did this.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Hi friends- I decided after a week of ups and downs and a lot of thinking about my addiction that I need to cut out all sweeteners including stevia and other keto ones. I realized that I pretty much have sweets stuff all throughout the day which obviously doesn't work for my body- stevia in my coffee, and my mints and gum which I eat daily have sugar alcohols. If I am truly a sugar addict, these things have got to go.
I am terrified of this- but believe it or not, I am finally ready.
I wasn't ready when I started this thread 8 months ago but I'm ready now.
I've always said that many things in life are all about timing and this is one of them.
I'll check in tomorrow with an update
Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Too show you just how powerful this addiction is, I could NOT refrain from adding 4 drops of stevia to my coffee! It would have helped if I had an alternative that does not need to be sweetened, like tea. I actually got an automatic tea maker for Xmas but haven't figured out how to set the timer- putting that on my list of things to do today.

I am considering starting a new thread now that I am actually committed to my recovery from sugar addiction. Plus, I want to rename it "Sugar Addiction" as it might attract more people. I think "food addiction" can be confusing and truly, it's the sugar addiction that so many alcoholics also struggle with. Stay tuned
Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Why not just rename this thread love.....maybe.....I think we will all still be on board.

Yeah....the mints and things.....I have a lot of opinions about that....for me anyway.

I use Hermesetas in my coffee. One. I have tried to have unsweetened coffee but I can't. And 2% grassfed milk....well, the cows are grassfed.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Great to see this thread alive again.

Good idea to rename thread as Sugar Addiction.

Where I am at, at present is working the OA program using Keto as my Food Plan. I am abstaining from all my alcoholic foods. The Keto food has shut down all cravings, thank goodness.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Great to see this thread alive again.

Good idea to rename thread as Sugar Addiction.

Where I am at, at present is working the OA program using Keto as my Food Plan. I am abstaining from all my alcoholic foods. The Keto food has shut down all cravings, thank goodness.
This is awesome PW! You weren't keto before right? I have had 5 good sugar free, keto days now and am feeling amazing. Just this time last week I was a disaster. It's still amazing to me how food can affect my mood.
Good to see you again
Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Why not just rename this thread love.....maybe.....I think we will all still be on board.

Yeah....the mints and things.....I have a lot of opinions about that....for me anyway.

I use Hermesetas in my coffee. One. I have tried to have unsweetened coffee but I can't. And 2% grassfed milk....well, the cows are grassfed.
Hey friend- I didn't know I could do that! Do I need to contact Dee or can I rename it myself?
I did manage to do my second cup without sweetener. I just used a little grass fed whey powder/mct. It was fine. If I can just take 10 minutes to figure out my new tea maker all will be good! xoxo
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Ooooo a new teamaker!!! Lovely....I have two very close friends here who are tea addicts and into all of the amazing teas....Briar and Arbor....

You need to ask Dee love and I am sure he won't mind changing the name for you. ♥♥

(Not sure how it works....maybe he will start a new thread with the new name continuing from this one.... ).
Old 01-24-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Ooooo a new teamaker!!! Lovely....I have two very close friends here who are tea addicts and into all of the amazing teas....Briar and Arbor....

You need to ask Dee love and I am sure he won't mind changing the name for you. ♥♥

(Not sure how it works....maybe he will start a new thread with the new name continuing from this one.... ).
Yes! I got it for Christmas so I could switch from coffee (too stimulating for me) to tea. I know how to use it but not the automatic function which was the whole reason I got it- so I could have tea ready for me when I wake up!
Old 01-24-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
This is awesome PW! You weren't keto before right? I have had 5 good sugar free, keto days now and am feeling amazing. Just this time last week I was a disaster. It's still amazing to me how food can affect my mood.
Good to see you again
That's right I had just eliminated my binge trigger foods. Turns out I have far more alcoholic foods than I realised. So as I removed each one as I identified it as a trigger I realised that it was actually a Keto way of eating so I made that my OA Food Plan.

I have learnt an enormous amount from Vision For You meetings.

Great to hear you are feeling amazing. I agree that food has a massive effect on our moods.

Good to "see" you too.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Oh I am so happy this thread is rolling again....gosh I missed this connection. s
Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
That's right I had just eliminated my binge trigger foods. Turns out I have far more alcoholic foods than I realised. So as I removed each one as I identified it as a trigger I realised that it was actually a Keto way of eating so I made that my OA Food Plan.

I have learnt an enormous amount from Vision For You meetings.

Great to hear you are feeling amazing. I agree that food has a massive effect on our moods.

Good to "see" you too.
I love that group too. I was phoning in on the meetings on a regular basis for a while there (last year). I even tried to get a sponsor but it didn’t work out. I might listen to a meeting tomorrow. So much wisdom in that group. And maturity. I’ve been in some phone meetings that were total disasters!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Oh I am so happy this thread is rolling again....gosh I missed this connection. s
Me too Suze...
Old 01-24-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

In bed and winding down after a pretty hectic evening. Our toddler was a mess this evening. He was overtired and hadn’t eaten well and by dinner time he was having an epic meltdown over the way his ketchup looked on his veggie dog. It was a disaster. I left the house and went for a drive. Stopped into a drugstore to buy some toothpaste and as I looked at the food I would normally salivate over I kind of just accepted the fact that I can’t eat that stuff anymore. I think I’ve been in denial for the last 8 months but I am finally coming to terms with what my body can and can’t tolerate. I’m sad and grieving, believe me. I don’t know how I am going to go the rest of my life without sweets, especially on holidays and birthdays. But I’m going to have to figure it out somehow.

I started taking my supplements again based on the book The Craving Cure and it’s really helping. L-Glutamine in some water especially helps throughout the day. I also just ordered Food Junkies from the library. That is the book which is consistently recommended in my sugar addiction FB group. Can’t wait to dive into it and see what I learn.

I want to write more but I’m sleepy. 8:42 over here and it’s my bedtime pretty soon. Thank you guys for coming back and for being here. I hope we can help others and each other along this road to recovery.