Notices

Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 3

Old 01-25-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I haven't done any course work in months. I will get back into it next week...I am working my way through a list of stuff I need to do in the house and me-stuff and lots of finance stuff...and I was pushing myself too hard....desperate to do do do instead of adjust...new country, new home, new climate, new career and a new relationship....well, not too new now.

And then Kathy...man....I just stopped caring about me at all for a while....I was spending as much time as possible talking with her....and being there for her....I wasn't dealing with my guilt over not studying and I just started eating....carbs....yep.....

But I had 4 days to myself this week.....and it was very good for me. I was able to get introspective in the way I only can in silence. And I saw it all clearly....it is all OK. Nick and I are a great team now....just the way I always hoped it could be. So instead of feeling ashamed of myself for stopping caring for me....we talked about it and I have love and support. And understanding....gosh....I certainly did not plan to get married and let myself go, so to speak...I was so upset. Now I am ok.....it is hardly the end of the world and one day at a time I am seeing me again in the mirror.

And reaching out again....to you....and here....this is good. This is the healing stuff for me.

Thank you.

Thank YOU for always being open and honest and sharing you love with all of us.
I understand now all that happened- it makes clear sense.

I am beyond happy that you and Nick are in this amazing place- it's what you always wanted and needed.
And don't worry about the weight gain. You know I have been a person who has obsessed with my weight and body for over two decades and I'm finally at the point where I can think- -so what? It's just fat on my body- it is not permanent!

Not to mention it's totally normal for the human body to want to eat more and gain in cold weather! You will get back to your comfortable place, it's just a matter of time. Take it slowly and you will be ok- you know how to feed your body well and I am certain you are doing so right now.

Go easy on yourself- last year was such a ride for you- and you survived it and came out on the other side with even more grace and wisdom than before. Then Kathy's death on top of that- it was a lot.

But it will get better, I just know it.
And I've got your back, always...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome and for the link Sunflower.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Good morning all, checking in for another peaceful day of Abstinent eating.

My peace and calmness comes from my Abstinence, I clearly see that.

Eating my alcoholic foods is like pouring petrol on a fire!

Had an very early morning situation with husband (is very ill with heart failure and a whole list of other ailments), I marvel at my calmness in handling it. If I was in the food, I would be in a panic, making a big fuss, raising my voice and being sharp tongued.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Good morning. So I ate a couple of pizza slices yesterday and a cookie. I didn’t binge though so I guess progress 🤷🏼*♀️
Today I will do better. 3pm to about 5 is when my cravings are the worst. I guess, like alcohol I will just have to ride out the cravings.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

I had pizza last night too. But I had more than a couple of slices....maybe 4. And it was so good.

I cook/make dinner about 5 nights a week and then I lose my mind. Yesterday I fought with potatoes that I had put in the fridge and discovered why you CANNOT put potatoes in the fridge in America. They go completely starchy so fast (this never happened in Oz...different potatoes or weather or something) and I cooked them and tried to put them through my awesome potato ricer 3 times....put them back on....etc....nearly broke my wrists....well not quite but my hands are bruised and sore today.

So I had a mini meltdown and Nick graciously got us pizza for dinner.....really nice pepperoni and green pepper and pineapple (my design) and we watched a few episodes of the latest series of Grace and Frankie and it was kind of lovely.

Somehow I allow myself a Friday or Saturday night to eat junk food....but I didn't have any of the ice cream I served Nick....I actually took out a bowl for me, looked at it and put it away. Ha ha.

This is my ricer:

Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post

Had an very early morning situation with husband (is very ill with heart failure and a whole list of other ailments), I marvel at my calmness in handling it. If I was in the food, I would be in a panic, making a big fuss, raising my voice and being sharp tongued.
Oh gosh love....I am so very sorry.
Love and prayers for your husband....and so much love for you.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Oh gosh love....I am so very sorry.
Love and prayers for your husband....and so much love for you.
Thank you for your kindness. xx
Old 01-26-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

How beautiful to be able to handle life’s challenges with grace and serenity. I know I can be a moody basket case when I am in the food as well.
I listened to probably my favorite Vision For You meeting today. It was from April 1, 2018. Just mind blowing. I am so relieved to be on the path to recovery. It feels different this time. It feels real. Now I just need to find a mentor to help me with my inventory and questions (Refuge Recovery). Or I might just call the lady who was in the podcast.

Lunch break- gotta head back into work now. Feeling good and hopeful and grateful for my sobriety and self awareness today.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Peaceful Water I’m so sorry to hear your husband is so ill but how wonderful to be able to handle the situation with such grace.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I had pizza last night too. But I had more than a couple of slices....maybe 4. And it was so good.

I cook/make dinner about 5 nights a week and then I lose my mind. Yesterday I fought with potatoes that I had put in the fridge and discovered why you CANNOT put potatoes in the fridge in America. They go completely starchy so fast (this never happened in Oz...different potatoes or weather or something) and I cooked them and tried to put them through my awesome potato ricer 3 times....put them back on....etc....nearly broke my wrists....well not quite but my hands are bruised and sore today.

So I had a mini meltdown and Nick graciously got us pizza for dinner.....really nice pepperoni and green pepper and pineapple (my design) and we watched a few episodes of the latest series of Grace and Frankie and it was kind of lovely.

Somehow I allow myself a Friday or Saturday night to eat junk food....but I didn't have any of the ice cream I served Nick....I actually took out a bowl for me, looked at it and put it away. Ha ha.

This is my ricer:

Sorry to read of your mini meltdown. I have had plenty of those in my time so I relate very strongly.

I am, at long last, at the place of surrender where I only eat my Food Plan. I used to allow myself meals or a day off it but then all my cravings, crazy behaviours, mood swings would restart.

I now totally surrender and am on my Food Plan 100% of the time. Initially I had toddler like tantrums and grief about the food I could no longer eat but that passed and now I love it. Safe foods 24/7 and I feel safe in myself.

Like with alcohol, I CANNOT moderate! Well I could but life is hell!

Hope you have a good Sunday.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Peaceful Water I’m so sorry to hear your husband is so ill but how wonderful to be able to handle the situation with such grace.
Thank you, that is kind of you. AH and I were heavy, daily drinking buddies for years. I managed to quit 8 1/2 years ago, he did not. Sadly he is paying the health cost of his drinking. I am so very thankful I found the acceptance to quit.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:41 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post

I listened to probably my favorite Vision For You meeting today. It was from April 1, 2018. Just mind blowing. I am so relieved to be on the path to recovery. It feels different this time. It feels real. Now I just need to find a mentor to help me with my inventory and questions (Refuge Recovery). Or I might just call the lady who was in the podcast.
I looked for this meeting and couldn't find it on the Vision4U site. If you are able, would you link it for me.

Thank you for your lovely comments about me. I owe my grace to working my program.

I have a recovery buddy that I have worked with for about 7 years. I find it a massive help. I hope you will too.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Checking in for a peaceful and restful Sunday. Feeling well and emotionally stable. Cravings free.

My lovely Food Plan for today is -

bf - eggs and corned beef, cheese, mayo
lunch - turkey fried in butter, green veg, cheese
Evening - avocado, cheese, ham, asparagus

nothing in between meal except black coffee, herbal teas, water.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:53 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Good morning. So I ate a couple of pizza slices yesterday and a cookie. I didn’t binge though so I guess progress 🤷🏼*♀️
Today I will do better. 3pm to about 5 is when my cravings are the worst. I guess, like alcohol I will just have to ride out the cravings.
I'm like you- those evening cravings are the hardest. Are you eating enough before 3 pm? Could any of the cravings be due to real hunger?

Also, how does your body feel when you eat pizza and a cookie? Does it affect your mood? Some people can moderate sugar. My husband for example, can eat dessert at an event and act like nothing happened. He does not attach emotions like guilt to his food choices. Are you able to do the same? Or do you constantly fall back into a pattern of binging?

I think the hardest thing about this is trying to figure out if we are true food addicts or not. There is a nutritionist who does assessments and I am considering having one done but it's pricey, $220. His website is Trigger Free Nutrition, in case anyone is interested in checking it out. You could probably use your FSA if you have that.

How are you feeling today Sunflower?
Old 01-27-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

I looked for this meeting and couldn't find it on the Vision4U site. If you are able, would you link it for me.

Thank you for your lovely comments about me. I owe my grace to working my program.

I have a recovery buddy that I have worked with for about 7 years. I find it a massive help. I hope you will too.
Hm..
Here is what it looks like in the podcast:

Episode 271
Leaning in or Leaning OUt
Staying Close or Connected to God- Ginger C
Old 01-27-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Thank you, that is kind of you. AH and I were heavy, daily drinking buddies for years. I managed to quit 8 1/2 years ago, he did not. Sadly he is paying the health cost of his drinking. I am so very thankful I found the acceptance to quit.
I admire you for staying with him. That is an act of true love and compassion.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

This is my ricer:

I'm sorry about your wrist and your fight with the potatos! I have never seen a "ricer" before- I use a potato masher- maybe those are more gentle on the wrists? I hope you are feeling less sore today.

Nick is kind to help you out in these situations. I don't think you are alone in the weekend eating- there is something about the energy of the weekend that you are probably picking up on as an empath. People tend to "let loose" and relax a little more, even with the food. Do you think you are comfortable eating a few slices of pizza or do you want to eliminate these food completely?

It's so hard figuring out what does and doesn't work for our bodies because there are days we can moderate and days we cannot. It's kind of like alcohol, right? The alcoholic tries to justify his/her drinking by saying the are sometimes able to stop at 1 or 2 and other times not. That's what is so confusing about the food. If we can moderate one day and not the other, how do we know if we are true addicts?

Just something to think about.
I hope you wake up feeling better today Suze.
Many hugs from Baltimore...
Old 01-27-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Here's a podcast with the speaker, David Wolfe (not the raw food David Wolfe) and sugar addiction. He is the one in theFB group that does the assessments.

https://ditchthedietacademy.com/29-a...h-david-wolfe/
Old 01-27-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

I feel much better physically today....the week's mostly good eating is starting to show.....I can feel my body happily trying to shed the extra baggage.

I am frozen though.....need to turn up the heat before I can type anything else. Brrrrrrr. s
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Hm..
Here is what it looks like in the podcast:

Episode 271
Leaning in or Leaning OUt
Staying Close or Connected to God- Ginger C
Thank you, I found it.