Notices

Sugar Addiction Recovery Thread Part 3

Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

I understand.....I don't think a lot more words right now could express it better. I just understand. Denial is a weird place once the jokes are done.....somewhat surprising....for me as well....but we are AWAKE. We are living with intention and purpose....and we are heard....look at what Dee did just straight away....gosh...imagine if all men were that awesome....ok...tongue in cheek...cos my husband really is that awesome and so are so many many men.

I like connecting like this again with you Sunny and all of you....I got lost...this thread is incredibly important to me.....I am in a horrible physical mess right now....I am over feeling sorry for myself for how I got here and Nick is lovely and supportive....I have a ton of weight to lose....to be comfortable and happy again. I can do it.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:37 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
In bed and winding down after a pretty hectic evening. Our toddler was a mess this evening. He was overtired and hadn’t eaten well and by dinner time he was having an epic meltdown over the way his ketchup looked on his veggie dog. It was a disaster. I left the house and went for a drive. Stopped into a drugstore to buy some toothpaste and as I looked at the food I would normally salivate over I kind of just accepted the fact that I can’t eat that stuff anymore. I think I’ve been in denial for the last 8 months but I am finally coming to terms with what my body can and can’t tolerate. I’m sad and grieving, believe me. I don’t know how I am going to go the rest of my life without sweets, especially on holidays and birthdays. But I’m going to have to figure it out somehow.

I started taking my supplements again based on the book The Craving Cure and it’s really helping. L-Glutamine in some water especially helps throughout the day. I also just ordered Food Junkies from the library. That is the book which is consistently recommended in my sugar addiction FB group. Can’t wait to dive into it and see what I learn.

I want to write more but I’m sleepy. 8:42 over here and it’s my bedtime pretty soon. Thank you guys for coming back and for being here. I hope we can help others and each other along this road to recovery.
I so relate to the grieving you mention of realising that certain foods are just not for me. The logical part of me can very clearly see how ill they make me. Mentally and physically but I feel very acutely feel their emotional loss.

I found the Vision for You meeting a complete eye opener. Also the Kitchen Sink & Light a Candle Meetings podcasts. Here in England there is nothing like that. These were all life changers for me.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I understand.....I don't think a lot more words right now could express it better. I just understand. Denial is a weird place once the jokes are done.....somewhat surprising....for me as well....but we are AWAKE. We are living with intention and purpose....and we are heard....look at what Dee did just straight away....gosh...imagine if all men were that awesome....ok...tongue in cheek...cos my husband really is that awesome and so are so many many men.

I like connecting like this again with you Sunny and all of you....I got lost...this thread is incredibly important to me.....I am in a horrible physical mess right now....I am over feeling sorry for myself for how I got here and Nick is lovely and supportive....I have a ton of weight to lose....to be comfortable and happy again. I can do it.
Beautifully expressed. We are AWAKE. With all the pain and grit that comes with it as well as happiness.

I am very grateful to be AWAKE and not in the food in a walking coma.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:48 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Good morning, am grateful to be out of the food today.

I have a little flu bug that is doing the rounds at present. So am resting up at home.

My Keto food plan all in place. I have plenty of appropriate foods in my home. Hubby is not on Keto but I am fine with seeing his foods here. To put in perspective is only the same as seeing his alcohol in our home. I am neutral to his alcohol these days. (I am 8 1/2 years sober).

So am gratefully checking in for an Abstinent day.

Thank you Dee for changing the thread title.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:08 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

In case anyone is interested, here are some resources for food addiction and its various types:

https://foodaddictioninstitute.org/r...group-support/
Old 01-25-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Good morning, am grateful to be out of the food today.

I have a little flu bug that is doing the rounds at present. So am resting up at home.

My Keto food plan all in place. I have plenty of appropriate foods in my home. Hubby is not on Keto but I am fine with seeing his foods here. To put in perspective is only the same as seeing his alcohol in our home. I am neutral to his alcohol these days. (I am 8 1/2 years sober).

So am gratefully checking in for an Abstinent day.

Thank you Dee for changing the thread title.

Good morning PW- I am glad you have found a way to live in peace with those foods and the alcohol around you. I have to do it with the food as well (3 other non keto people in my home) but the alcohol I would probably not like being around. 8.5 years is amazing- something to be really proud of. I can't wait to celebrate 2 in May

Anna changed the thread- I pm'd her yesterday
I hope we can get more people that need help- this addiction is so real and so misunderstood.

Have a great day!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:25 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

I so relate to the grieving you mention of realising that certain foods are just not for me. The logical part of me can very clearly see how ill they make me. Mentally and physically but I feel very acutely feel their emotional loss.

I found the Vision for You meeting a complete eye opener. Also the Kitchen Sink & Light a Candle Meetings podcasts. Here in England there is nothing like that. These were all life changers for me.
I will have to look into the Sink & Light a Candle Meeting!
I wish they had a podcast for A Vision for You- it would such an easy way to listen in my car!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

I must mention that I had actually emailed Anna since I saw she was the one who posted this thread - but of course our awesome Dee would have helped right away too. Thank you again Anna!

I'm sorry you are hurting so much inside.
It's not about the weight my dear friend- it's about healing the wounds that are pulling you towards the food. It's about healing in general. I think there is so much more work to be done for all of us but look at how amazing we are- there are people (like the members of my immediate AND extended family) who do not search for more- who do not wish to grow and become enlightened and spiritual beings. They don't look for wounds to heal and ways to grow from the darkness. I can't even imagine living that way- day to day as if nothing is ever going to change.

I thrive on change. I can look back on my life and see change every single day. Every week is an adventure. Every single week I look back and can see how I am different- it is a true miracle what we can do if we put our heart and soul into it!

The feeling I get from you Suze (from your higher self) is that you need more people around you. A physical place you can go to where you can be loved and accepted. I know you do so much for SR- you are here for everyone on a daily basis and the love you have given is really more than most of us can do. But what about in the "real world?" I get a sense that your soul is lonely and wants to be with others- does this ring true for you at all? I know if I don't connect face to face with people on a weekly basis I feel complete broken and empty. Even just going for a massage or acupressure, or that craniosacral therapy- just letting someone else touch you, care for you- be there for you unconditionally for 60 minutes. Maybe it would help take some of the pain away.
I hope I haven't overstepped. All I want is to see you happy.
And you know you can call me anytime...I love you!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:42 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Good morning. I’d like to hop in on this thread again. I’m so glad to see it active. I don’t know if I’m addicted to sugar but it is definitely causing some issues. I want to lose some fat but I am having trouble sticking to eating healthily. And I am definitely an emotional eater. Maybe this thread will help to keep me accountable.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

I listen to Vision For You on podcast.

https://www.avision4you.info/

They put all the two daily phone meetings as well as specials on Sundays. I have never taken part by phone, always by listening to podcast.

https://www.oalaig.org/laig-virtual-speakers-bureau/

This is the Light a Candle and Kitchen Sink OA groups podcasts.

The information shared has been life changing to me.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I must mention that I had actually emailed Anna since I saw she was the one who posted this thread - but of course our awesome Dee would have helped right away too. Thank you again Anna!

I'm sorry you are hurting so much inside.
It's not about the weight my dear friend- it's about healing the wounds that are pulling you towards the food. It's about healing in general. I think there is so much more work to be done for all of us but look at how amazing we are- there are people (like the members of my immediate AND extended family) who do not search for more- who do not wish to grow and become enlightened and spiritual beings. They don't look for wounds to heal and ways to grow from the darkness. I can't even imagine living that way- day to day as if nothing is ever going to change.

I thrive on change. I can look back on my life and see change every single day. Every week is an adventure. Every single week I look back and can see how I am different- it is a true miracle what we can do if we put our heart and soul into it!

The feeling I get from you Suze (from your higher self) is that you need more people around you. A physical place you can go to where you can be loved and accepted. I know you do so much for SR- you are here for everyone on a daily basis and the love you have given is really more than most of us can do. But what about in the "real world?" I get a sense that your soul is lonely and wants to be with others- does this ring true for you at all? I know if I don't connect face to face with people on a weekly basis I feel complete broken and empty. Even just going for a massage or acupressure, or that craniosacral therapy- just letting someone else touch you, care for you- be there for you unconditionally for 60 minutes. Maybe it would help take some of the pain away.
I hope I haven't overstepped. All I want is to see you happy.
And you know you can call me anytime...I love you!
First of all ~ thank you Anna.

And Sunny....my gosh girl....I am crying again....you are 100% right.
And I have only ever felt 'known' like this by a very very few friends in my life....I love you and I am so grateful for you.

You have not overstepped at all....just thank you.
The only part I am not likely to do is any kind of therapy that involves touch....I do not like....as in WILL NOT be touched by strangers...I think you know I am psychic....I cannot have intimate contact unless I am prepared for the emotional and mental experience as well...hmmm....this is a bit out there, but it is true for me.

My soul is indeed lonely....but like you, every day, every week is a new experience and I am growing and changing and it is now time for me...really Suze-time.

I am no longer overeating. Nick and I are in a very good place....and I really do want to live here now. I am happy.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Good morning. I’d like to hop in on this thread again. I’m so glad to see it active. I don’t know if I’m addicted to sugar but it is definitely causing some issues. I want to lose some fat but I am having trouble sticking to eating healthily. And I am definitely an emotional eater. Maybe this thread will help to keep me accountable.
Hi Sunflower! It's good to see you again. I'm sorry you are still struggling. There is a quiz if you'd like to take it:

I am considering having an assessment with a sugar addiction counselor to see if I truly am an addict but most signs are pointing to YES.
It is much more common than people realize for alcoholics to also be sugar addicts- and this means that a huge part of our alcoholism was actually the physical addiction to sugar. It makes total sense to me.

Are you on FB? There is a great group with lots of info. It's called Sugarbomb in your Brain. The leader, Bitten Jonnson is the first one I heard talk about true sugar addiction. Did you ever listen to the podcast that got me to start this thread in the first place?

It's from the podcast Fast Keto:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/podcast-t...bitten-jonsson
Old 01-25-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Just had a cool thought- if I could beat this, how amazing would it be to be certified to help others with sugar addiction? Bitten Jonnson, the woman who got me started on all of this actually trains sugar addiction counselors!
I feel like this needs to get out there more. It's taboo, it's confusing. People haven't made the connection between alcoholism and food addiction but it's so damn real and more prevalent than we realize.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

I listen to Vision For You on podcast.

https://www.avision4you.info/

They put all the two daily phone meetings as well as specials on Sundays. I have never taken part by phone, always by listening to podcast.

https://www.oalaig.org/laig-virtual-speakers-bureau/

This is the Light a Candle and Kitchen Sink OA groups podcasts.

The information shared has been life changing to me.
Oh my gosh- I just made the connection! I listen to the Los Angeles OA group but I didn't realize it was called Light a Candle (even though they say it at the beginning of each meeting...)

Thank you so much for telling me there is a podcast for AV4U! I just subscribed!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

I can only imagine how much a counsellor like that could have helped me when I was 200 pounds....I actually didn't eat that much, but I was radically addicted to sugar. I just swapped to wine later on.....more sugar.

I think this path you are on is wonderful love....also the hospice training...I am familiar with that work. Well, in elder care I lost a lot of people....and was there for them in the final stages. It is similar I guess....at least it gives me an understanding of what you are learning.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

First of all ~ thank you Anna.

And Sunny....my gosh girl....I am crying again....you are 100% right.
And I have only ever felt 'known' like this by a very very few friends in my life....I love you and I am so grateful for you.

You have not overstepped at all....just thank you.
The only part I am not likely to do is any kind of therapy that involves touch....I do not like....as in WILL NOT be touched by strangers...I think you know I am psychic....I cannot have intimate contact unless I am prepared for the emotional and mental experience as well...hmmm....this is a bit out there, but it is true for me.

My soul is indeed lonely....but like you, every day, every week is a new experience and I am growing and changing and it is now time for me...really Suze-time.

I am no longer overeating. Nick and I are in a very good place....and I really do want to live here now. I am happy.
Ah, I understand about the touch- sorry for recommending 3 avenues of hands on healing!
I am glad you are happy now. I find periods of happiness as well. The problem is that they never last because we will continue to have ups and downs and bad days where the food calls us for comfort. It's those days we have to be prepared for.
Like today is day 6 where I haven't wanted to binge. But I know for sure that the craving is going to come and that I'm going to have to find a way to get through it. Everything is so fleeting and temporary, you know?

How is your coursework going? I'm sorry I haven't asked in a while...

Oh, and I am very grateful for you as well, but you know how much I adore you!!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

I haven't done any course work in months. I will get back into it next week...I am working my way through a list of stuff I need to do in the house and me-stuff and lots of finance stuff...and I was pushing myself too hard....desperate to do do do instead of adjust...new country, new home, new climate, new career and a new relationship....well, not too new now.

And then Kathy...man....I just stopped caring about me at all for a while....I was spending as much time as possible talking with her....and being there for her....I wasn't dealing with my guilt over not studying and I just started eating....carbs....yep.....

But I had 4 days to myself this week.....and it was very good for me. I was able to get introspective in the way I only can in silence. And I saw it all clearly....it is all OK. Nick and I are a great team now....just the way I always hoped it could be. So instead of feeling ashamed of myself for stopping caring for me....we talked about it and I have love and support. And understanding....gosh....I certainly did not plan to get married and let myself go, so to speak...I was so upset. Now I am ok.....it is hardly the end of the world and one day at a time I am seeing me again in the mirror.

And reaching out again....to you....and here....this is good. This is the healing stuff for me.

Thank you.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Sorry I haven't caught up properly with the other posts on the thread guys.....busy day.....multi-tasking. s
Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post

Glad to see you here, Sunflower79
Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Glad to see you dear PW and you too Sunflower. s