Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 02-24-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just waking up 7.07am here in Melbourne. Big congrats to knb! Awesome work.
Keep your head up safe and sound. Please don't let this turn into a relapse. Jump straight back on the horse X
Old 02-24-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Rrrrrgggh. I am ashamed to say I drank last night. I had a month of sobriety It was a combination of stress about my husband, feeling overwhelmed by the new program I'm in, anger and self-pity.

But really there was no reason for it at all. Except alcoholism. I didn't think of a single one of the strategies for dealing with triggers that I wrote pages on in my journal!! I just saw a beer, grabbed it, and opened it. All in a split second.

I didn't black out, thank God. But I didn't even enjoy it. I didn't feel relief or happiness, just more depression.

It's weird because at a meeting yesterday, I heard that you can't let your sobriety depend on the ups and downs of life. Then I did exactly that.

I've been writing about it and reading recovery stuff all day so far. I will not drink today. Who knows what will happen? What could I lose next time? I lucked out but am very aware that I risked everything. And I don't want to live that life anymore.

Congrats to knb. And thank you so much for your hard work, Coco, and for posting lots.
At least your back and posting and not drinking today. You're not giving up although you had a slip up. Pick yourself up, dust off and off we go again, right?
Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
Hi guys, just waking up 7.07am here in Melbourne. Big congrats to knb! Awesome work.
Keep your head up safe and sound. Please don't let this turn into a relapse. Jump straight back on the horse X
Thank you Sansa.
  # 224 (permalink)  

Oh and my sober app is saying I have been sober for 17 days, so must be waking up to day 18 today! Looking forward to when I can say 3 weeks.
  # 225 (permalink)  

Ok so it's just me, safeandsound and old tomato. From the UK?
Old 02-24-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Old fart? Really?
Hi JL

Youre doing the right thing by staying home, you must look after yourself, its most important.

Oh yeah the "old fart" comment. Im am about your age and I don't really consider myself an old fart. I just said that. To a 20 year old Im probably an old fart though lol. I was just trying to put it in perspective. When I think about the 25 year difference between 20 and 45........its a loonnngggg time.

I sort of feel Ive wasted the past 8 years of my precious life drinking, and probably shortened my life by drinking (increased risk of cancer, diabetes, heart problems, scared liver etc). Im not being all negative and depressing. For me its most important to face reality.

I did that when I gave up smoking too. Everybody said "OMG WHY are you doing THAT, that's so gruesome and depressing". I used to watch youtube clips for hours (sometimes) each day of people dying of lung cancer from smoking to STOP my cravings. I watched and listened to their stories, and the stories of their family. Some left behind little children who will never remember them because they were too young. I also watched medical and surgical youtube clips where it showed you a lung being pulled out riddled with tumors. I did whatever I had to do to stop myself from buying cigarettes.

I watched them over and over again. Yep I did. And it did the trick. It killed any cigarette cravings I had. I didn't find it depressing at all. It was the cold face of reality. I gave up cigarettes cold turkey slightly over 2 years ago and Ive never had a puff since. And I don't think about them.

I plan on doing a similar thing about drinking. Reading the horror stories on here, watched a few sad youtube clips etc. I NEED to hear the bad stuff, it helps me immensely.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Yay KNB!!! Congrats on 30 days! And thanks for the detailed account of your weekend. Sounds like me when I'm on a binge. Woke up feeling good. Hope to hear from psychologist today. Planning on aa meeting tomorrow.. Hope everyone has a fabulous hump day. I love being SOBER and my Feb peeps day 4.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Ha you toyboy. I am 45 this year. Three kids is a handful but it must be nice to have all those children. My son sometimes get lonely but its too late for me to have anymore kids.
Hope you are feeling better and yes alcohol does hurt your immune system JL
Im 45 with an only child - 8 3/4 years old. Your son is 12 aye? He will be fine, I know heaps of only kids (adults now) and they have a massive friends network.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Hey who are you calling an old fart Coco?? I am 44 so we are probably around the same age and we are NOT old farts haha. Just middle aged
I know, I know. I was just saying that. Im 45.

I certainly felt 10 years older in the morning after a long night of drinking though! Least I never forget that!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

WOW, I go to bed, and 9 hours later you guys have posted about 4 pages, WOW

Its a sign we are all doing well!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clownbaby View Post
I need to be in your group... I'm ready.

"A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier."~Tom Stoppard
Hi Clown

Welcome to the team.

Everybody is amazing in here. If you stick with us by reading and posting in here I promise it will help you.

Well done for realising you have a problem and deciding that you need to stop drinking.

You can do it. Many people have done it. If they can, then we can.

Are you on day 1 today, or will that be tomorrow?
Old 02-24-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

safeandsound - Remember that you didn't enjoy it and that it didn't bring that relief you desired next time your AV tries to trick you into drinking! Dust yourself off and try again.

Clownbaby - Welcome to our class!

JL - I hope you feel better soon.

Sansa - Well done! You'll be saying 3 weeks sober before you know it.

Coco - Ha! I don't think you're an old fart. My best friend is 10 years older than you!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

10am now - Im on day 6!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 6 Coco, you're nearly at the end of your first week!!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Hi JL

Youre doing the right thing by staying home, you must look after yourself, its most important.

Oh yeah the "old fart" comment. Im am about your age and I don't really consider myself an old fart. I just said that. To a 20 year old Im probably an old fart though lol. I was just trying to put it in perspective. When I think about the 25 year difference between 20 and 45........its a loonnngggg time.

I sort of feel Ive wasted the past 8 years of my precious life drinking, and probably shortened my life by drinking (increased risk of cancer, diabetes, heart problems, scared liver etc). Im not being all negative and depressing. For me its most important to face reality.

I did that when I gave up smoking too. Everybody said "OMG WHY are you doing THAT, that's so gruesome and depressing". I used to watch youtube clips for hours (sometimes) each day of people dying of lung cancer from smoking to STOP my cravings. I watched and listened to their stories, and the stories of their family. Some left behind little children who will never remember them because they were too young. I also watched medical and surgical youtube clips where it showed you a lung being pulled out riddled with tumors. I did whatever I had to do to stop myself from buying cigarettes.

I watched them over and over again. Yep I did. And it did the trick. It killed any cigarette cravings I had. I didn't find it depressing at all. It was the cold face of reality. I gave up cigarettes cold turkey slightly over 2 years ago and Ive never had a puff since. And I don't think about them.

I plan on doing a similar thing about drinking. Reading the horror stories on here, watched a few sad youtube clips etc. I NEED to hear the bad stuff, it helps me immensely.
Oh my gosh that so works for me to Cococo. Nothing like a good dose of reality to keep me focused. Hence why I posted my last drunken weekend. A strong reminder of how bad I am
Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Yay KNB!!! Congrats on 30 days! And thanks for the detailed account of your weekend. Sounds like me when I'm on a binge. Woke up feeling good. Hope to hear from psychologist today. Planning on aa meeting tomorrow.. Hope everyone has a fabulous hump day. I love being SOBER and my Feb peeps day 4.
Glad to hear I am not the only one cutengay. That's what I love about support forums. You always think you are unique and no one else has the same problems as you..until you hear other people,s stories. It's comforting to know that you are not alone in this battle.

Well done :-)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
10am now - Im on day 6!
Well done Cococo. Reaching a week :-)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
safeandsound - Remember that you didn't enjoy it and that it didn't bring that relief you desired next time your AV tries to trick you into drinking! Dust yourself off and try again.

Clownbaby - Welcome to our class!

JL - I hope you feel better soon.

Sansa - Well done! You'll be saying 3 weeks sober before you know it.

Coco - Ha! I don't think you're an old fart. My best friend is 10 years older than you!
Intrigued why you call yourself old tomato when you are a young tomato:-)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Knb02

Congratulations on being sober 1 calendar month!

Thanks, but Ive got 2 days to go until its a week sober for me.

Re: Facing reality by reading, watching, listening to horror stories.....yeah it may not work for everybody, but it works for us at least. I say, do what you have/need to do. Do what works. Anything (besides drugs etc).

I wondered why Old T calls herself that too. To me she sounds like an old head on young shoulders, maybe that's what it is.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

As at 10.45am Thursday 25/2/16 my time......

Day 36
DramaStudent (16/2/16 – day 27)

Day 31
Knb02

Day 30
Tiredofme (5/2/16 – day 10)

Day 26
Mia83 (24/2/16 – day 25)

Day 25
Soberjim

Day 24
RustyBanjo (16/2/16 – day 15)