Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 02-24-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Day 22.
I'm doing great, mentally, emotionally, physically.
Things are crazy at work, in a good way. Very busy, but I'm glad I'm mentally and physically able to handle it. We had a secretary essentially self destruct. She went to the ER and never came back. She's still in ICU, so it's been very busy here.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Tae bo.... That made me laugh out loud. I always wanted that!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Just a quick check on my lunch break. Day 4 and I feel really good mentally today. I find that it's helpful to look at sobriety stuff while I'm at work to prepare me for the end of the day AV Stuff. I used to avoid it, thinking it didn't matter since I obviously can't drink at work. But that's when my mind starts with the discussion and it's good to just nip it in the bud.

Knb.. That was a great, honest post and I can relate to a weekend like that without my kids. In fact, my kids not being home is a Huge trigger for me. Thank goodness it doesn't happen often congrats on 30 days, that's amazing !
Old 02-24-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
The readout is actually a little funny to read now that I posted the specific times bc sometimes I am sitting still feeding baby, but yes up so so so much, just bc of nighttime feedings, binky replacement, re-tuck ins.
This sounds like my nights lately, Applekat. Last night my little one was up at 2:30 and 5:30. She WAS sleeping through the night so not sure what is going on. The broken sleep is hard because sometimes it takes awhile to fall back asleep. It's 100X better without a hungover though, right? Are you nursing?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Just a quick check on my lunch break. Day 4 and I feel really good mentally today. I find that it's helpful to look at sobriety stuff while I'm at work to prepare me for the end of the day AV Stuff. I used to avoid it, thinking it didn't matter since I obviously can't drink at work. But that's when my mind starts with the discussion and it's good to just nip it in the bud.

Knb.. That was a great, honest post and I can relate to a weekend like that without my kids. In fact, my kids not being home is a Huge trigger for me. Thank goodness it doesn't happen often congrats on 30 days, that's amazing !
Great job, FABL! You've got this. We can do this together
Old 02-24-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Morning all, checking in on my Day 10. I'm rooting for everyone. Together we can do it!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
This sounds like my nights lately, Applekat. Last night my little one was up at 2:30 and 5:30. She WAS sleeping through the night so not sure what is going on. The broken sleep is hard because sometimes it takes awhile to fall back asleep. It's 100X better without a hungover though, right? Are you nursing?
Ladybug I am, which is a huge huge reason why the quantity and frequency of my drinking has been so low since she's been born. It's too often too much work to think about pumping ahead or thawing frozen milk I've made, plus the unknown number of night wake-ups. It's been so mental, and I want to kick this so bad before I stop nursing bc who knows then! It would be too...easy....then.

Any night wake ups by any of my three precious kids are 100 times better drink-free. And really, memorable ya know? Someday they won't be doing that. And I am certain I will miss it!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hey guys! My daily reflection today is about being thankful so I just wanted to take this opportunity to saying how thankful I am for this class. I can come here whether I'm having a brilliant day or a terrible day and know that I'll have your support. It's great speaking to people who have a few years of sobriety under their belts but I would also like to speak to people who are also new to recovery. That's where you guys come in, we're all in this together and I'm so grateful I'm not alone. Thank you all for keeping this thread active, it's been a massive tool in my sobriety.

Also, as Coco said earlier, it is really worth getting blood work done as alcohol messes your body up pretty bad. Vitamin B12 deficiency is fairly common, the doctor can give you vitamin supplements that work wonders!

knb - Thank you for sharing, it was the same for me. I got so depressed over my drinking, it was ruining my life, I just couldn't do it anymore. I had to reach a whole new low in order to acknowledge my addiction and move forward. It was awful but I'm stronger for it.
Also, I am from the UK!

JL - How did you get on at the doctors? Alcohol abuse really messes with your body.

bluedog - Hope your counseling session went okay.

OOTT - I'm glad you're feeling good about work and staying strong.

FABL - You're right, getting stressed out at work could be a trigger. It's good that you're identifying this and taking steps to prevent it!

FF - Congrats on Day 10!!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Rrrrrgggh. I am ashamed to say I drank last night. I had a month of sobriety It was a combination of stress about my husband, feeling overwhelmed by the new program I'm in, anger and self-pity.

But really there was no reason for it at all. Except alcoholism. I didn't think of a single one of the strategies for dealing with triggers that I wrote pages on in my journal!! I just saw a beer, grabbed it, and opened it. All in a split second.

I didn't black out, thank God. But I didn't even enjoy it. I didn't feel relief or happiness, just more depression.

It's weird because at a meeting yesterday, I heard that you can't let your sobriety depend on the ups and downs of life. Then I did exactly that.

I've been writing about it and reading recovery stuff all day so far. I will not drink today. Who knows what will happen? What could I lose next time? I lucked out but am very aware that I risked everything. And I don't want to live that life anymore.

Congrats to knb. And thank you so much for your hard work, Coco, and for posting lots.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

I need to be in your group... I'm ready.

"A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier."~Tom Stoppard
Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Safeandsound - it sure takes courage to come right back here so quickly and honestly. Your count may start again but you don't lose that month of sobriety ya know? Never give up, friend!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Back again

I need to get myself back on track.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Doctor said flu-like virus is going around- also I have a middle ear infection. I've had cold for 2 weeks so sinus drainage may have caused it. Feel terrible, but not as bad as last night. Trying to rest but have the rampant unnatural worrying going on. I think that's directly detox related. Taken first dose of an antibiotic I've not ever taken. It's not a problem, just want to get better. No desire or thought of drinking.
Safe and sound, I'm sorry you slipped.
Very good of you to get right back here. That's not so easy to do.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Doctor said flu-like virus is going around- also I have a middle ear infection. I've had cold for 2 weeks so sinus drainage may have caused it. Feel terrible, but not as bad as last night. Trying to rest but have the rampant unnatural worrying going on. I think that's directly detox related. Taken first dose of an antibiotic I've not ever taken. It's not a problem, just want to get better. No desire or thought of drinking.
Yes be kind to yourself to get healthy again! Let the antibiotics do their work! Feel better!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clownbaby View Post
I need to get myself back on track.
Welcome Clownbaby glad you joined us lots of great support and amazing people here.

You can do it one day at a time.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amazingjoy View Post
knb02 - Congratulations on reaching day 30! You're posts were literally making me laugh this morning...thanks for your wonderful sense of humor!

JL2014 - sorry you have the flu!

Your post reminded me of my alcoholic thinking...I actually truly convinced myself that I was better off drinking because whenever I stopped, I would get sick. I convinced myself that the drink must act as some sort of antibacterial or antiviral agent helping me NOT to get sick. So I thought I better keep drinking so I don't get sick! Brilliant right? (not)

I was "alone" last night (with my daughter) and as I expected, the moment my husband left the house...out of habit, the AV started to creep up...slowly and stealthily...telling me...just one beer can't hurt...just one beer with dinner is fine.

Although I felt "tired" and just wanted to sit on the couch...I ended up pulling out the old, original Tae Bo workout that I used to do back in the late 90's / early 2000's and literally kicked my AV's butt (and punched it too).

I think I'm going to have to do more Tae Bo and picture my AV as my opponent! :-)
Good for you! I was really into Taebo about five years ago. I loved his workouts. I now get all my workouts from youtube. Glad I made you laugh :-)
Old 02-24-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post

Thank you. I often wonder where I would be if I didn't have my son. He has been my rock when I have hit rock bottom. I fall into a black hole but always pull myself out because my son needs me
Old 02-24-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Rrrrrgggh. I am ashamed to say I drank last night. I had a month of sobriety It was a combination of stress about my husband, feeling overwhelmed by the new program I'm in, anger and self-pity.

But really there was no reason for it at all. Except alcoholism. I didn't think of a single one of the strategies for dealing with triggers that I wrote pages on in my journal!! I just saw a beer, grabbed it, and opened it. All in a split second.

I didn't black out, thank God. But I didn't even enjoy it. I didn't feel relief or happiness, just more depression.

It's weird because at a meeting yesterday, I heard that you can't let your sobriety depend on the ups and downs of life. Then I did exactly that.

I've been writing about it and reading recovery stuff all day so far. I will not drink today. Who knows what will happen? What could I lose next time? I lucked out but am very aware that I risked everything. And I don't want to live that life anymore.

Congrats to knb. And thank you so much for your hard work, Coco, and for posting lots.
Good you are posting safeandsound. Just make this a lapse and not a full blown relapse. Throw the drink away and start again. You have had a fantastic month behind you. You can do it again
Old 02-24-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clownbaby View Post
I need to be in your group... I'm ready.

"A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier."~Tom Stoppard
Welcome clowns a y. That's an interesting avatar
Old 02-24-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Well done JL. I still drank when I was ill. How bad is that