Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
californiapoppy

Originally Posted by mistycshore View Post
I did a bit of research on the whole postmodernist thing . . . that was probably a mistake.

Two of my heroes (among others) ripped "PoMo" a new one, the brilliant linguist Chomsky and none other than my man Richard Dawkins. The former basically said that the most worshiped figures in postmodernism were full of crap; the latter called them charlatans and said that the movement, "has had a deplorable influence on the quality of modern thought."

Does anybody else out there feel that you suffer from an incurable naivete? Ever shocked to realize that you've been cowed into silence by idiots and as*holes? I know I should leave this alone, and not do my final presentations and papers on the disastrous state of Lit Crit, and . . . it wouldn't do any good anyway. If Chomsky and Dawkins couldn't make headway, I haven't a chance and would just be blowing off steam.

Gosh, after 49 years of life, I really want to grow up and stop *trusting* that people in authority know something that I don't.

Okay: Still sober and feeling good most of the time (despite some sleep deprivation). So far, I like my silly job and don't even mind wearing the cheap, foam-green polyester shirt with the tacky gold name tag. I feel connected to the world in a way that was lacking when I was out of work, and I feel useful.

Hugs all around.
I've always thought that many of my professors were pompous, however I always loved to consider the "other side". But I was often left without a REAL opinion on the subjects, it sure doesn't matter anymore.... Glad things are going well for you other than that.