Notices

Belong? Sober Weekender Thread July 9 until...

Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good Saturday morning y'all!

Sao...I love your pics...especially the water ones.

I've always had a small girl crush on Serena. What an athlete!

BigS...I hope the birthday party goes smoothly and your grandmother enjoys it.

Gilmer...hope you find a dress today in record time. ❤️

I'm babysitting this afternoon, otherwise no real plans.
I used to be afraid not to have every minute of my day filled with activity. In retrospect, I was afraid to be left alone with my thoughts too long for various reasons....I didn't want to feel sad or bad, I couldn't stand the guilt and shame, I didn't like myself much and so on....now that I'm sober, I don't have that persistent generalized angst eating at me and I enjoy quiet days at home. My whole perspective has changed. I finally feel somewhat at peace with myself....which is what I was trying to achieve all those years by pouring booze down my throat.
When I decided to quit drinking I had no idea THIS is what awaited me! Woohoo!
Xoxo
Old 07-11-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
...holds the key

And I hope everyone at your house feels better very soon, Mecanix.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Good Saturday morning y'all!

Sao...I love your pics...especially the water ones.

I've always had a small girl crush on Serena. What an athlete!

BigS...I hope the birthday party goes smoothly and your grandmother enjoys it.

Gilmer...hope you find a dress today in record time. ❤️

I'm babysitting this afternoon, otherwise no real plans.
I used to be afraid not to have every minute of my day filled with activity. In retrospect, I was afraid to be left alone with my thoughts too long for various reasons....I didn't want to feel sad or bad, I couldn't stand the guilt and shame, I didn't like myself much and so on....now that I'm sober, I don't have that persistent generalized angst eating at me and I enjoy quiet days at home. My whole perspective has changed. I finally feel somewhat at peace with myself....which is what I was trying to achieve all those years by pouring booze down my throat.
When I decided to quit drinking I had no idea THIS is what awaited me! Woohoo!
Xoxo
+1

Serena has had a stellar career! I don't keep up with sports, how old is she now?

Love the pics. I'll likely never go to London, so it's cool to see.

((Glimmer))

^^What Brynn said about sobriety. I had forgotten that life is so calm and happy. Thank you, sobriety.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Olive, send me the kohlrabi! Love those. The greens are edible, too. Raw, steamed, nom nom nom.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Bim....she's 33.
How was the zoo? (Sorry if you already said and I missed it).
Old 07-11-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

I'm going to dedicate today's whale watching trip to LBrain
Old 07-11-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Bim....she's 33.
How was the zoo? (Sorry if you already said and I missed it).
I don't think I posted about it. I got there kinda late and a lot of the critters were sleeping.

There is a woman who brings watercolors to entertain the one female orangutan who is the love of everyones' lives. The orang is named Mulottey [sp] - and the artist lady sat there for over an hour painting for Mulottey. I got there just as she was finishing. Mulottey "knows" me and lots of other regular zoo visitors, and will come over to us to interact. It's pretty special. That was my zoo moment for Thursday. Mulottey coming to the glass and gesturing to me - looking me in the eyes.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey sober team!!!! Good stuff. Not fully caught up yet but I will.

Heading to take a nap. I have 12 miles done and ready to recharge for later.

Love sober Saturday afternoons!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

That's fascinating bimini. I have to say that the last time a little monkey looked me in the eyes at the zoo it then hissed at me.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

I've noticed monkeys don't like men very much. Men tend to use confident, shoulders-back, smiling body language, which is a dominance display in monkey-talk. Men tend to taunt them - it usually doesn't end well.

(Well, orangs are primates, but...) So, the way I initially became "friends" with Mulottey is by crouching down the way they do, and not looking her directly in the eye and letting her come to my back. Then I slowly turned my head just a little. It was a long process, it took probably 10 minutes. Then I spent a lot of time there, and showed her pictures and just talked to her. She will come to me now, though, whenever I show up. She's a very people-imprinted animal. Born in captivity - she's been in zoos for 43 years. She is a great orang ambassador. She will sit on a perch for half the day and look at people looking at her. Orang TV
Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I'm gonna google her! That' really seems all Jane Goodall. Or maybe the orangutan whisperer.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Woodland Park Zoo.

I have pics on my phone...but again, my ISP...
Old 07-11-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Orang TV
Best tv ever!
Last time I was there I watched for a long time. Mesmerizing.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

The Shanghai Daily Newspaper w/Typhoon News. Been there on Biz. Very energizing, and constantly changing.

- Shanghai Daily.com -

In News that doesn't blow Typhoon-style, I pulled off a fairly-painless purchase yesterday of Da Wife's new uber-hotschitte Ford 'Escape'. 'Titanium' Model. Seriously loaded. Pearlescent White w/Beige-y Leather Interior. Nav System. Total Voice Command System [Audio/Climate/Mapping]. Touch the Door Handle with the Key Fob on you, and it unlocks/locks. Nutso Feature levels. SO, we got a 100k Mile Extended Warranty at what I knew to be Dealer cost. This Baby has Twin Turbos which, along with all the High Tech Guano, will make for potentially pricey Repair Bills years from now. Sony Sound System w/Subwoofer, and an SD Card Reader for mega-Tune Storage. Video Input Jacks. This was a pretty rare Model - loaded but with light Interior Leather - so I jumped on it. It had transferred in from another CO Dealer. Most Interiors are Black. Sux out West in rippin' Sun.

Thanks, Sao, for the end-of-month Car Sales tip given prior. Great Canal Pic, too. I'd read of that Salesman 'motivator', but we're outta here in a Week. I wanted to do a Big City Deal. The *Farmer Demographic* Dealers out West don't deal. So far as I can tell, they take your Calls on Black Rotary Phones, too.-) Very Fred Flintstone-like...

Started the Middle Eastern-style Haggling at $600- under Dealer Invoice - which I asked to see - and also eliminated their trick of charging twice on Delivery Charges. Quite painless, really. Surprisingly so. I was on File from last Summer for a Truck inquiry [see it below], and called ahead yesterday to pre-qualify myself as an Internet Buyer. This skips a huge amount of BS on the Lot when they categorize you as some walk-in Gomer who believes MRSP Sticker Price. Hey, looky at the Calendar! I was born yesterday! We bought some $5k under that MSRP Price on a pretty thin Margin. This call ahead also let them know I bought my Truck elsewhere, and would walk on any half-azzed Deal they tried to foist on us. People vote with their Feet.

Sold her Passat for Cash late yesterday to our Passat-lovin' House Realtor. He used to do Car Auctions. Well connected. He'll Wholesale it after Detailing, and make himself some Profit. No muss. No fuss.

Happy Wife = Happy Life.

The Geezer Gears in my Brain were churnin' hard yesterday while Dealing. I just can't imagine pulling this off while Hammered. Case-in-point: the Dealer informed me that my 10 Year span Driver's License expired ~2 months ago. Details...

My Wife has had a large Primate stare directly into her Eyes. Then, I roll over and go to sleep while Snoring.

- 'I'm Bad - I'm Nationwide' ~ ZZ Top -

- Ford 'Escape' Website -

Old 07-11-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend really hot in London
Old 07-11-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I had a terrible day. Even the weather is awful.

It started off well with a special Saturday breakfast.
I had arranged a driving lesson this afternoon and I was looking forward to that.

I arranged to meet my instructor in front of the local fast food restaurant. My dad gave me a lift and we were early so I decided to have a coffee. My dad went to buy a newspaper and came back. I don't know what happened. I have always been clumsy but I knocked a full paper cup of boiling coffee all over my knees and thighs. I jumped up howling in pain and begin pulling off my jeans while heading for the ladies. You don't know embarrassment until you are stripping in the middle of a fast food place. My dad followed me to the ladies and was taking care of my pants. One of the nice women who works there saw the while thing and kept coming in with ice packs and some kind of cooling gel. I was howling and sobbing with pain, shock and embarrassment. My dad said I was lucky that my jeans are good quality and made out of good thick material or I would have done myself some awful damage.
While this was going on, this woman came into the toilet. My dad told her very nicely that "we have had a bit of an accident. Would you mind just giving us two minutes?" From the big dramatic sighs and the turned up nose, you would swear I took a **** in the middle of the restaurant or something. Some people have absolutely no sympathy for others.

I was going to continue with my lesson but my instructor looked at my face and said it was clear that I got a shock and we should postpone for next week.

My sister is a doctor and she looked at my legs. She said it doesn't look bad, I was lucky I was so quick with the ice. I feel like rubbish. Why do these things always happen to me?
Yes I am feeling sorry for myself.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
I'm tempted to get into bed at 6 pm. At least I won't do damage to myself there.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hey tetra,sorry that happened. But, so glad you didn't get seriously burned.
There good and bad in everyone.
The lady that worked there showed compassion and care.
The woman at the door did not.
There's all kinds in this world.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Oh tetra how awful and painful!! I'm so sorry! bless your heart!
I'm glad the burns were taken care of so quickly. Tomorrow is a new day. No need beating yourself up for having an accident! We all have them...and embarrassing ones too. It's part of being human!

Love the Escape, Mesa! Very fancy!! Your wife looks like she just won the lottery! That should keep you out of the doghouse for a few days at least! Ha!
Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad your OK now Tetra, maybe you can reschedule your driving lesson to a weekday evening. I reckon your safe to stay out of bed a while longer

Glad your wife got her car Mesa - in Europe that model is called the KUGA (I guess they daren't call it that in the States)

Interesting point about snoring, I wonder if I snore now I have stopped drinking? Back when I was married I didn't snore unless I had been drinking, fortunately I wasn't an alcoholic back then because my then wife had a zero tolerance policy - she made me wear the nose strips and if that didn't work i wold be woken up with sharp fingernails digging in my "gentleman's area". It's not important now as I live on my own but you never know... I might set up a voice recorder.

Soberwolf is quite right, it has been hot but it's a beautiful evening now
Old 07-11-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Your Zoo trips sound fun Bimini - i'm always uncomfortable looking at caged primates but at good modern zoos they don't really have cages any more