Notices

Belong? Sober Weekender Thread July 9 until...

Old 07-12-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Boundaries

SoberP ~

Congratulations! You been cased! That Doorstep Encounter was 'phishing', and pure BS. That whole exercise of faking a 'Security Badge', or attempting to appear 'Official', is a bit much for someone simply shilling Home Security Systems. Mebbe. Mebbe not... Anyhoo, I'm a huge believer in 'rehearsing my lines'. Something I did often in advance to prep for tense, high stakes Biz Scenarios Overseas.

Case-in-point... Our House Buyer's Realtor - whom I 'affectionately' refer to as 'RealtorZilla' - has twice now barged into our House after the initial Open House Showing, and then writing a Contract. A 3rd 'Home Invasion' before Closing next Friday was at least discussed in advance. Home Invasion Day not yet scheduled precisely. We will decide which day this occurs. Our Realtor's suggestion? 7 AM next Friday; right before the 8:30 AM Closing. We're at a Motel next Thursday night anyway...

During the 2nd of these Home Invasions - in which this Boundary-impaired Realtor barged in during what was supposed to be a Video Scope of our Sewer Line - RealtorZilla was downstairs discussing Furnace replacement with 'her' HVAC Guy. I strongly suspect that $$ Kickbacks from him are playing out behind the scenes.

Our very nice Home Buyer leans over the Tri-Level Railing, and apologizes for RealtorZilla who 'is just making sure everything is done right'. Yah, right. They had heard we'd be Out West for a week, and she was phishing to enter our House again to have her D Bag of a Contractor give her more inflated Estimates on 'needed' Work. Her Boundary-impaired Realtor had convinced our very meek Buyer that this is all OK, and is how it's done. I had just fn had it by then. By now, Helen Keller could see the Dynamics playing out here.

W/o blinking, I told our Buyer that 'it would not be wise for Strangers to enter our House while we're gone because loaded Weapons are kept in the House'. Kinda true. But not really. I unload and store my trusty .357 elsewhere when Strangers or Kids [rare] are around. Meanwhile, my 'Take No Prisoners' Wife told our Buyer at our Doorstep that 'her Contractor was an Idiot' as RealtorZilla glared at her. And, this is why Realtors don't want Seller meeting Buyer. Further, they had wanted us to leave on short or no notice for these Home Invasions. We refused. RealtorZilla tried to force her way into the Bank Appraiser's Look-See at our House last Thursday. Our Realtor lied about the Appraisal date to ensure this didn't happen. To use my Proprietary Line: 'Fornicate Thyself, and the Equine on which you ingressed'.

Our Buyer looked at me incredulously, and just froze. As we used to say in the High Tech Biz World, I had achieved 'The Desired End Result'. I'd shut down further, unscheduled Home Invasion Scenarios. There's one more on tap this week, to ensure that the House 'is in the same condition as when they wrote the Contract'. One final lil kick in the Crotch re: our Character. Yah, whatever...

While my very P.O.ed dialog happened to be spontaneous. be prepared next time to deliver at your Doorstep a similar, stern 'shot across the Bow' to any Burglar obviously casing your Joint. Rehearse your lines. Deliver them with conviction. It works.

'ADT', and other Security Business Signs, only warn Burglars that they must cut the Phone Line first before Theft to disable the Security System dialing out. Burglars in Jail consistently say their worst fear is Dogs. Tip-off noise they can't afford, and Territorial Behavior.

Boundaries. Ya can live with 'em. Ya can't live without 'em.

And now, the Universal Sound when weirdness is pending: The Theremin!
- Clara Rockmore On Theremin -
Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Stella the night terrors go away. I had some pretty disturbing ones.

Going to walk on the Golden Gate today.

Yesterday I decided to live on the edge and have 3 cherry and sodas waters. Glad I didn't do an thing stupid. Sorry I have to joke about it.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Bernie - snoring is a big deal for the recipient(s). It's not healthy for the snorer either so a sleep study sounds like a good idea (or you could employ the ex Mrs Saoutchiks method which IS very effective as I was afraid to fall asleep)

I'm working on the Lancia but have my old analogue tv set on the bench for the tennis. I have an indoor aerial gaffer taped to the roof plus a signal booster and a "digibox " converter all in a line - very Heath Robinson
Old 07-12-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

GS ~

In the Presidio, on the SF side of the Golden Gate. See the phenom Bridge view from there as the Website Pix change. Opened by Walt's Daughter...

Highly recommended! Open today from 10 AM to 6 PM.

- Walt Disney Museum Website -

- Fantasia Clip ~ 1940 -
Old 07-12-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
...holds the key

GS....don't get too wild today! Glad you're enjoying your trip.

We had a rash of home invasions here last year where the guy would knock on the door and when it was answered he muscled his way in at gunpoint. Very scary. I dont answer the door to anyone I don't know. Ever.

Eclectic music selections this morning. Note to self.....have coffee BEFORE reading this thread next Sunday am.

Boyfriend got home before 2am thank god. He violated his probation (DWI) a few months ago by getting himself arrested for assaulting an officer. His original probation plus 2 years has been reinstated now he's awaiting a court hearing for the assault charge. It's a huge mess and he continues to drink and use like it's all just a game. He thinks he's untouchable and that the charges will be dropped (unfortunately there are witnesses). I know there's nothing I can do to help him, but I need to stop bailing him out of everything. This is what keeps me awake at night.

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!
Xoxo
Old 07-12-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone!
All this talk about burglary. ..I do know that when those door to door people come I don't open the door but I let them know I am home and to go away. Thats what the police said to do in case they are robbers checking to see if anyone is home. I also let my dogs bark their heads off. I have a "No Soliciting " sign by my entrance. I got it at the police station. It says that solicitors will be reported to the police immediately. I am contemplating a surveillance system. But I also don't want to live in fear....I feel safe in my home, thank goodness.
Well, today is going to be a day of rest and relaxation. My only plan is some errands, vacuum, and make pizza later. I love sundays. I will never take for granted feeling good on a Sunday morning, not hungover. I pray that those days are gone forever.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Just looked up who Heath Robinson was. Interesting!

HAf....I love Sunday mornings now!

Mesa...you know so much about so many parts of the world. Next trip I take I'm consulting you before making my itinerary!

Y'all I'm sitting out on the patio watching all the birds and butterflies. Wish I had a good camera! So many neat varieties including two eastern bluebirds, ladder back woodpecker and the big kind of woodpecker with a red head, chickadees, sparrows, cardinals and hummers. Need to find my granny's bird book....
Old 07-12-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey Bernie... Just type in DISARM SMART and you will get the detials. And your day yesterday sounds like heaven.

So BiM... any more searching of the gay man of your dreams in your dreams?

SoberP... I agree you were cased. Living in Maine my homes were always in the sticks. Including a wonderful log home that sat square in the middle of six acres. There was never going to be enough to protect the house. People had all the time and the luxury of no one around to foil any strategy I could put in place to protect it. Thank goodness no one ever did try. My home was burglarized as a child. I hated that feeling it left me with. A real imprint.

Love white peaches and they were spectacular enough for me to cut up a few for tomorrow's breakfast!

Second SMART meeting tomorrow! I want to shar my exercise I worked on today as per my thread. They also have a beginner men's meditation right after that so I will stick around and try to meet new people. This place I started going to is really nice. Home like feel and the people are welcoming. Looking forward to continued involvement.

Yeah!!!!!! Work tomorrow!!!!!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Brynn ~

Absotively, posilutely look me up pre-Travel!

I love helping Folks Travel. To me, the Gig is to strip away much of the 'low level' BS so that we can have more fun w/o Stress.

One fav Int'l trick is to fly to a 'Gateway City'. Frankfurt. Warsaw. Rome. Prior to leaving, get - for 50% off - a 'Eurail Pass' for the Euro Trains. It covers about any Train. Lake Geneve Boats. You name it. Polish LOT Airlines flies outta Chicago to Warsaw, for one. Who woulda thunk, eh?

Same with Domestic Travel. Get there on the relative cheap, and let the Sober Fun begin!

Then, just go!

- P&O Ferries Website -

- Eurail Pass Website -
Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

How big of a woodpecker, Brynn? 10-12 inches? If so, might be a Pileated woodpecker. Lucky you. They are not too common.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I sent him to you - did he get lost in the woowoo? Well, it's quite a long way to the opposite corner of the U.S.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Oh, are we talking about birds? *jump*jump

Yesterday I saw what is an ongoing feud at the top of the food chain of raptors. In the weeks to come it will become even more dramatic. The Osprey family and the Bald Eagle family at my beach have an uncomfortable relationship. I suspect there is far more to it than I've been able to view in my few hours a week at the beach.

In the past, I've witnessed spectacular aerial combat/thievery. The eagles will wait until the Osprey has worked hard to catch a fish, then go after it in flight. The Osprey is more agile and maneuverable in flight and expends less energy so it's about a 50/50 chance of the eagles getting the fish. I've seen two eagles gang up on the Osprey though. That nearly always ends in the Osprey releasing its prey in flight, and the eagles nabbing it. I talked about it with the zookeepers and it's called clepto-parasitism.

Anyway, so yesterday I saw the Osprey chasing a juvenile eagle and dive-bombing it and "yelling" at it. I know the Osprey has young, I've seen the frenetic hunting the last few days...so I imagine the eagles take some chicks and the Osprey doesn't want the eagle around - but whatcha gonna do? The eagle was flying in the direction of the Osprey nest - so - I couldn't see what happened.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
How big of a woodpecker, Brynn? 10-12 inches? ....... Lucky you. They are not too common.
Trach.... Should you take this or should I?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

I just want to apologize to MLD if my interpretation of your post was offensive. That cracked me up something fierce. Thank you for that!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Hi all, happy Sunday!

This thread is great and put me in high spirits!

I'm on day 42 and I'm loving it.

I'm off to work, I'm doing a lot of recipe development today for a new menu, I love menu projects!

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Trach.... Should you take this or should I?
Y'all leave her alone! (luckily she isn't easily offended, ken!)

It wasn't a Pileated, mld. I'm not sure what it was...maybe a red-bellied? But it was pretty big.

Cool pics and story, Bimini!

Enjoy your meeting weasel.

And Mesa....thanks for the tips. We are heading to Colorado /New Mexico in a few weeks.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Sorry, saou. Gotta erase that earbug.

Trach, I have loved that piece for decades! (since the soundtrack to "2001", one of my first record albums as a teenager)
Old 07-12-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Exactly the same here Sol. It's on the jukebox in my head.

If it wasn't a pileated, but had a full red head, it was a red-headed. Red-bellied just have a little red cap.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I sent him to you - did he get lost in the woowoo? Well, it's quite a long way to the opposite corner of the U.S.
I swear I had nothing to do with it.