Notices

Belong? Sober Weekender Thread July 9 until...

Old 07-10-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Brynn - I'm the mealy mouthed pushover type. That has allowed many many people to manipulate and abuse me. I'm working on self esteem, so that I can decide what's best for ME, and have healthy boundaries. I still have a hard time asserting myself, so I've started to write out what I wish to say, and trying to stick to it. It really helps. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks y'all. I'm just so used to being the peacemaker that to stir the pot (in a planned-out way) is scary to me. I did write out what I want to say....thanks mld.
I know once I do this and see that the world doesn't stop spinning I'll be ok and it will give me confidence for the next time. Y'all are the best!
Xoxo
Old 07-10-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
saoutchik

My ankle is fine Ruby, thank you for asking, I was being a big girls blouse about it.

It's good when women and girls stand up for themselves, I don't like to see them walked on

Off to play crazy golf again (it's getting to be a regular Friday night thing) Unlike the real game I do a bit better at CG
Old 07-10-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Is crazy golf the same as miniature golf? Last time I played my seven year old niece thoroughly kicked my butt! But in my defense I had to have the orange ball because she wanted the red one and everyone knows the orange ball is the unlucky one!

Today is supposed to be a study day but I'm having trouble focusing. The GRE is in less than a week. Blah! I'll be so glad when it's over with!
Old 07-10-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I'm in. Haven't read the thread yet.. So hope all are well.

I'm making huge changes in my life.. Starting by going part time so I can enjoy life a bit more. Yeah it will be tough but at least you know you are living when you have something to strive for.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Well this is new.

I had the day off today so I went into town for coffee and to run some errands. My parents also had business in town so we had lunch together and then we headed out the country to their place. On the way we stopped for groceries and met my aunt by chance. (She is married to my mother's brother). We hadn't seen her for a while and she said she was sorry to hear that my sister and her husband have broken up. I had moved away a bit to look at something but my mother told her it's all very hard with the court case coming up and everything but having me home for the weekend helps a bit as I liven up the house. My aunt said "ah yeah, she's a lovely girl". My mum said "yeah, we're very lucky to have her!"

I was very surprised. I'm sitting here with herbal tea and reflecting back on the bad old days when we would be screaming at each other and my mother said "you are only an alcoholic who doesn't deserve an opinion".

How times have changed.

I've been told I've changed.

It's very hard to be a good person when you hate yourself as much as I did.

But as my therapist pointed out, "you are not an alcoholic. You are a recovering alcoholic".
Old 07-10-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

I am doing very well, you all. I have taken care of most things.

I dread tomorrow: I have to find a black summer dress that fits. I'm not a regular size anymore--I've put on a few pounds in odd places! Nothing I hate worse than shopping!
Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

That's wonderful, Tetra!
Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hugs Gilmer - i'm sure you will find one
Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Happy Sober Friday, Weekenders!!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Runner up at Crazy Golf - lost my title (I could been a contenda! ). I think it's the same as miniature golf Brynn - yellow ball for me

Good luck Trees

Way to go Tetra

10:45pm on a Friday and i'm drinking tea. That's kind of good and kind of sad, but no one else's fault than mine and I would much rather this than be ruining myself with drink
Old 07-10-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I met the wife of an ex-colleague of my dad's today. My parents used to know them quite well. When I was unemployed and drinking I used to avoid and hide from people like this. But today I smiled and said "hello" and we had a brief chat.
It feels good not to be ashamed any more.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

P.S. Congratulations Big S and happy birthday to your Grandma

My Grandmother was 90 last May and we had a big party. We thought that was something special as she is still in good shape. She can walk around by herself (though not very long distances) and her mind is still as sharp as a razor. But 100 is amazing!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Well the Monterey Bay aquarium is the best aquarium ever. Having a club soda with cherry and lime.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Little bit sad right now. My town has an annual festival and I can't go. The parade starts in a few minutes.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Well my sober friend has just nabbed my son to go fishing, after me and son spent all afternoon with some friends at the pool - hoping he will be tired tonight!

Crazy golf and miniature golf are the same thing, also called putt putt in the USA I hear. Having lived in the USA nearly a decade I am now bilingual in American and English! Everyone says I speak American with an English accent.

I have been pottering around cleaning up while son is fishing - he was very proud that he was able to set up his new rod all on his own after fishing camp!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Getting - I was lucky enough to live in Monterey for a year when I was learning Chinese in the Army. I could see the aquarium from my house. It's wonderful.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Back from my first SMART meeting!!! I loved it. I want to go every friday. Good time of day and very nice people. I prefer not to delve into programs here but it has a positive you can choose otherwise mentality. Very AVRT.

Anyways... home and heading to lay in bed early. Want to shoot for a big walking day tomorrow. Hope to break some personal records. Weather will be cooperating with me!!

ICE CREAM time!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
saoutchik

We have the Shoreditch festival soon MLD but there is a lot of drinking so I won't be attending much so maybe there is an upside

Someone is doing a really moronic "chant" in the courtyard area of my flats. Had I still been drinking I would have gone down there for a confrontation by now. As it is he is going to attract the attention of someone sooner rather than later. I will have to close the balconey doors to get some sleep
Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
10:45pm on a Friday and i'm drinking tea. That's kind of good and kind of sad, but no one else's fault than mine and I would much rather this than be ruining myself with drink
Sad is drinking alone at that time. You are doing great Sir and happy you are here. Nothing sad about that!!!