Notices

Belong? Sober Weekender Thread July 9 until...

Old 07-10-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

You never know, BigS. My dad was very much out of it 80% of the time before he died and could be unpleasant--but he went on an outing the day before he died that got him away from the dreary four walls and his wits came back.

When he came back, I talked to him and he was beaming with joy!

That night he died.

As I say, you just never know!
Old 07-10-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone,

One good thing about going to bed early is waking up early. On my run I got as far as the point where the canal meets the River Thames which is my farthest distance (OK so that's about 6 miles round trip, a long way for me)

Gilmer, BigSomB - it is tough when close relatives, especially parents lose their full senses, it's like they have gone and left a part of themselves behind. One good thing is that they are not usually the ones suffering, it is their loved ones.

You probably don't want to see any more pictures of the canal but I post this one anyway as I like the early morning long reflections
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150711_064615.jpg (40.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-10-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on your anniversaries Angie247, Skywalker and Casey, I know the second to third month was tough going for me as I still had no days without cravings at that point. When I finally managed a day without them it kind of makes seeing them off easier when they come back

Scrambled eggs coffee and OJ + listening to the World Service. Super Typhoon to hit China apparently, the worst since 1949
Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Morning all,

I had a quiet night in last night, which suits me. Watched a few Episodes of Daredevil. It's actually very good.

I'm keeping an eye on that typhoon Sao. My brother lives in Shanghai. He was due to fly home tonight, but looks as if his flight has been cancelled.

I hope you are ok Gilmer. Keep checking in here: we are all here for you.

B
Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I will comment a bit later on such thoughtful posts this week especially.

I am heading out for a sunrise walk to the water. 6 miles in and relax a bit and 6 miles out back home.

You will all be on my mind this morning. BigS, Gilmer, all the milestones met in days, months and years!!

See you all in a few!

K
Old 07-11-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You sure are an early riser Weasel. It does feel good though to get up when everything is calm

I'm trying to get my ass into gear as I have a few chores to do including a new toilet seat (glamorous huh?)

There is an urban food festival in the High Street from midday. I will be there on the dot

Hopefully that Typhoon will pass far enough south of Shanghai to not trouble your brother Behan (or the other 15 million residents)
Old 07-11-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey All ,
I love that we are able to be bigger and more compassionate people with sobriety . BigS what a good son , what a good grandson , Glimer what a great Daughter .
Sobriety dosnt stop pain but it enables us to get through one step at a time . when drinking i never did make a step .

Mex-m8 has got this bug too and has been getting up at 4:30 to get to work for training at 5:30 not getting home till 5pm , it's a big stretch for him as he's not been challenged mentally at work like this for many years .. also with a cold and chest thing …
he's sleeping still and it's nearly 11 which is odd for him as he likes to make the best of each day , must really need it … I'll do no vacuuming or cleaning till he's up so i'm just making best use of this quiet time .
SSHHHhhhhh !

m
Old 07-11-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

You're a good partner, Mecanix!
Old 07-11-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Good morning gang. I think six miles is a perfect length for a run saoutchik.....at least for me. I like your pics.

A sunrise walk on the Maine coast.....ahhhh, must put that on my agenda. So many things to do now that my goal in life isn't maintaining my drunk circus!

Today's agenda is getting this bunch awake and to the airport. NYC, here we come...
Old 07-11-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Noon in Norway. About to get in my car and drive (sober - that never gets old!) and go celebrate my mom's 64th.

Got a sponsor last night, she's a coach, has a dominatrix-kind of vibe that I love. If anyone can whip me into shape, I think it's her. Hard to find a female sponsor here, so I'm very grateful.

Friday evening was spent reconciling with the BF after telling him some "truths" during last weekend's relapse. Phew... Hangover has lifted, love is in the air and all my parts still work.

So Saturday, here I come! Have a good one everybody. I love reading about what you're all up to.

Last edited by StellaPolaris; 07-11-2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Preventing auto-correct from once again getting me into trouble.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Saturday everyone!
Hey I'm in western Wisconsin, spitting distance from the Minnesota border and commuting distance from the twin cities. I only see News from Minnesota, so I feel like I live there. I used to, in fact. Mosquitoes not too bad this summer so far, and pretty decent weather, except for the 8.5 inches of rain we had the other day. The whole soccer stadium thing has me shaking my head. I hope taxpayer dollars are not involved in that fiasco.

And I think Black Sheep is the best Pizza.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Mark.

Didn't take me long to order a monster salad. By the time I post this I will have eaten it

Need to find somewhere outdoors to watch the tennis. There is a terrace nearby with tv screens - they serve alcohol but I can stay away from the bar part. 27C (80F) here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150711_120608.jpg (62.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-11-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. What a great thread.

Skywalker, congrats on 90 days (almost). That's huge.

BigS, enjoy the day. Taking your grandmother is just the thing. Hopefully it is a lovely day for her too.

Stella, happy birthday to your mom. Driving sober is always a feeling of accomplishment. Satisfying.

I haven't been back to Minnesota in 17 years. I lived there for 12. Sid was always there back then. Never had Punch pizza. I miss it sometimes. My favorite mystery bookstore. Should Google if it's still there.

Brynn, I'm sorry about the baby. Hugs.

I have to get my daughter up and to gymnastics class. Then tire repair.

Sao, keep posting canal pics. Side of London I never saw.

Behan, I'll keep good thoughts about your brother and the typhoon.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Ah, Once Upon a Crime mystery bookstore is still there! Awesome.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Happy Saturday everyone!
Hey I'm in western Wisconsin, spitting distance from the Minnesota border and commuting distance from the twin cities. I only see News from Minnesota, so I feel like I live there. I used to, in fact. Mosquitoes not too bad this summer so far, and pretty decent weather, except for the 8.5 inches of rain we had the other day. The whole soccer stadium thing has me shaking my head. I hope taxpayer dollars are not involved in that fiasco.

And I think Black Sheep is the best Pizza.
I don't visit these parts much. What a lively and support-filled place -- thanks, Weasel.

MLD, I'm from your neck of the woods originally and so what you said about being a Badger but living much like a Twin Citian rang familiar. Lots of Falcons in my family tree.

And you're right -- Black Sheep has gooooood pizza.

The potential stadium. Jeepers. It's like Hizzoner said "what could possibly make the worst intersection 10 times more dreadful? I know! A stadium! We'll find the money!" (My money.)

All the best to the weekenders. May your weekend be one that affirms life is good in sobriety.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Best pizza in New York? Any suggestions welcome. Thin or thick crust...which is traditional?
Old 07-11-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Go to Jersey and get Pete and Eldas it rocks the crust is as thin as a cracker.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I'm a thin crust guy, so that sounds great to me!

BTW, we've never flown JetBlue before and this free in-flight wifi is great, can keep up with y'all all the way.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hope you and your partner feel better soon Mecx

Masterclass from Serena - 6 times Wimbledon singles champion
Old 07-11-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Morning sober Enders!
It is a lovely shade of gray outside and a delightful 70 degrees. I took a short run with the dog and now I am home having coffee. I plan on doing a little cooking and baking today and maybe get started on a painting.
I pulled another chard from the garden, on odd shaped zucchini and a kohlrabi. I will have to figure out what to do with that.
Oh, and I saw an estate sale sign while on my walk....that definitely needs to be checked out.
I hope everyone is feeling fine this morning!