Notices

November 2009 Group

Old 11-25-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Eureka, I'm sorry you are so down. You are right, it IS hard. Don't you think part of the "point" is being able to wake up every day remembering what you did the day before? Feeling alert with no hangover and your body feeling like c**p?

Part of the scary thing for me is what continuing to drink like I was doing was the damage to my health. I don't recall what your DOC is, but it probably has serious health consequences as well.

No matter how you decide to live your life, I wish you well. If you feel like it, just check in once in a while & let us know how you are doing.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Hello. I'm getting in late in the month, but I want to be a November person too. My original sobriety date was Feb. 20, 2003, which I kept up until Feb. of 09. Then I gradually fell off the wagon again until Nov 09, when I really blew it during a business trip. SO, my new date is Nov. 18, 2009. I'm glad to be here.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome keltie
D
Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome keltie
D
Old 11-26-2009, 01:10 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to November Keltie

Hi y'all... still sober. Not feeling good about dealing with these holidays and being sober. Not that the sober is the problem here, it's the seeing everything clearer. Never knew how sad it feels to be so far from home when everywhere is holiday holiday holiday... and this is my fifth I do believe. Ironic--haven't spelled it out before. The fifth without a fifth.

Anyways, I'm much more depressed about this than I thought I might be so... I'll see y'all on Monday.

Take care,
TB.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Eureka...I hope you stick around. Even if you don't post and you're still drinking, come and read. The only reason I even got to the point where I accepted this drinking as a problem, is because I started reading here and I saw myself in so many others. If I hadn't found this forum, I'd still be pluggin along, hungover every other day. I really believe that.

Welcome keltie! Glad you're here..I'm sure we'll all benefit from your experience and support.

TB...I'm sorry you're finding the holidays tough right now. I wish I could share my table with you and make you eat too much pie. Hang in there, kiddo.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Welcome Keltie-stick around And to everyone else Happy Thanksiving!
TB-sorry you are having a hard time....I would also share my table with you if I could-and I hope you are feeling better come Monday.
Off to my crazy sisters house soon and her drunken in-laws....good times!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Good morning to everyone and hope today turns out to be a good one. Keltie, welcome. Looking forward to getting to know you.

TBubba, I hope that we hear from you before Monday. I'm hoping you don't "check out" till then. It really won't be worth it, right? Maybe see if there is a volunteer org that can use your help.

I read something in the paper a couple of days ago about a guy who died. He apparently was a very charitable person. One thing he did that earned him the name "sandwich guy" (or something like that) was giving a sandwich to a homeless person on his way to work most days. He used to pass this guy panhandling on his way to work. He didn't like the thought of giving him money so he started giving him a sandwich instead. I thought to myself, he is really something. That wasn't the only thing he did. Lots of other charitable things that nobody really knew about cuz he didn't talk about it. He just went about his life, helping others, without waiting for someone to thank him or give him recognition. Someone to emulate, I thought to myself.

To those watching football, I hope your team wins. As for me, I'll be listening/half watching Fred Astaire movies on TCM while I cook!! (I love old movies!!)
Old 11-26-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Eureka,
I agree with Dee. Success in this has a lot to do with desire. Honestly, I identified that I had a problem about 5 years ago. One night while wacked out of my head on Jimmy Beam I started searching for AA meetings in my neighborhood. I woke up the next morning hung over… and as soon as I fought off the hangover I thought, “Hey, see, I can handle this…” and that’s what I thought for the last 5 years. The truth is… I can’t handle it... I just thought the lifestyle change was too difficult to make.
Eureka, you’re here for a reason. You may be where I was 5 years ago… just know that there is a very diverse group of people here who are going through the same thing. We all have different stories and reason that brought us here… but we’re all here leaning on each other. And we’ll all be here when you need us.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Okay y'all, sorry. I was in a mood. Sober is sure fun.

No, I don't think it would be a good idea to leave till Monday... I'd be gone... gone gone gone.

Tytan, that's one of my biggest problems right there. That and the Jim Bean, come to think of it. But one of my main problems is as soon as I put down the bottle and sober up some, I forget what it was like. And I have written it down, and of course I can remember it... I just don't. It's surreal, like another life.

Two Sundays ago I was ready to quit school. By Tuesday I was cleaned up and smiled up, and nobody believed I had a problem--part of the reason I felt the need to quit school. I'm strong enough, they tell me, I can get through this. Don't know if I can, but I did manage to establish that there is no outside help for me. Rehab won't take me, and it's getting to cold to take that walk to the AA meeting... come the rains, that will be nigh impossible.

I was hoping to get a sponsor before then, maybe she could drive me, but that's proving nigh impossible too. I have a long list and getting longer of names I collect at the meetings. I call them all each night, hoping for an answer. So far, nothing... This weekend I suppose I'll be trying again. I just can't help it. I can't let myself down, I'm the only one I got.

This holiday, I've been surprisingly down. Don't know where it's coming from, but I'm keeping it at bay as much as possible, and the rest of the time someone in chat usually slaps me upside the head, which is helpful. Been a long time since anyone told me anything.

Haven't really felt like drinking this time, which is good. Don't know how long this will last, but I'm not gonna argue with it. I get too fragile too often... Gonna enjoy the good times while they last.

And yes, this is what it's come to. The good times are merely the absence of pain... most pain. I'm ignoring a whole bunch right now, 'cause I can't do anything about it anymore. Like money and family. Nothing I can do, just gotta get numb by myself I suppose.

Take care y'all,
TB
Old 11-26-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Oh this was one rough day with my sobriety.....I went to my sisters for thanksgiving and they all drink and the weirdest thing but I used the bathroom after an in law had and I could smell the alcohol that must have been coming off his body-funny it didn't bother me on the table lol....and almost cried I wanted a drink so bad-it just smelt like wine in there so I sat down and just breathed for a moment and thought I had got it together.
So anyway I am drivin home when I realise I am almost out of smokes (I can't quit them yet-that's too much). I'm driving around figuring I will find a gas station open but being Thanksgiving they are all closed....so what is the only place open? Yes a flipping liquor store! I pulled into it after debating for a minute...ran in and asked for smokes and the guy knows me so he keeps asking me if I am sure I don't need anything else...I told him no, no, paid as fast as I could and drove straight home....I couldn't even look around in there-kept my eyes straight ahead and away from the bottles. I had to push the thought to the back of my head about drinking. I'm home and can breath now but my stupid addiction to smokes threw me straight in the fire. At least I'm not burned lol! Sorry just had to get that out! Hope everyone enjoyed their thanksgiving! TB glad you are sticking around.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Akazia congratulations! That was one rough day. I'm impressed.

TB.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Akazia! Brilliant. well done on avoidance. Mercifully I wasn't around any of my immediate family who are wine freaks (as I am/was?), and I can ignore the beer in the house. I can totally relate to keeping your eyes averted from the wine/beer/booze aisles! I've not venured into a liquor store, but the grocery stores aisles make me antsy.
Congrats to you for pulling off sobriety yesterday!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Sounds like most of you guys did great! After cooking all day I could barely eat when the time came.........tons of leftovers though.

Next stop....Christmas?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Christmas really....wow well that does give me time until the next family gathering I have no leftovers...as I wasn't hosting---ahh what a bummer! Enjoy them for me! I'm off to meet with a real estate agent to show me some newish mobile homes so hopefully one will be the right place for us-I have till May to be vacated from my property as I had to sell it to the current park owners, but they have already started tearing things down around here so I am ready to be out-my lease is month to month as of now so I can up and go with little notice. Be nice to finally have a little more room and a real kitchen. I'm a step up from the couch hopping I did in the worst of my addicition, and of course a jail cell! After my daughter and leaving my ex it was a crappy studio apartment in a place nicknamed "felony flats"-yea great place for an addict LOL...and the last year and a half it has been my crappy trailer-and now...a decent sized new mobile home...we' re finally moving up people! Feeling like I am finally climbing out of the hole I so nicely dug myself years ago! Have a fab Friday everyone...day 13...almost 2 weeks yay!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Way to go Akazia......sounds like you are making some great progress. Keep up the good work! Let us know how you make out today with the Realtor.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Made it 17 days so far, yay. Cooked the only holiday/celebration dinner without drinking that I can remember. Usually I'm more sauced than the gravy by the time it's ready...

Good thoughts to y'all.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Congrats, Finster.

I'm on day 12. This is not pleasant for me. I did it though, somehow. Somehow made it through the night sober.

I don't have any real reason to be going through all the pain I am. I don't have any family offering me liquor or drinking in front of me. I don't have holiday stress at all. I don't have to worry about family or buying presents or any of that.

TB
Old 11-28-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Me too! Me too!

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty late on the November track too, but after a disastrous Thanksgiving (due to my drinking), I think I need to be here.

So I'm on day 2, which makes my sober date November 27, 2009. I am detoxing at home, so a lot of the info you all have provided has been very helpful.

Thanks for there.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, SG