Old 11-12-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keninomaha View Post
Ginger, are you on Day 1?
Nope...day 3 today.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
I believe in accountability, but I also believe trying is a wonderful human attribute. It's when we stop trying that we fail.

With that, please take me off your class list, I don't think this style is beneficial for me. I will find other areas of support on this site that will work out better for me. Best of luck with your class.
I will certainly respect your wishes and your point of view.

I do feel that there are those who get tired of trying and really want to get off of the try, fail, try, fail... merry go round. For once we want to succeed. And sometimes that takes a little little help from people who are going thru the same thing as you. That's all I'm trying to do. Create a group to help each other.

AfterForever
dojoro - Day 16 - Whoa baby!!!
eureka - Day 1 - Here we go!!
gingerblue
here
ipokemyself
keninomaha - Day 2
mini
mirage - Day 11 - Wow!!!
Pixie37
snowbunnie
sunshine2481
Thirtybubba
Threshold
tjp613
Waterfountain
Wildman74
worker
Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gingerblue View Post
Nope...day 3 today.
You wanna join our group of merry band of quitters?? We're lookin' for a few fun and supportive people!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

These monthly threads are supposed to be about support and encouragement - but everybody's journey is different. It's important we respect other peoples approaches.

Lets worry less about what everybody is doing or not doing and focus on our side of the street...that way each of us can focus on the real task at hand and everyone will be in a great position to offer help and support to someone else when it's needed.

D
Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Well folks… my quite date was 11/11, 1:00am and I am quickly coming to an end of day two, so I haven’t quiet started to feel the “burn” yet. This is my first time quitting… except for a 20 day period about 8 years ago (just to prove to myself it wasn’t a problem), I probably haven’t gone more than two or three days without a drink over the past 14 years. So, we shall see.

At this point, I am just trying to keep my family together. I’ve been an angry drunk, a happy drunk, a slutty drunk, a funny drunk… now… I’m just a drunk… and an over-sharer… so I don’t really plan on holding back, I assume the longer I hold back the longer getting to the root of my problems will be.

Anyway, I am here today because I made the pen-ultimate mistake. I’ve betrayed my family. While visiting my home town without my family for a week, it culminated in a night where I consumed two large portions of sake, about 8 beers (which came very large two pint glasses), and a glass of absinth “just for fun”. Where it landed me was in bed with an ex-girlfriend who I hadn’t seen in about 7 years.

Devastation.

My wife is seven months pregnant with our second child… our first is 4 years.
I’ve never cheated before… why now?

My wife knows. About a week after I got back from my trip she started asking some very pointed questions. After trying to dodge a couple times I gave up and came clean… got ripped… and then woke up yesterday morning with a ragging hangover. I laid in bed until 3pm… and realized that every bad and hurtful thing I have ever done had happened while I was drinking. So it’s time to stop.

As of right now my wife hasn’t left. She is not happy, but she is still here. I haven’t figured out why. And that doesn’t mean she won’t be gone tomorrow. We’re talking about it… she’s asked me to be tested for STDs… and trust me… you never want to be in a position where your wife is asking if you wore a condom or pulled out.

Devastation.

All I know is this. My boys are the best thing I have ever done with my life. The idea of living the rest of mine without them kills me… yet two weeks ago I betrayed them. I have a new found appreciation for my family… the sheer fact they are here when I wake up and when I get home from work is a miracle.
I am here because I need to do right by my family. My wife didn’t tell me to stop drinking or she would leave. I’m here because I now know the root of my troubles… and if I don’t take control of the drinking… I’m never going to be the man that I know I can be.

-Tytan
Old 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for you situation Tytan - but you'll find a lot of support and help here at SR
Whats your plan regarding your drinking?

D
Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Ken....

Hi there...I read all these monthly support threads. I am a member of the August thread, (which VC is also), even though I relapsed and quit again in October.

I also previously had several years of sobriety...

That being said., I think it is wonderful that there is support here. If someone decides not to count days, or be on a list, I think you still need to include them We all learn from each other...and even in AA, you can attend drunk, you just have to have a desire to stop drinking.

Maybe approach this as a support group that desire to lead a new way of life in recovery.

Just sharing some of my experience...take what you want, leave the rest.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Well, I guess it's over as soon as it starts. Looks like an organized group support plan kind of goes against the grain of this place so I'll move on. Best of luck to all of you.

Ken
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Oh Ken...thats not it at all.

The idea is to be open to others, their ideas and viewpoints.

A group of recovering drunks/addicts works best with everyone on the path, but, traveling at their own pace.

You have alot to share that will benefit others..including me.

Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself, and why you decided to stop drinking?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Alright, here's the thing. If this sort of approach starts turning people off from the thread, I think we oughtta back up. I don't wanna speak for Keninomaha, but I think he's just tryin to be inspiring....but if we lose people, we all lose. Maybe we should just resume what we had going, as it was a really good thing.

Ken> "That's all I'm trying to do. Create a group to help each other."

It's already in place, kiddo!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe we should just resume what we had going, as it was a really good thing.
yeah - all this 'admin' stuff is understandable....but it's probably not doing much for the people who just walked in looking for help and support

D
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

amen
Old 11-12-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

My apologies.

Tytan, glad you found SR and I'm sorry to hear about your current problems. There are a lot of great people here so I hope you come often for support. Day 2 is a good start...try to take it one at a time! Best of luck to you!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

So..........a doctor, a lawyer and a priest walk into a bar.........
Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

V.C.

Glad to see in the bus again.

Hey everyone, what a great group of non-drinkers we make!

Staying sober at BUNCO tonight in Minnesota. What are your plans?

SB
Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Watching the Thursday night football game here...........making some dinner........

Kick some Bunco Butt SB.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Looks like I am joining the November group. Been sober since November 5th. So guess am working on day 8 here. Look forward to the journey with everyone here
Old 11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Welcome to the group Future. Nice to have you with us!! Congrats on day 8!!!!! I am on 7 myself. Post often and keep us up to speed!!
Old 11-13-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Day 2. Yesterday was my first day out of detox. I feel like that hospital was a lot safer than where I am now.

I want to go for a run, but I'm afraid my legs will take me to a dealers house.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

We had a bit of a rough day on the bus yesterday. Can we learn and move on? Day four for me - feel great, very optimistic and full of energy.

I have to hold it together for seven more days, my Dr. appt. is scheduled for next Fri. I have heard the phrase 'one day at a time' but I seem to be focusing more on my commitment to tomorrow. It seems that I have to connect today's behavior with tomorrow's success and opportunities.

Avoidance plans in place for today - the Michael Jackson movie with my kids.

I have heard it was fantastic.

See you all later,

SB