Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 8

Old 01-24-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

It is an absolutely miserable, dark, wet and cold day here! I will be riding after work tonight which I must admit I am not particularly looking forward to given the weather - I'd rather curl up with a book by the fire! A new acquaintance through hubby's tennis club has moved into our office building by chance, so we went out to lunch together today which would have been lovely, only the restaurant screwed up everything possible (we had to wait 20 mins when we got there as they had forgotten to reserve a table for our booking) and it was 2 hours before we got back to the office (the restaurant is only a 5 min walk from the office!). I won't bore you with the list of other things that went wrong, and in any case, that wasn't what even bothered me most, it was that the menu didn't offer any really healthy options, so now I also feel bloated and gross, and sad that my 'good' streak has been tarnished. Oh well.

NL: I love that you took the time out to 'putter' about! And I love even more that you described it as 'puttering' - LOL! I know the guilty feeling of blowing off a class you've already paid for, but I 100% endorse your decision! You absolutely made the right choice to avoid stress and rushing about. I hope you start to feel better and that it doesn't devolve - if you can take some rest to try and nip it in the bud, I think you should. Easier said than done, though, I know.

Palmer: Feel better!! There is nothing worse than that drained, yucky feeling of being totally run down. Take care of yourself! Lots of fresh lemon juice, grated ginger root and manuka honey tea (I swear by it!). I'm so sorry about the light fixtures - I hate when something like that triggers such an intense negative emotion. Always feel free to come and vent to us, though - that's exactly what we're here for!

Hi Dee, Sunflower and Scotty! Hoping Chase and BTLover might stop by soon to check in.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Numblady - THANK YOU. YES, it's so dumb, but I want to cry and throw a total fit over these light pendants. OK fine, I may have thrown a fit yesterday when no one was looking, and made sure to tell my husband how annoyed I was. And his response was perfectly reasonable, but I'm still devastated by the fact that they cannot be taken down and replaced IMMEDIATELY.

NC, that sucks about your lunch, it's the worst when you waste a meal like that which is neither healthy nor delicious! I've had the worst time sticking to reasonable portions lately, and it's been incredibly difficult to recalibrate my habits after all the holiday carnage. I hope you have a nice ride, and that your day improves quickly!

Hi to Dee, Sunflower, Chase, anyone else!
Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Just popping by to say I just had a wonderful ride and spent some quality time with my horse before and after the lesson which has me feeling very zen. Still working through some challenges with him, but feeling much less nervous and more determined now, which seems to be having a positive effect on progress!

I feel I’ve been moaning so much and dumping on you guys lately, that I should make it my business to come and post something positive, too :-)

Hope everyone is doing great and that you guys are feeling better Palmer and NL!!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

NC, I'm glad you had a good day, and as for the dumping - me too. I've been spending more time reading and posting on the Gratutide threads, which has helped me a lot. I do like to complain quite a bit, so it helps to balance out my thinking.

I got an email today about a job I applied for recently. It's technically below my current level, but I was encouraged to apply by the director (who knows my husband), the job description is pretty wide open and the salary is listed as DOQ, so we'll see. I'm kind of excited by the prospect of something new, and the organization is very up-and-coming, kind of similar to where my current one was when I joined 100 years ago.

I hope folks check in soon, I forgot to mention Scotty before...have a great day, guys!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Sorry to hear about the stress so many have been under for different reasons.

@ Palmer I totally get it about the light fittings. I recently painted two rooms in my house and love the colour, but I made a few painting mistakes and now that is all I can see and of course nobody else notices.

The job prospect sounds really interesting. Money is important of course, but so is fulfillment and challenge.

@ NC that ride sounds lovely I am glad you are gaining confidence.
@NL you always amaze me with the complex juggling act you have with your pressured work and the awesome Mom that you are. I hope there can be more of a pressure valve for you at work in 2019.

It’s my last week of Summer break and already my inbox is starting to fill up. Here in NZ our academic year is the same as a calendar one so the new school year starts next week. It’s such an anxious time for kids with diverse needs and their parents, especially the ones with 5 year olds (the age we start school here), but it is also an anxious time for teachers who have diverse learners in their class and so both sides converge on me. Don’t get me wrong I love this part of the job, but the first couple of weeks tend to be manic and then people get into their routines.

The weird part of course is that I am also one of those anxious parents too and have been emailing my equivalent at my son’s school too.

I am doing well on the no sugar side of things and am trying to eat healthily and so far have lost 4kg (around 9 pounds). I definitely have picked up more tools than I realised by quitting alcohol and I think especially recognising cravings for what they are. It is far too early to see if these are habits for life, once I am back to work and time poor and exhausted the quick and easy (and uber eats) habits will tempt me. I can definitely see how I replaced alcohol with sugar, initially because I was missing the sugar hit from wine, but then it was more of an addicts behaviour.

I’m sitting outside on my daybed, there is a walkway behind my house and a new Chinese immigrant family have moved in, their elderly father lives with them and every night he goes for a walk with a Chinese flute. I live in a valley and so it exhoes all around. So many in our neighbourhood have mentioned what a welcome addition he is to our community. The music is so lilting and it just makes me stop and let the world drift away.

He doesn’t speak any English, so I’ve shown my appreciation through smiles and gesture - he is one of the most serene people I have ever met. I want to be him when I grow up.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Scotty I love the description of the older man with the flute. How marvelous to be at a place in your life that you can truly appreciate it. Contrast now with if you were boozing your way through it all. Good luck as the academic year craziness sets in.

NC Bummer about the lunch. Hopefully it was a temporary setback on the healthy eating front. I have to echo Palmer’s words about the gratitude forum. In fact I guess that’s how I ended up going so many days without posting here. I guess I just kept going there instead! It’s just such a wonderful expression of joy and thanks from so many people. I’d say check it out if you can! Glad things are settling in with your horse. Hope it continues on that path!

Palmer, so cool on the job prospect. And what great timing in terms of you will probably be through your move and somewhat settled in to your house (I think?) if you do change jobs.

As for my job, Idk. I have at least distilled my primary complaint down to its essence which is that a lot of things land in my or my team’s lap and there are too many people on the sidelines calling shots but not actually helping. And basic communication is regularly lacking. But what I do with that I’m not sure. Some of it is truly the fundamental personality and leadership style of the three top ranking people where I work. So unclear to me what talking about it would accomplish. I’m going to keep thinking about it at least.

Well as usual I’m trying to drag myself to go work out. I still feel poorly physically. Like my lungs and throat just hurt. I’m not sick-sick but I’ve been taking it very easy. I think it’s helping?? I kind of wish I would either just get sick and be done with it or go back to feeling healthy and normal.

Hope you all have awesome days! I should be able to post more this weekend.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Hello to me! Just sayin hello and I thought of you all last night. Went out on a date with my husband because we had opera tickets. We went to a really good restaurant that every time we go to they snootily say “do you have reservations” and we say “no” because we never do. And then they say the wait will be like seven hours or something (okay it’s more like an hour and a half but basically a message of you won’t get in here and definitely not in time to see the show). So I just made a reservation last week. Duh! It turned out to be really good. Annnnyhow, I ordered a mocktail, just whatever the bartender came up with that didn’t have alcohol in it. They brought it out and it was really pretty. In a sturdy glass just like the real drinks. With a. Couple of blueberries for garnish. Primarily seemed to be just lime juice. It’s crazy how AV lurks around. I really didn’t wish I was drinking like the rest of the people. However, there was definitely a fairly large part of me that thought, wouldn’t it be just a little bit nice if they accidentally brought me a real drink? Like why would I think that if I don’t want to drink? I guess the mind will never entirely giving up trying to figure out a way to have the upside (the buzz) without the many downsides (the preoccupation, the unhealthy ness, etc.)

How are y’all doing out there? Sunflower are you still in Boston?.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. I’m here and back from Boston. Been sick all week and I’m so over it. Started a new bible study on the book of John. I’m enjoying it and the ladies are very nice for the most part. Not much else. Just enjoying life. I think hitting a year was really a turning point. I’m feeling very content and at peace with my sobriety.
Hope you all are doing well. I haven’t really been keeping up. I’ll have to go back and read the thread. 💕
Old 01-28-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Hi all! Sunflower, I'm so sorry you've been sick but I'm glad you're feeling good about your sobriety. I totally agree that in some respects, a switch was flipped when I hit one year, but at the same time, I've had some very interesting bad ideas about drinking! Similar to Numblady, not setting an intention to drink, but just some curious thoughts. I feel very secure and stable for the most part, but those thoughts remind me that addiction is indeed "cunning" and I have to step up my recovery efforts whenever those thoughts start to surface.

I know I've mentioned the Bubble Hour podcast, and the same woman has a blog. I thought that this was a particularly interesting thread (specifically the comments), and reminded me of why I needed to quit in the first place: https://unpickledblog.com/2014/06/08...quit-drinking/

This week might be a bit challenging for me, my husband is traveling and it may snow/ice, which would require me to get on an ATV snowplow since our driveway is ridiculously long. I also have a job interview on Friday which is exciting, but they are requiring me to give a presentation and submit a proposal on a specific topic, which is stressing me out a bit. I know I can do it, but it's an unexpected hurdle (and it's only the first round).

Ditto Numblady on the Gratitude threads, I post in both the morning and bedtime ones, and it has been an amazing gift to my sobriety. Hope to see some more folks over there soon (hint, hint, haha!)

NewChapter, Scotty, and Dee, I hope you all have a great day too!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Quick check in. Palmer good luck with that cold weather. Yikes.

We must always remember alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful. I know all too well how those sneaking thoughts can pop up.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Hi all, quick check in for me too. I had a really great day yesterday, back on track with my healthier eating habits, especially drinking lots of water, which is a small thing but it's both easy and impactful. I'm preparing for my interview on Friday, which I'm struggling with a bit because they are asking for something simple, but the "real" answer is very complex, if that makes any sense? Or maybe I am just making it that way?

When I got to my office yesterday, I had 3 little gifts waiting, all unexpected and from coworkers - just a reminder that if this new job opportunity doesn't work out, I'm really fine where I am, since I work with some awesome people who care about me. Plus, I'm super lucky to have the flexibility to manage other priorities, especially my family, since my husband's job is very demanding from a schedule and travel standpoint (plus it pays at least 3x what I make!)

Hi to Sunflower, how is everyone doing? Hope folks check in soon!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Palmer the image of you on the ATV snow plow is cracking me up for some reason! Also I would totally be psyching myself out about the presentation and interview but you know in your rational mind that they want someone Some level of competence but probably mainly just want to make sure you are not insane or anything. You got this! And how awesome is it that you are in a great spot regardless? I don’t know why I haven’t picked up bedtime gratitude yet. I’m enjoying the morning focus but reckon that can (and possibly should_ shift.

Sunflower glad you are starting to feel better (I think).

NC, Scotty, et al. Miss you guys. Talk soon I hope.

OK passing out. Long day and now supposed to be down to the capitol by 7. Ugh.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Numblady, me on the ATV should make you laugh, because I am not that kind of girl, like AT ALL. My husband did leave his Suburban so I can drive that if I absolutely need to. And you are so right about the interview, I'm thinking that they just want to see how I think, write, speak, present, and that I'm not insane or completely off base with my understanding of the relevant issues.

Good luck with the early morning, and join the Bedtime gratitude thread! I've also been posting in Newcomers, but I don't know if I've really been that helpful. I try to give the advice I needed when I first tried to get sober, but it seems like some folks have a fixed mindset about certain things that I'm not going to change, you know?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Morning ladies.

Palmer I read your response about humility and it was so spot on although that poster seems to be so angry right now I don’t think he is hearing any of the suggestions. It helped me though 😊

Numblady I hope your day at the capitol goes well.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Sorry for a quiet few days, it's been super busy socially, work wise and some big decisions hanging over!

@Palmer: Best of luck for the job interview! It sounds like it has the potential to be an exciting opportunity! As with yourself and NL, I've also been having odd thoughts and reminiscent ideas about drinking. I definitely need to keep my guard up as I want to nip those ideas in the bud before they have the chance to evolve. I really must visit the gratitude thread!

@Scotty: I hope that the new school year has gotten off to a bright start! I can only imagine how stressful and exhausting it must be managing the fear, anxiety and scheduling from both sides of the same equation! Major congratulations on the 9lbs weight loss, what an impressive achievement. Sounds like you are doing so well with the sugar management. I smiled so big reading your description of the Chinese man with the flute - even your written account made me feel serene and happy.

@NL: Thanks for the gratitude thread tip - I must make time to go check it out. I guess I just gravitate towards the Class thread as I feel we have such a lovely tight knit and respectful bond over here. Insulation and solace I guess! I'm sure the gratitude thread is just as welcoming and kind. I'm sorry to hear about the issues at work stemming from a few obstinate leaders at the top. That is one of the most frustrating situations because it can feel nigh on impossible to make any headway or effectuate any real change, which of course can make you feel powerless to the chaos. Sending hugs! So funny you mention about the fancy restaurant and the erratic thoughts of cocktails. I have found my mind wandering towards those rose tinted ideas a little lately, no doubt as I am feeling stressed about a decision I need to make about whether to re-apply for the Masters I declined last year. The AV really just knows when to pop up out of the blue! A reminder to us all to stay vigilant, I guess.

@Sunflower: I'm so sorry you've been unwell - sending hugs! I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying bible study and feeling so at peace and content.

That's all for now! :-)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Thanks Sunflower. I really appreciate that - I used to have such a know it all mindset about drinking too, and I realize how much it held me back when I kept doing all the things I was "supposed to" and relapsing, rather than humbling myself and listening to people who had been there/done that. I guess everyone has their breaking point, where they become so desperate they will try anything, and unfortunately there's no speeding it up.

Off to nag the tween and teen until they shovel the driveway!
Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 01-31-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in quickly before I jump in the shower and start the day. I'm pretty stressed out about my interview tomorrow, not so much the interview itself, but the pressure of this proposal and presentation. I feel like I should be able to completely nail it based on my knowledge of the broader topic, but I don't have a lot of knowledge about the specific field their questions refer to (cybersecurity). My mind is going in every possible direction, and now I'm up against a deadline and it's basically sink or swim. UGH.

I hope everyone is doing well out there, and checks in soon!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Checking in!

Palmer, I don’t know which thread/posts you are referring to but having been the recipient of your thoughtful replies myself, I’m sure your posts are helpful. As you and Sunflower point out that doesn’t necessarily make people ready to receive the help. I also notice there are folks who are pretty militant about this or that. I think you are doing the right thing to sincerely offer your thoughts for consideration, knowing not all will be ready to consider them.

NC the gratitude list is so welcoming. It’s a very pure place in my estimation. Really just people trying to help one another and notice the bright spots in life. Hope you find a bit to check it out!

Sunflower thanks for well wishes on capitol. I ended up not having to speak and not having to stay there all that long. It will be a pretty brutal week next week where I will officially have to testify at least two days in front of a giant legislative committee (like 28 of them all staring down at you!). But at least yesterday was way better than it could have been.

Also Palmer forgot to thank you for posting the link to unpickled blog. Something about having the link to click made me surmount the imaginary obstacle of not knowing where to find it!

Have a super day all!
Old 01-31-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Hi All!

Just a quick check in for me. I’m at a CPD training workshop today and tomorrow but also trying to keep on top of emails etc. for work. Of course there has been a tonne of drama this morning, but what’s new there. Feels like a constant battle with clients, prospective clients and suppliers. On the upside, I’ve just accepted it as the norm at this stage, so I no longer get as stressed and anxious as I had been over the past year. I just try to deal with the issues (oft imaginary, fabricated by or caused by difficult clients and/or obstinate staff members) !

I am really enjoying the workshop though and the facilitator is super charismatic. Unfortunately my riding lesson is cancelled this evening due to the cold weather - we couldn’t do much last night as the ground was so hard and all the horses were super fresh for some reason, too.

I posted on tbe Bedtime gratitude thread last night and I intend on making it more of a habit. Thanks for the push, guys!

@Palmer: I bet you’ll ace the interview proposal! It sounds like you’ve been working so hard on it. Sending you a big hug for luck!!

@NL: That testimony sounds terrifying!! I’m sure you’ll take it in your stride, though.

Hi Dee, Sunflower, Scotty and anyone else!