Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 8

Old 01-31-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Good morning. Palmer good luck with the interview
Old 02-01-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Just a quick post to wish you the best of luck today, Palmer!!

Hi to All, Happy Friday! More later :-)
Old 02-01-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Palmer, you’ve got this! I have no doubt your presentation will be polished and help convey you are definitely not a lunatic.

NC sorry about the riding lesson. So cool. You posted in bedtime gratitude!

Hi to Sunflower and anyone else lurking or who may come back soon!
Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Quick check in. Just saying hello.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Hi all - interview went pretty well, they called to schedule a follow up only a few hours after I left. Of course, I always think of things I could have said or done, but whatever, it is what it is, and I do believe that it will work out if it's meant to. This organization is much more upscale and polished than my current environment, which could be a nice change, and there is an opportunity to basically create my own job. We'll see what happens when I meet with the head honcho.

I hope everyone is doing well, loved seeing you in the Gratitude thread, NewChapter! I've been spending way too much time (during these snow days) watching Netflix - or more accurately, having it on in the background. I have a renewed interest in true crime, so if anyone needs some recommendations (Abducted in Plain Sight, OMG what did I just watch?) I'd be happy to oblige.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Just waving hello. First week back at work, crazy busy, but still sugar free
Old 02-02-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Hi All, Happy Weekend!!

Palmer, Congratulations and well done! Sounds like you totally nailed it (which we all knew you would) and that they are super keen to have you on board. When is the next stage/the meeting with the head honcho as you put it! I’m a total true crime junkie, so send all the recommendations please :-) I can recommend true crime books, too, if anyone’s ever on the hunt for a good one!

Hi Scotty, NL, Sunflower, Dee!

I reeeeally enjoyed the CPD workshop I was attending the last two days. It was so insightful and the host/lecturer was incredibly inmpressive academically/professionally but also totally charismatic and interesting to listen to, which really held and encouraged everyone’s engagement. There were some pretty big work issues over the two days which I had to manage around being out of the office and offline for the workshop for most of the day, but I definitely handled this a lot better than I would have in the past, and I am so grateful to see progress in that area. We had a major drama when it was flagged to my husband and I very late last night that there was a mess up involving a high profile client whom is quite unhappy at the moment and for which we have been dedicating huge resources into improving the relationship and managing their account, and it was really frustrating that this mess up occurred as it really should not have. Thankfully we managed to devise a resolution and hubby will be on client site today to try and patch things up. Sometimes just feels as though if we’re not micromanaging everyone every second of the day, Major things get missed or neglected. I have a riding lesson later, though, and I’m really looking forward to that!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:47 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Saturday morning, had a restless night sleep 😣, but it's day 4 🙌🙌🙌off to work in a bit. Felt human today, I even recognized the reflection in the mirror.
Today WILL be a good day, today I WILL NOT DRINK .

Have a beautiful day every one 🙏💖
Old 02-02-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hi all! NewChapter, that sounds like a stressful work problem! Do you feel like you are less likely to get "stuck" in bad feelings than you used to be? That is one major change I've noticed in sobriety/recovery, that I still have bad moods and problems (of course) but I just move past them more quickly rather than spiraling downward. I hope you have a relaxing weekend, maybe with some horseback riding?

My follow-up interview is on Tuesday, better to get it done so I can make a decision and put the wheels in motion, if need be. I just saw a quote on LinkedIn that said "go where you're celebrated, not where you're merely tolerated," and I took it as a small sign - not that I'm not celebrated where I am, but I'd love to be somewhere where other people get really excited about new ideas, innovations, possibilities instead of constantly resigning ourselves to the status quo because we've either been there/done that or it's too much trouble because of our micromanaging culture. I do feel pretty accepting of whatever the outcome is, so we'll just have to see.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

I think Palmer and I are traveling through the forums together. Just crossed in gratitude and betting will be same here!

Palmer I am glad that step in the process is behind you. I also have same question as NC on when next step is. I totally hear you on the thinking of all the things you could have said. I haven’t had a job interview in a long time but it will definitely be an issue/has been one when I testify in front of the legislature. Which I may have to do a fair amount next week since there are now 3 separate hearings involving us at the same time. Ugh. Wednesday is going to be a long day.

Scotty, congrats on the sugar free status despite being very busy!

NC I know what you mean about the struggle to let go but then the challenge of things not getting accomplished or done with fundamental pieces intact if you’re not watching. I don’t know what the answer is. Would be interesting to ask some people who successfully have done it. In our organization the folks leading teams successfully in a hands-off way seem to be male and then the hands on folks tend to be female. I don’t know if this is just us or if I’m just over generalizing. I just say this because in some ways I mean to emulate them but then I don’t really succeed. I guess where I’ve left it in my mind is that I will have to selectively let go but recognize that I”m internally motivated to know and be involved in things that fall in my area so at best I’ll have a blend of involved/less involved.

Doris, I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees class of January and just goes for it! Good luck on Day 4 and then Day 5. Even though we’re class of 2018 keep coming back. We’ve got your back!

I am still not feeling well. I feel like it’s been 2 weeks of trying to pretend I didn’t feel all that bad and just feeling progressively worse. Going to try and do a workout because I think I’ll feel even more beat down if I don’t. But I really wish I had more energy and felt better. Of course as I posted in gratitude, later today I’m seeing a friend with stage IV cancer (she knows I’m under the weather and said she wants to meet even though she has to really be careful with a compromised immune system), so I probably shouldn’t complain about having what is really just a malingering cold.

Hope y’all have a great day. We are having a small Super Bowl gathering tomorrow that I’m utterly unprepared for. And we have a mandatory two hour meeting up at the office. Barf. I should be back though. Taking it easy lends itself to posting at least.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Ha! I knew it! There’s Palmer. And thanks for answering my question on the next phase of your job search process.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Hey there everyone! Come out, come out wherever you are!

Just saying hi. Up early to do yoga and then get out of the house for a while. Hope all are doing well.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:37 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Hiya! I’m here. Up since 3am. I’ve got some relationship stuff going on and I’m sitting in a lot of sadness and fear right now. Now sure how today will play out but I will just keep putting one foot in front of the other and practice grace and gratitude today.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 02-03-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hi Dee! I hope you're doing OK, I'm so sorry about Gilmer's passing.

Sunflower, I'm sorry you're dealing with relationship stuff. Feel free to post about it or PM me, I'm always here to listen!

Numblady, we are two ships passing!

I hope everyone is doing ok - I had kind of a crappy day, but hopefully tomorrow will be better after I get back to my routine after all these snow days, etc. The person I was supposed to interview with is down with the flu and they asked to push it to the following week, which is when we're moving, but what's one more little stressful thing? Bring it on, right?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:14 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

@ Sunflower I’m sorry to hear about the relationship stuff, that really is so hard. My partner of 8 years and I sat down a few weeks ago for a really serious conversation. I’m trying to be more intentional about looking at his positives and what we have rather than the things that have been driving me crazy and are missing. It’s helped a bit, I work all day with people who are quirky and different and have a son who is both - I have to accept my partner’s quirks too. I can’t change some of them and if I choose to be with him, they are part of the deal, but equally there are other things that are not working for me and if there is not a willingness to meet halfway then we have hard choices ahead. He and I survived a really hard time some years ago now, much worse than this and the years that followed were great, so I am also mindful of the roller coaster of emotions and relationships too.

@ Palmer it is a great feeling when you can let the universe decide about big changes, I hope it all works out.

@Doris, how lovely to see you here, congratulations on day 4 and your commitment to not drinking. Hope to see you in here again.

NC sorry to hear about the client setback that is so frustrating. I know how hard you guys work. I hope the riding lesson helped take you out of yourself for a bit.

@NL hope you feel better soon, my Dr mentioned to me that people often don’t realise that the typical cycle of a cold is 3 weeks and often do too much too soon and get frustrated that they are not better soon, please continue to take it easy.

I’ve just had a week of staff only days and training, the kids start back this week and so I’ve been dealing with so many emails. I’ve noticed that since quitting sugar and losing a little weight my general mood and energy levels are much improved. It’s quite possibly all related to blood sugar, but it will be interesting how I go once I am back into the full time pressure of work.

I was thinking of our missing in action friends, I hope all is well with them, but know myself it is not always a sign something is amiss if they are not here. I know when I have disappeared from here for months it is just that I’ve been living a busy sober life and staying off the internet and then sometimes too much time passes and it feels like there is so much to catch up on. I know of course this is always ‘home’, but I do get why some drop away for long periods or for good.

We always leave a light on for them to know we are home if they come to visit 😎
Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm doing OK thanks PS - its sad but not unexpected and I'm glad her pain is over.

D
Old 02-04-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

YO dudes. I’ll be back later tonight I hope for a real catch-up. Have major Super Bowl party non-alcohol hangover. Just up too late. On feet too long. A lot of time being on. Weird dreams and cruddy sleep. And got crazy work stuff going on as usual. But did quickly want to say

Sunflower, I too am here for you. It takes courage to do what is right and sometimes it takes a long time for what is right to reveal itself to us. You don’t have to be in a hurry to sort everything out right away. Sit in grace as you describe it. Pray a lot. And know we are here to support you.

Palmer, sorry about the interview shuffle. This is kind of silly but sometimes one of the things I like about my job is that the stress keeps piling on in a way I can’t focus on any one thing too much or be too nervous about any one thing. I’m wondering if some ways the madness of it all happening at once may help you pull back from some of the fears and deep thinking about it. If that makes any sense.

Scotty, yes, leaving the light on is a good metaphor. I too understand why people can stay away. I think I get more bummed about it though just because they had such cool stories to tell. But that is life. People come in and out. Some stay, some go, and 99% of the time it has nothing to do with us.

Hi to Dee, NC and anyone else hanging around!
Old 02-04-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

That's good to hear, Dee. From what I read, it did seem that she had a calm acceptance about her illness but remained positive until the end.

Scotty, that's great about your improved mood with weight loss/reduced sugar. I had an especially rough day yesterday (mood-wise), some of it was prompted by the stress of our upcoming move and my mom's health issues, plus my husband's tendency to become very manic and his expectation that I will respond in kind. However, I did note that my sugar consumption, plus eating lots of random crap, has been off the charts at the same time as I have stopped exercising. Initially, I used the excuse of bad weather and freezing temperatures, but it has warmed up considerably, so now it's just my overall lack of motivation. Luckily, I'm back at work today and my kids are at school, so at least I can get back on track with my eating and water consumption, even if I'll get home too late to walk my dogs. When we move home, I'll have my treadmill again, so really no excuses.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:50 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Hi again. PS hope the walk and the water consumption happened!

Not sure when I’ll do more of a post than I did earlier today. I had things I wanted to talk about about the stories we concoct in our mind about people after I saw an old acquaintance. But it’s bedtime and I’m spent so I’ll have to try another day. Tomorrow is super early wake up and scramble to get to cycling class, solo with the kids and early bed, followed by super early wake up again to be down at the capitol by 7 and ready to be on. Ick! Gonna be a long day. Back when I can! Thinking of you all.