Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 8

Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

YAY NEWCHAPTER!!! So happy for you - congratulations!!!

I know what you mean about feeling "at sea" and not exactly sure what to do next. I think that's part of our next phase, I'm already finding that my mindset is shifting away from the more immediate/tactical elements of sobriety and into more of a recovery focus. Like, how can I maximize this gift and even think about helping others?

I hope you're able to do something small for yourself to celebrate! I'll be thinking of you today!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Thanks Palmer!! The little emoji party made me smile - thank you for that! :-)

Interesting to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way - I like your positive interpretation, it's really an opportunity to use this next phase to start utilising the gift of having freed ourselves from the grip of alcohol dependency to a stable point where it doesn't take up as much of our energy and all of our focus. I look forward to exploring those new possibilities!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

OK - that banana looks pretty inappropriate. But you know my intentions were good.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

He was my favourite, Palmer!!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I was also impressed by the emoji parade, banana and all!

but even more impressed with NC’s soberversary!!! Way to Go! LIke continuing to look at even the at-sea feeling as a gift.

More later. Super early start. Zombified.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

I went deep into the emojis - some real old-school gems in there.

Hope everyone has a better day tomorrow. I just posted on the Gratitude thread, and it was honestly kind of a stretch today.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I’m away on a roadtrip with my son with limited internet, but had to pop in on my 1 year anniversary and say congratulations to NC and my sober twin sunflower.

talk more soon.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats NC, Scotty, and sunflower - as well to anyone elses date I missed - it's been a rough week or two here.

D
Old 01-16-2019, 02:55 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

Thanks again all for the Soberversary love!! I wouldn't be here without you. Congratulations and happy Soberversary to Scotty and Sunflower!

I hope you're enjoying your trip, Scotty :-)

Loving that bunny, Palmer!

I was so psyched to get to bed super early last night, then was woken twice, once by a friend calling my husband's phone super late and again at 3am with the screeches of foxes outside. I have no idea what they were doing, but they were LOUD.

I finally got to the gym yesterday and did my first 5k run of 2019. I'm hoping to be consistent with 3 times a week at the gym, and coupled with my riding, I hope I can shift a little of the pudge! Still feeling a bit rudderless, but looking forward to riding this evening after work.

Dee, I'm sorry to hear you've had a tough couple of weeks. I hope things are coming right for you. Sending you lots of positive vibes!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks NC

D
Old 01-16-2019, 03:35 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Dee I hope things are on the mend for you 💕

Happy soberversary Scotty!!!!!!

I love our little support group here. We are all such miracles. I’m so proud of all of us.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Scotty and Sunflower WOO HOO!!!

Wow there are some outstanding emojis. :

Dee, I know it has been really rough with Kathy/Gilmer’s passing and there are probably other things I don’t know about but I know we are all grateful to you for keeping up your presence and as far as Kathy goes, sharing important information from the family. I know that you being a bridge between the two worlds was very appreciated. At least, I sure appreciated it.

Palmer, well you fooled me on the Gratitude list! I was doing like a fist bump over here with myself about the coffee in particular.

NC, I am with you on the kundalini. I can take it in small doses but it hasn’t grabbed me. I also understand that it’s a style but then also just like a basic idea that is interwoven into other yoga practices. Rod Stryker explained it but I can’t totally remember the explanation. I love vinyasa and Hatha. Well depending on the instructor of course. Tonight is a Hatha class. It’s from 8-9 which is usually when I’m basically falling asleep but I’m just going to try it once while I have the two week pass and see what happens.

And thanks for everyone’s encouraging words about finding my tribe. I do know they are out there somewhere. They just need to get on my EXACT limited schedule!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Enjoy Hatha tonight, NL!

Agreed - I actually really enjoy the breathing techniques as part of other yoga styles, such as the pranayama breathing at the start of Bikram and the kapalabhati breathing at the end of class, but as an entire format/style, Kundalini is just not for me. I think I'm probably just not disciplined/'zen' enough!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

I just had my riding lesson and it was awful. He was doing the same acting up as last week and the instructor says it’s cause I’m nervous and tensing up. I am trying my best and just feel like such a failure. It’s one of those watershed things where the whole drive home I just kept thinking about how much of a failure I feel in so many areas of life. I feel like I’m never good enough at anything. The list of things just flooded through my mind and I just feel like giving up at everything. I guess this is an extension of that lost feeling I’ve been having since the new year and hitting one year sober. I guess through a clear lense, I just feel as though I don’t measure up in any respect.

Sorry for the negative attitude, just needed somewhere to vent as the thoughts have been swirling since my lesson.

Hope everyone else is having a better day!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I am sitting up a mountain looking over a glittering lake while my son races up and down it on a luge. We”ve been here many times over the years, when kids are small you can tandem luge with them, it is hard to put into words how it feels that for the first time my boy has just left me in the cafe, grabbed a helmet and headed off up the mountain path by himself. At the bottom of the mountain there is a ski chair lift to get back up that used to terrify him. There are many challenges with life with my boy, but it makes wins like this all the more powerful and heartwarming.

Thanks for the awesome emojiis and congratulations - a year is a huge achievement, but I know what NC means it was also anticlimatic in a way, because there is this ‘so now what?’ feeling. My focus has been on sobriety for this whole year and I am really proud of what I have achieved and even prouder of this group that has been such an important part of my recovery. I think now it is about taking the tools I have been developing and putting them to use in other areas. Quitting sugar has been hard, but it’s been two weeks (with one planned ‘treat’) and I am really feeling the benefits, more so than I did when I quit alcohol if I am honest. Alcohol was silently destroying my body, there were the headaches (of course), the weird pains, the acid and blood tests showed liver damage, but as a ‘functional secret drunk’ I didn’t notice those things and when they stopped it was gradual too. The sugar thing has been so different, my energy levels have changed dramatically and so has my mood and my skin has cleared up almost overnight.

So this second year of sobriety for me is going to be focussed on losing weight and also trying to sort my sleep out. I do struggle with insomnia, largely due to the fact my son wakes screaming in the middle of most nights and getting back to sleep after that is often hard now I am sober instead of just letting the alcohol buzz helping (hah, when was it ever helping!) me fall back/pass out.

I think a year of sobriety is teaching me patience and faith in taking the long road to find solutions instead of wanting a quick fix. So 12 months from now I’d like to have achieved a slow and steady weight loss and healthy sleep habits.

@Dee I am sorry it has been a difficult few weeks, you take such good care of all of us, please know you are being thought of by people all over the world.

lol ok while typing this I have been watching the chair lift waiting to see my son and have just realised I am totally watching the wrong lift and his one is out of sight, epic helicopter Mum fail.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks guys - I'm doing ok - it's more things happening to other people

D
Old 01-16-2019, 06:50 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Scotty and Sunflower, I have to at least say HAPPY ONE YEAR!!! YOU DID IT!!!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Thanks Palmer, I have no idea how to do emojis, so am verrry impressed.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Ps I am in a hotel room with a minibar, one of the tiny bottles of gin was looking a wee bit too tempting so I shut it in a drawer, bet you I forget I did and get charged for it - oh the irony.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Morning ladies.

NC I’m sorry your lesson was a rough one. I can relate to your thought process. I too can go down the rabbit hole of lies my mind tells me but remember it’s just not true. You are most definitely not a failure.

For me I think this second year will be about emotional sobriety and also giving back. My first year was so focused on me and how I can stay sober so now I feel like I’m in a place where I can help others.

Scotty I’m happy to hear your son if off having fun and you get a break and are able to enjoy watching him. If the bottle is still too tempting you can have the hotel remove all alcohol from your mini bar. I know a lot of people that do that.