Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Well day 4 has ended on a high note. Went to a meeting with my sponsor in the town I am living in. Met new people, had some great laughs, drank entirely too much coffee. Hit another "tipping point" tonight... ready to get rid of my insurance alcohol. You know, the half bottle I was using to taper myself off with and was keeping me from a mindless jaunt to the corner store for more... I haven't touched it until tonight, I looked at it after I picked it up, smiled, and said "my friend, it's time for us to part ways for good". ( Some friend, he)

Feeling good. With that comes the panicky, waiting for the other shoe to drop feeling. My life is a mess and I have many storms to weather. I MUST work on my plan.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.

Bluedog, we were talking about this at the meeting tonight and with my sponsor. Us addicts seem to have addict brains. Sometimes we crave alcohol sometimes we crave something to replace that high, or buzz, that we get from other addictive behaviours, like, drugs, gambling, sex, relationships, collecting pogs or pez dispensers or whatever else you could think of. In the absence of one we seek to replace that void with another. I am cycling through this like crazy. Food, cigarettes, exercise, fantasizing about gambling, running away and holing up in a hotel room for a night or two... My farewell party to alcohol involved me, a cheap hotel room, a steak supper, a live band, much gambling and waaay too much winning, which paid for my hotel, my food, my booze soaked night, and had me walking away with money in my pocket. I was lucky to end my bender on not the most awful note and nobody was the wiser. Sometimes my mind goes there with a feeling of "ahhhh" but no real desire to actual be back in that place in reality. Anyhow, I think how us impulsive people have to work on being mindful in our moments, and making healthy habits part of our daily rituals so our AV has less space to occupy.

83mamaof2, have you tried AA? When you are at day 1, consider any and every option. There are so many good resources especially on here. If you get to AA try and get a sponsor and as many numbers as you can. Remember that you are the only one who can keep you sober or drinking- if you commit to being sober, you can find strength through your higher power and a supportive community. Read lots in the mean time. If you fall back, don't give up. Try to focus on staying sober for today. And one day at a time. Took me a long time before that sank in. If you have a smartphone, download the app called SoberTool. Much recommend. My weakest moments when I need help NOW I just open it up on my phone and I can read any message pertaining to however I am feeling and it says whatever I need to internalize at that moment. Just don't give up

Hope every one has a good night... and here's to a great Friday to all of us!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Two weeks sober
I've mananged anywhere between 2 weeks and a month a few times before and then relapsed because I couldn't envisage the rest of my life without alcohol. I'm now thinking in terms of the wonderful benefits an alcohol free life will bring me, and I'm determined not to let alcohol rob me of them. I've removed all alcohol from the house and I've opened up to a few more people about my sobriety this time around. I need to find new and better ways to occupy my old drinking time. I'm so determined that I've had my last drink. I think it helps to really focus on the benefits to stay positive. Considerably better health and appearance, respect of family and friends, precious moments not lost in a drunken haze or a preoccupation to find the next drink, more money, the capacity to help others, no hangovers, freedom from the slavery of alcohol!

Best wishes all.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

I've woken up this morning with some pretty bad cravings that have seemingly come out of nowhere. I don't want to drink though so I'm not going to. Off to an AA meeting this morning and then buying some stuff for my recovery pinboard I'm working on. Then doing a little bit of volunteering. I've got day 4 in the bag.

Delizadee - Getting rid of your insurance alcohol is massive! Well done. It's good to remove any temptations in your close proximity at least. I have about 5 bottles of 'insurance' vodka left - not a brilliant idea. It just so happens I bought 5 bottles before I decided to quit...

Sonic - Congrats on 2 weeks! Stay strong and keep thinking positively.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Hi all

Im new here, been lurking for a day, I lasted 3 days without a drop of wine, and went through a night filled with insomnia, hot flashes, sweats, only to buy a bottle of wine tonight and drink 3/4 of it. At least I didn't drink my usual 2 bottles I guess, but still, Im disappointed I couldn't even stick out a week!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I think I need some support

but I heard AA meetings are run my churches, and they talk about God helping you etc, thing is.......I don't believe in God at all
Old 02-19-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Coco - Don't be too hard on yourself for slipping up, and well done for drinking less than usual. You don't need to be religious to attend AA, but keep an open mind, some others have used their religion to get through their recovery and others have not. We're all just sharing our personal experiences. I think it would be great for you to try out a meeting if you're struggling.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Thanks Old Tomato, I did want to finish the bottle and was about to walk up the road for another, so yeah I guess I used a bit of willpower in that respect. Im just disappointed that I just cant drink a moderate amount of alcohol once a week like normal people! Its like Im still trying to prove to myself that I can drink normally.

How are you doing?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

That's the thing, we can't drink like 'normal people'. You don't need to think about permanent abstinence at this point, but also don't be wishing for that one or two drinks a week you're aiming for. Focus on getting through this week, or day, or hour without drinking, whatever works for you. I found when I looked too far ahead I got impatient and just started drinking again. I'm taking it a day at a time now and I celebrate each day of sobriety, I hope I can make it stick this time.

I'm trying to beat back some cravings today, and my hands are still shaking but I'm pretty used to that now. I'm getting ready to leave for an AA meeting now, I'll catch you all later!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Morning guys day 18 up early for work.

See some people slipped up I think it's important to really look at what you can learn from those situations.

This is the first time (out of MANY attempts) that I actually have a plan to stay sober. I literally wrote it down, thoroughly outlined it, the whole deal. And I am noticing a confidence that was never there before. But it's a cautious confidence, not a complacent confidence. Part of my plan is to stay humble and stay focused and NEVER let my guard down.

That AV is a sneaky S.O.B. Don't let it outsmart you.

Happy Friday everyone
Old 02-19-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. So many posts last night.

Day 20. I know for folks in this group this weekend will be a challenge. Stay strong one day at a time.

Applekat, sorry to read about your slip. Keep posting. Pick yourself up and move forward.

Have a good Friday folks
Old 02-19-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Msn1... Great post. Like you I have had many attempts. I woke this morning grateful I did not drink last night.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Old Tomato - hmmm yeah youre right, we will never be able to have 1 or 2 drinks and leave it alone for the rest of the week. I have to accept this. I have never been able to, so why would I be able to now? - I wont. Im just kidding myself and feeling short changed why I cant manage and control it whilst others can.

I hope your AA meeting swashed the cravings you've been experiencing by reinforcing your determination to succeed. And I hope your shakes settle down.

Thank you for replying to my posts.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Whats an "AV"???
Old 02-19-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=mns1See some people slipped up I think it's important to really look at what you can learn from those situation.[/QUOTE]

Good point mns1 - I haven't worked out my triggers
Old 02-19-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

AV is addicted voice. I'm on day 12 here and looking forward to another sober weekend.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 83mama0f2 View Post
Day one. Again. Anyone else find any other options besides AA? Church groups? I am involved in my church and I think they hold meetings for alcoholics.. Would that be just as good?
There are a number of other options available: SMART, SOS, Lifering and Celebrate Recovery are some examples. However, AA is the most prevalent. Is there a reason why you don't want to try AA?
Old 02-19-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
but I heard AA meetings are run my churches, and they talk about God helping you etc, thing is.......I don't believe in God at all
There are secular support groups Cococo. See my post above this one and/or google "secular sober" for more information on these groups.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

SansaS - thanks. I googled it and came up with "Alcoholic Voice" and "Addicted Voice".

Yes, well, my AV sure is a tricky bugger. I just have to learn how to out smart her. I think I need more active support (AA meetings or the like), a plan and to figure out what my triggers are. I feel as though these 3 things are going to be the key to my success.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

0630 EST.
About to start Friday at work. Today I'm looking for a win.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
0630 EST.
About to start Friday at work. Today I'm looking for a win.
Make it a good day JL.