Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-21-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class!

Ive just been reading our thread and catching up with the news and successes. I enjoy reading about how well everybody is doing and how everybody supports one another. Its heart warming.

Its the beginning of day 3 for me and Im feeling strong, positive and confident.

I woke up sober this morning after another great nights sleep. No hot flashes, no waking up every hour, no tossing and turning, no bad dreams etc.

If I haven't slept well the night before (usually because Id been drinking), then all the next day Im tired, short-tempered and easily stressed. In saying that, I don't sleep that well full stop, drinking or not.

And when Im easily stressed, and then actually get stressed, then I start wanting alcohol because I think it calms me down (Ever heard "Arh Ive had a sh*thouse day, or Im so stressed out, I REALLY need a drink"). Whereas in actual fact, Im getting stressed for 2 reasons, that is, tiredness and my mind/body wanting/needing alcohol.

Im working on the "mind/body wanting/needing alcohol" right now with all of you but I think I have a better chance at doing that if I can eliminate the "tiredness" factor.

If I can start each day well rested, fresh and sober (not tired and hungover) then I have a much better chance of dealing with my alcohol cravings when/if I get stressed.

Its hard to fight when youre tired, hungover and get stressed (stress easily because youre tired and hungover). Its like a self feeding vicious cycle.

Well, that's my theory anyway.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Have a great night/day everyone. Im thinking of you all.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to those hitting milestones today and congrats to those who've stumbled but made it back

For anyone struggling here I really can't recommend a recovery plan highly enough.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 02-21-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Day 7 for me. I hope everyone is staying on the tracks. I am still pretty miserable but I am sober.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Technically it's day 4 for me. But this is gonna be my Day 1. Because I reached out to my old sponsor and made plans to see a psychiatrist. I know it runs to deep to do this on my own. Was in Class of December.. Joining Feb. hi!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Day 19. I'm about to leave the teens. Still sick today. AV was present for the first time last night....there was temptation to sneak a Not Your Dad's Root Beer last night, but I ignored it and made it through.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Technically it's day 4 for me. But this is gonna be my Day 1. Because I reached out to my old sponsor and made plans to see a psychiatrist. I know it runs to deep to do this on my own. Was in Class of December.. Joining Feb. hi!
Welcome, Cute! I was in the January class and just joined Feb and I'm pretty sure it's one of the best! Congrats on Day 4!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Day 19. I'm about to leave the teens. Still sick today. AV was present for the first time last night....there was temptation to sneak a Not Your Dad's Root Beer last night, but I ignored it and made it through.
Yeah for you, Out! I can't have the stuff in the house at all so you're much stronger than I am.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Hi Cute

Welcome! We are an awesome bunch of people in here. Myself, Ive found everybody so understanding and supportive. We will help you through this. You just need to post and ask for help.

Its great that you realise you need help with beating this.

Why start at day 1 again?

If its day 4, then its day 4!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better Oroszlan - trust me

welcome CuteNGayYay

D
Old 02-21-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Well done for coming back and staying sober everyone! I breathe a sigh of relief when you all check in.

Coco - You got it, keep taking care of yourself, you're on the right track!

Oroszlan - Keep going, it'll get better, you got this.

CuteNGay - Don't disregard those 4 days you powered through! It's not easy and you've done so well. A speaker in my meeting today ignored a whole two years of sobriety because she was 'dry drunk' throughout it - someone spoke up and told her to add the 2 years onto her sobriety! It's not easy, be proud of yourself.

Outonthetiles - Well done for continuing to beat that AV!
Old 02-21-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Hi Optimist

Welcome to you too! Together we are a true team. Well, that's how I look at it. And a true team sticks up for one another. And we will stick up for you. If youre needing support then come in here, or go to another thread.

I love your name!

Ohhh and Im on day 3 (again). Yes, it is again, but that's ok, Im in for the long haul :-))))))))))))) and Im not scared, Im excited!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

OT - I feel like that too. Weird isn't it.

When I log in and read that we all made it through another day I feel better. It IS like a sigh of relief!

I am truly rooting for everybody here. I see all of us as a team, a family.

When I read about everybodys successes and how they made it through another day/week, I am genuinely happy for them, it makes me happy :-)))))))))
Old 02-21-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

I know right? I'm glad I started posting here, we're all in it together and I can finally take my sobriety seriously instead of half-heartedly attempting not to drink for a few days. I worry about those who stop posting on here, I hope they find their way back soon.

I'm off to bed now. I made it through Day 6! I've officially beaten my previous sobriety record. Let's keep it going.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Orozlan: As many other forlk have said, I think it get's better.

CutAndGayYay: Welcome. This is a great class. I think I remember you, AppleKat and a few others from some earlier classes.

Day 7 today, and I'm feeling OK. Had a big fight with my Wife today which would have usually been a trigger, but I took some deep breaths and removed myself from the situation.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

I wish somebody could keep a tally of who is on what day. It would require a bit of work with reading through all the posts and then theres the time differences (everybody starts a new day at a different time and all that), but I might try doing this.

Does anybody have any objections to my doing this?

And if mistakenly forget somebody or get their days wrong, then the person can just correct me.

Does anybody see this as helpful?

If not many people are interested then I'll flag it, I want be offended or anything, its just a casual idea
Old 02-21-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Oro - you ARE doing well. Is there anything that anybody here can do to help you? Does reading other threads on here help? How about starting your own thread? Are you exercising, even if its on your lounge room floor with the music on, or running up and down (walking down) stairs at home, or best of all a walk around the block?

I know you have been down in the past few days, but please don't turn to the enemy for help, because it wont make you feel better, and it wont help you.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
glad to see you back CuteNGay--you can do it
Old 02-21-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

FF - so tomorrow morning you will have been sober for 7 whole days, 1 week!

I bet you are looking forward to hitting the 1 week mark!

I cant wait to be able to type up on here "Yay Ive been sober 1 week today". Im only on day 3.

You did well by removing yourself from the argument. We don't need arguments at the moment. It doesn't matter who started it or what it was about, WHO CARES, that pales in comparison to our objective - to stay sober.

Make staying sober your absolute number 1 priority for a while. If somebody starts arguing with you, just ignore them or remove yourself (as you did), and keep thinking to yourself "Im not going to let somebody drag me off my path".

Conversely, if you find yourself getting argumentative (we all do because were human), then once again ignore YOURSELF and remove yourself. Easier said than done of course, but that's what we are all learning - to regain our inner strength and willpower in EVERY aspect of our lives.

There certainly isn't any inner strength or willpower being executed by an actively drinking alcoholic. And whilst doing it we often directly, AND INDIRECTLY, cause arguments with those around us. We may not even be aware that we do! But we do.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Hi everyone....I wanted to check in to reconnect with all of you. I'm so dreadfully tired of my back and forth with this. I just feel like I'm either on a high of sobriety, slipping back into drinking, or back on day one trying it once again. It's an exhausting cycle.

I know that I needed to add something more to my resources, to my plan, to my tool box. I just didn't know what else to do. But yesterday I purchased the book "30 day Sobriety Solution" by Jack Canfield after hearing him speak about it on the Recovery 2.0 conference this weekend. So I've done all the preliminary work and I've committed to staying sober and completing the action steps daily. I know there is no "solution" to sobriety, and I don't love the title, but I do like approach and the structure it provides.
As badly as I want to be and stay sober, obviously there are some pieces missing or I wouldn't keep going back to drinking after a few days or weeks. So on top of SR, podcasts,and journaling, I am adding this program and committing to it each day.
The bottom line is that it all comes down to me. SR can't do it, a book can't do it for me. I have to be the one to take the action and not just when it's easy, because that seems to be my pattern. I fall short when it's not so easy and I seemingly abandon all I know and all the resources I've accumulated, and just mindlessly...go for the drink without a fight.
30 days is a solid short term goal.
So I'm glad to be back with all of you, glad to see your posts and sharing your ups and downs. I'm feeling very raw today (typical day one emotions), so forgive me if this post is a little scattered, and self -centered.
Honestly just ready for bed and to get this day one over with.
Love to all.