Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Day 5 under the belt at the campsite and enjoying nature. Feeling so much better. Just a few stomach cramps but sure this will pass shortly.

Have an awesome sober weekend everyone!!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Day 16. The weekends are / were generally when I drink. I plan to work on a BMW S52 engine to stay occupied. Stay strong brothers and sisters. Come get dirty with the engine if you would like.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Day 17

I had insomnia last night, don't feel that great today.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Day 7 here. I'm at the familiar stage where everything in this town is annoying me. Nothing I can do about it right now. I'm in the unenviable position where if I gripe to people about how much I hate this town, they get offended because they live here too (I guess they like it). Just telling myself drinking won't fix it.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Memories of Alcohol

I drank for happiness and became unhappy. I drank for joy and became miserable. I drank for sociability and became argumentative. I drank for sophistication and became obnoxious. I drank for friendship and made enemies. I drank for sleep and woke up tired. I drank for strength and felt weak. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes. I drank for courage and became afraid. I drank for confidence and became doubtful. I drank to make conversation easier and slurred my speech. I drank to feel heavenly and ended up feeling like hell. - Author Unknown

I came across this today and just thought I'd share. I don't miss feeling like that. Today I can thankfully say I'm sober and have been for 15 days. Have a good sober weekend everyone!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Day 9 today. Was thinking about going to a work party this weekend but I think I'll skip it. I don't trust myself in social situations yet.
I went to lunch today with a coworker (he's also a friend) who reminded me of something I said on a business trip while drunk last summer that I didn't recall saying. I felt the familiar flush in my face of regret for my behavior.
I stayed quiet and held my head high despite wanting to get up and run out of the restaurant. I will use this experience to remind me why I choose an alcohol free life - without alcohol I know I won't say things I am embarrassed about and don't remember later.....thankful I never have to "go there" again!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

I like that njdellis. So true!!!

I drank to feel part of the crowd, yet acted like a fool so that I stood out from the crowd (and not in a good way!)
Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Day 4 is done, it was a good day. I get along with people a lot better when I'm sober - I was always in a bad mood when I was drinking. The shaking hands are slightly embarrassing but that'll pass soon. I also found a sponsor! I'm going to a meeting with her on Sunday morning. Going to AA meetings and listening to people speak is great but I need to get more involved if I want to maintain my sobriety. Hopefully my sponsor can help me with that.

njdellis - That was perfect, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Job shopping when broke, freshly sober and uber tired- ugh. Not to mention trying to tie up loose ends from all the unfinished work I have from last year's photo editing when I decided to ditch out on life. YUCK.

....stillll sober. Hope everybody's day is going ok!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Day 4 is done, it was a good day. I get along with people a lot better when I'm sober - I was always in a bad mood when I was drinking. The shaking hands are slightly embarrassing but that'll pass soon. I also found a sponsor! I'm going to a meeting with her on Sunday morning. Going to AA meetings and listening to people speak is great but I need to get more involved if I want to maintain my sobriety. Hopefully my sponsor can help me with that.

njdellis - That was perfect, thanks for sharing.

Good job on getting a sponsor! Do you have the big book yet? One thing you might hear more than once is that God gave you two ears and one mouth, so you can listen twice as hard. Or something along those lines but I'm sure you get the point. It took me a lot of listening before some things started to really sink in for me.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Thanks for welcoming me everyone!

Its morning time here. Im on day 1 (again) today. I only lasted 3 days earlier this week (pretty sad effort really). I tripped up last night. In saying that I didn't drink myself to oblivion, so I don't feel too bad this morning. But I am in a foul mood.

I need to actively try harder. I cant just say "oh yeah, Im not drinking anymore". I did mean it earlier this week when I stopped drinking, I really did. Its just I didn't try hard enough to stay away from alcohol. I gave in to easily. I was at the supermarket buying some lovely fresh fruit and vegetables, meat etc., I avoided the wine aisle, paid for my groceries and was driving home when I realised I forgot to buy olive oil (which I need today to cook all my meals for the week, I cook and freeze), so I turned around and drove back to the supermarket, but I emerged with olive oil AND a bottle of wine! I did NOT try hard enough, I could've used more restraint.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by njdellis View Post
Memories of Alcohol

I drank for happiness and became unhappy. I drank for joy and became miserable. I drank for sociability and became argumentative. I drank for sophistication and became obnoxious. I drank for friendship and made enemies. I drank for sleep and woke up tired. I drank for strength and felt weak. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes. I drank for courage and became afraid. I drank for confidence and became doubtful. I drank to make conversation easier and slurred my speech. I drank to feel heavenly and ended up feeling like hell. - Author Unknown

I came across this today and just thought I'd share. I don't miss feeling like that. Today I can thankfully say I'm sober and have been for 15 days. Have a good sober weekend everyone!

Congrats on 15 days. I like this post.

Well everyone Friday is here finally. the day when I usually say it is time to unwind with a bottle of wine.

Not tonight. I want to make in 3 week ends in a row.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

OldTomato - EXCELLENT about day 4! Well done. Did the AA meeting help with your cravings? That's great you got a sponsor. I have read theyre like a mentor.

Now onto day 5 (for you)! Get it in the bag OT!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Delizadee - I have the big book on my Kindle, I read a chapter whenever I get the opportunity.

Coco - Have you drank it yet? Throw it away if not!

soberjim - 3 week ends in a row would be amazing, just keep focusing on how great that's gonna feel. Stay strong!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Coco - Thank you! The meeting was a massive help, they always are. When I gave up in the past I always felt like something was missing without alcohol. Going to AA fills that void for me.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Delizadee - I know how you feel. Its not a great feeling when several corners of your life look grim all at the same time. Im in a similar boat. BUT at least you will be way better equipped in dealing with them when sober. I used to drink sometimes TO cope or tackle a situation. Well, that was my (flawed) thinking. But I never used to cope or tackle the situation under the influence. The ironic thinking!!! I strongly believe one can tackle 1 corner of ones life at a time if sober. Once that corner is sorted, then onto the next. It all seems to unravel when one drinks.

OldTomato - Its morning time here. I have never drunk in the morning. I tend to start around 3pm onwards. It started with 7pm, but the start time got earlier and earlier. I have no doubt whatsoever that if I don't stop drinking now then in a few years time I WILL be drinking in the morning, because that's been the pattern so far (starting earlier and earlier as time goes on). But anyway.......yes, I tipped the last 1/4 of the bottle down the sink when I woke up this morning. I cannot have alcohol sitting around and not drink it. It doesn't last 5 minutes. How people can have a wine rack or wine chiller and have wine sitting there for weeks on end without touching it amazes the (alcoholic) me.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Well done for tipping away the rest of it Coco. It's easy to stop myself from buying more alcohol as I can just leave my ID at home (I have a baby face so I won't get served without it!!!). Is there anything you can do to make things easier? Like switching supermarkets? Keep reminding yourself of why you want to quit. Honestly the only thing that has worked for me is AA. I don't want to speak too soon but I feel differently about quitting this time. I used the religion side of it to avoid it for a long time as well, but I'm an atheist and I love it!! Each time I quit I try something I didn't try before.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Freedom1982 – good on you for getting to day 5. You’ve got all that poisonous alcohol completely out of your system now. Your system is free and clean. Now you can start repair.

Badger07 – you’re over the 2 week mark! I really admire you. Working on the car sounds like a great plan to keep you distracted from thinking about drinking. Do whatever you need to do Badjer07.

Outonthetiles – I know how you feel re: insomnia. It will get better. Can you get a cat nap for an hour or 2 today?

Bluedog97 – Wow, stay sober today and you’ve made it to 1 week!!! I know exactly how you feel. I have days when I feel everyone is out to annoy me or be nasty to me. You are 100% correct - drinking will NOT (and has never) make anybody feel better, including the people around us.

Njdellis – you too are over the 2 week mark like Badger07! What an inspiration you are. I hope I can get that far. Thanks for sharing your poem. Its so true and correct.

Kittycat3 – well done on reaching day 9. Don’t dwell on your past mistakes, that was the old you. Concentrate on continuing being the new you. Good idea about flagging the dinner outing. It doesn’t sound like something important anyway. You will save yourself some money by not going.

I just wanted to give a mention to everybody on this page. Im a newcomer here, and you are all my inspiration. I admire each and every one of you. Please keep up the great work.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

OldTomato - The government brought in a law years and years ago where all supermarkets, corner stores and diaries (milk bars) can sell wine and beer (not spirits though), and so naturally the money hungry supermarket chains all stock wine and beer. Unfortunately all supermarkets stock it. And there are supermarkets EVERYWHERE. Within a 15 minute from my house there would be like 10 supermarkets, its madness.

The only thing I can think of is......take my 8 year old son supermarket shopping with me, because I wont buy any alcohol with him around. Oh and not because Im such a great mother! Because he says to me "Mum you drink too much wine".........even he knows! Sad actually! In saying that he is almost 9 years old and he is highly gifted so he is more like a 12 year old (his observations/thinking etc). I am a good mother, just not a great mother (in my opinion). Im not at my full potential as a mother when Im drinking, how can I be whilst half drunk! In saying that I usually drink when he's in bed asleep or at his fathers house, so he doesn't see me "drunk", but sometimes I drink wine out of a coffee mug whilst he's around whilst Im cooking dinner. Fancy hiding my alcoholism in a coffee mug from my 8 year old son!!! This thing really knows how to make you feel like crap about yourself!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Good afternoon everyone (US afternoon )

It's a busy day for me today, so I haven't had time to read through many of the posts. However, I came across an article I'd like to share. It's another article about finding happiness and contentment without booze:

"My advice? Open your mind and believe me when I say that yes, you will become a different person, but Future You will be a million times more interesting, more confident, more sociable and less miserable once you've kicked the booze.

I'm not going to lie and tell you that you will stay the same. You won’t, because you'll grow up and learn how to live like a normal, self-sufficient human being who doesn’t need a prop to get through the day or night."

How to Be Sober and Happy - mindbodygreen.com

I hope this provides some help and encouragement. Stay strong and enjoy today and this weekend.

Peace