Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-19-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Time2Rise - thanks. I have tried finding something like that but they don't exist in my city/country (a small place). That's ok, I think I will give an AA meeting (or two) a go all the same, just to see what its like, Im sure they don't discriminate against the non religious :-)

I need to hear that Im not alone. I need to hear how others overcome their difficulties (what worked for them). I need to hear that I too can do it.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

JL2014 - you will win today, I know you will.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Night all, its very late Friday night (early Saturday morning in fact) here.

I am not going to drink over the weekend. Im going to throw myself into housework and cleaning as a distraction, and come on here and have a read if I feel cravings or my AV.

Go hard everybody, have a sober, clear headed, healthy and active weekend.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Cococo, stick around, this is something you can do.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome cococo

D
Old 02-19-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

((((Appplekat)))) glad to see you back!! You can do this.

Welcome Cococo!

JL, I'm right there with you, praying for a sober weekend. It's when I always slip so making a plan for this weekend. Let's get through it together.

Starting Day 6. Planning on getting some stuff done around the house and then tonight we are taking our 6 yo daughter to a minor league (Flyers) hockey game. Should be fun and it gets me out of the house (where my AV is always lurking) so that's a good thing!

Stay strong and have a great Friday everyone. Post here if you are struggling and BEFORE you take that first drink
Old 02-19-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks 5upersonic!!
Old 02-19-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Thanks to those of you that responded to me yesterday. I really appreciate it. I'm going to work a bit harder to incorporate the wonderful suggestions I got.

Welcome to the new classmates.

Have a good day, everyone.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Good morning! Today is day 12. My three year old decided to wake up at 11 last night and remain awake and playing/restless for several hours. He's sleeping peacefully now, ha, while I get ready for work. Kids are funny.

I hope you all have a good and sober day.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Good morning everyone,

((((Appplekat)))) glad to see you back!! You can do this.

Welcome Cococo!

JL, I'm right there with you, praying for a sober weekend. It's when I always slip so making a plan for this weekend. Let's get through it together.

Starting Day 6. Planning on getting some stuff done around the house and then tonight we are taking our 6 yo daughter to a minor league (Flyers) hockey game. Should be fun and it gets me out of the house (where my AV is always lurking) so that's a good thing!

Stay strong and have a great Friday everyone. Post here if you are struggling and BEFORE you take that first drink
I had to change my routine and stay out of the house between 4-6, for the first 8 days! Hockey game is a great idea. I'm sure you and your daughter will have a great time. I've not talked with my kids about what I'm doing but my 6 year old has been giving out allot more hugs and just hanging out with me more over the last week I'd say. He notices something even if he doesn't know what it is.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Time2Rise - thanks. I have tried finding something like that but they don't exist in my city/country (a small place). That's ok, I think I will give an AA meeting (or two) a go all the same, just to see what its like, Im sure they don't discriminate against the non religious :-)

I need to hear that Im not alone. I need to hear how others overcome their difficulties (what worked for them). I need to hear that I too can do it.
Coco, I used to buck AA for a long time because of the "God" factor and not being a believer either. Or how at the very least, my religious beliefs needed to be separate from my drinking or sobriety as I didn't have any kind of strong religious base to fall back on. Like any recovery plan, you take what you can and want out of it, and tailor it to yourself. I tried a lot of different groups before I settled on a home group and got a sponsor. If you don't believe in god, you can take strength in numbers, and replace god with something else, like Good Orderly Direction. Group Of Drunks. I remember one meeting a guy saying that one man he knew decided a salt shaker was his higher power. You can find what works for you, and what groups work for you. The support you will receive in those rooms will show you that it can be a safe place to fall in good times and bad.

If you are at the place you are really earnestly seeking change, then read read and read more and approach every resource out there with an open mind. Throw everything you have at it. Make a plan. If something is not working to support your sobriety, then change it. Don't knock it till you try it, and like I did- try it more than once! I know when I stopped going to meetings and talking to my sponsor, rationalizing drinking and that I "wasn't that bad" became very easy and I fell many, many times, and so fast and hard. You can do it!

Woke up on ma day 5. Feeling good. I went to bed late with no sleep aids last night and I had such a cozy sleep, no nightmares. I did dream that I went back to the detox centre I had attended before Christmas to tell the case manager there that I'd be ready to chair a meeting there on August 14th which would be my 6 month mark. He had asked me if I would be willing to do that when I left detox because they thought I was a good speaker. I thought that was awesome. It was a good dream.
I worked some more on my step 4 and recovery plan. Last night even though I was all alone, no kids or dogs, I still went to my meeting, had a great night, wasn't an emotional wreck like I used to be when I was alone which led me back to drinking every time.

Sending positive thoughts everyone's way today! Let's stay sober for today!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Wanted to say good job to my fellow februarians!
Two weeks here! Physically I'm feeling great (ran 9 miles yesterday) but mentally things are a bit of a roller coaster- which I know will be the case for quite some time.
I'm working on cultivating patience (it will take time to get where i want to be), wisdom (learning about addiction, meeting others, reading on SR), and kindness (towards myself and others).
Hope everyone has a relaxing, sober weekend!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
Msn1... Great post. Like you I have had many attempts. I woke this morning grateful I did not drink last night.
Awesome! Every sober day is a blessing.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Good point mns1 - I haven't worked out my triggers
Yes identify them, write them down, make a plan to deal with them appropriately.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hi folks. Always great to read everyone’s posts. A warm hello to each and every one of you.

Day 25 and I am feeling so damn good!!! Life is good. Really is. Never thought I would say that. Nearly four weeks ago I was depressed, in despair and not caring if my car crashed into a tree. I feel I am getting my joy for life back…

Chinaski. Have you had a period of abstinence in the past? Its so hard to quit again once you start drinking. This is what stops me from taking that first drink because I know it wont just be one..it will be one bottle, then anothet, then another , then six months later. God forbid
Mia83.. I totally related to your post about sobriety not being a punishment. I use to think it was because I still wanted to drink like a normal person. I battled to be normal for years. But now I accept that I am an addict and drinking makes my life unmanageable. No whatsifs or maybes with it.. I see sobriety as an absolute blessing now
Have a safe and sober friday
Old 02-19-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CloudStrife View Post
Just checking in. Wanted to say good job to my fellow februarians!
Two weeks here! Physically I'm feeling great (ran 9 miles yesterday) but mentally things are a bit of a roller coaster- which I know will be the case for quite some time.
I'm working on cultivating patience (it will take time to get where i want to be), wisdom (learning about addiction, meeting others, reading on SR), and kindness (towards myself and others).
Hope everyone has a relaxing, sober weekend!
Cludstrife this is my next move..to quit the sugar and start running the cravings away
Old 02-19-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Day 25 and I am feeling so damn good!!! Life is good. Really is. Never thought I would say that. Nearly four weeks ago I was depressed, in despair and not caring if my car crashed into a tree. I feel I am getting my joy for life back…
Thanks for sharing this. I've had extended sobriety and "know" things don't stay as bad as they are in the first several weeks but it's easy to fall into thinking this isn't worth going through. It helps knowing others just recently broke through that wall of dispair.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camryn474 View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I've had extended sobriety and "know" things don't stay as bad as they are in the first several weeks but it's easy to fall into thinking this isn't worth going through. It helps knowing others just recently broke through that wall of dispair.
Camryn474 Its so is worth battling the cravings and the emotional ups and downs. I feel much stronger and mentally clearer. I don't miss my self hatred and self loathing whatsoever. I really hope I can stick with this
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Life is good. Really is. Never thought I would say that. Nearly four weeks ago I was depressed, in despair and not caring if my car crashed into a tree. I feel I am getting my joy for life back…
knb - This is so awesome to read. I feel the same! For me, when I am drinking, everything is a chore, just something to be gotten through - even fun stuff like vacations felt more like just something to check off a list, and I was so down all the time, walking around with an impending sense of doom, waiting for that other shoe to drop, and feeling very "wah wah, poor me" about every little thing. I couldn't see it though. Now I can. I look around and see so much in my life to be grateful for! I actually enjoy and look forward to doing things that used to feel like just so much work. It feels really good.

I love seeing everyone's sober days climbing, keep at it everyone!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

SleepyDots and knb02 - thank you for your positive and uplifting posts! It really helps to read that there is light at the end of the tunnel. This first week has been hard, but I am glad I have stuck with it so far. It is worth it to not feel like a tired zombie every day and I am enjoying my little ones much more. That is the best benefit of all