Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-18-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Some great posts this morning, thank you everyone! Day 5 today and it feels good. AV was pretty quiet last night, but then all of a sudden i became very irritable and was in a bad mood. Just like that. Ugh. Like many of you have said, I think it's just going to take time for our minds and bodies to adjust to new habits. All I know is I don't ever want to go back to Day 1.

Keep going strong everyone! Let's keep this thread busy over the weekend.

AppleKat, PeacefulRain and FABL, hope you all check in soon?!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amazingjoy View Post
Happy Thursday OldSkoolFool!

It occurred to me this morning...I really like being able to look my family in the face in the morning without any shame and not try to hide my face with my long hair and avoiding eye contact hoping they cannot seeing how puffy I am!
I always thought the same way. I felt like my eyes were a dead giveaway. I wear contacts so thought I could use that as an excuse, but it's amazing how different they look when I'm not hungover. I need to make a list of things I DON'T miss about drinking/hangovers.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
Morning! Got a great night sleep last night, woke up feeling good. It almost feels weird. I'm so used to waking up, head throbbing and in a fog all day and feeling tired and nauseaus. My AV is saying, Something wrong! No AV, it's so right.

Day 6. It's gonna take some time, but I can get used to this.
So, so true. Thanks for the reminder bluedog and way to go on 6 days.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Good morning. Day 15
Old 02-18-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Day 4 is done. Must have been the worst one so far. Upset stomach, headache from hell feels like i am getting the flu. Went to bed for 3 hrs and seem to feel a bit better.

Ate sumething now took some painkillers and in for 10 hrs of sleep. Hope tomorrow i feel better as me and my wife is going camping.

Well done to everyone keep up the good work.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hang in there Freedom, it'll get better.

Day 3 is done. I feel brilliant! Going to meetings regularly is doing me the world of good. I have withdrawal symptoms but not finding them that bad this time around, I was feeling a lot worse after my last few binges. I bought my dinner on my way home today and paused at a can of pre-mixed vodka cranberry... and then carried on walking. Not. Worth. It.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Day 12.

Toughest day yet. Working from home. Snowstorm. AV is screaming at me.

So I locked my keys in my car. Hubs has the spare.

Do what you gotta do.

Happy Thursday!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emandm View Post
Day 12.

Do what you gotta do.

Happy Thursday!

Good stuff! Like you said, do what you've got to do.

Snow can be a pain or it can be beautiful depending on how you look at it.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Emandm -- Smart choice getting rid of the keys. Great job! Hang close to here. We're here to help all we can.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emandm View Post
Day 12.

Do what you gotta do.

Happy Thursday!
Wow, great job!! You are right - we have to do whatever it takes to get through those AV attacks. You will be so grateful tomorrow!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Leaving in few minutes to go to an AA meeting. Have mixed thoughts about it, but it can't hurt right now, right?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Leaving in few minutes to go to an AA meeting. Have mixed thoughts about it, but it can't hurt right now, right?
Have you been to a meeting before?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Do it Ladybug! Make that meeting your "whatever it takes" for today.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Sweet 16

crisis at work yesterday and today, I am running on all cylinders. I could not have handled this if I was hungover or absent. Again, I'm grateful to all of you.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camryn474 View Post
I've gotten back up to a week sober today. I'm having a hard time accepting being sober though. I keep going back and forth as to whether I really want sobriety more than I want to drink. Thoughts of drinking are pretty constant in my mind. I keep finding myself planning how I'm going to drink around my obligations. I keep thinking that my next drink will be the one that makes the difference, that will make me happy. I think the biggest thing is I'm just not convinced sobriety is going to make me happy. Even in my extended periods of sobriety I only had very fleeting bouts of contentment. I just figure if I'm going to be miserable, I might as well drink because at least then I have a reason to be miserable and know what to expect. Any perspective or encouragement would be super appreciated. I'm in a bit of a dark place.
Congrats on one week sober!! I know exactly how you feel about going back and forth and trying to plan the next drink, I've done it for so many years its hard not to. Don't give in to this, its your AV talking! Drinking won't make any of us happy. Think about all the times alcohol has made you feel miserable. Is it worth it? And I don't think that being sober will make any of us magically happy. But I do think that at least we have a chance to find some peace and happiness if we are sober. Give it some time, it will get better one day at a time. Try to stay as busy as you can, make new good habits. Maybe try exercising, writing, reading, etc. I'm trying everything I can to keep busy and its helped so far. Keep reading and posting on here, we can all help each other. Hope you have a good day! Hugs!!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

For some reason I can't figure out how to post a YouTube link. But for anyone interested, I found an awesome song this morning.

Just as I am, by Brantley Gilbert.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oroszlan View Post
Anyone else finding themselves worried about future events and relationships with friends? I know it is all part of my AV but it really gets me anxious. I just keep questioning how I will have fun and enjoy things without drinking?
This article addresses some of your concerns and may help:

Am I Going to be Miserable if I Quit Drinking and Doing Drugs, and Will My Life Ever be Fun Again? - Spiritual River
Old 02-18-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I'm a little worried. There's some things coming up where I'll get together with friends where drinking is mandatory. I'm going to have to be extra vigilant, because I am NEVER going back to what I was.
IMO, you should strongly consider skipping the events OOTT. I'm in the process of cancelling any event, trip, party etc that would jeopardize my sobriety. I've been down this rode before and I've found it's just too difficult trying to pass on a beer or a drink when I'm around other people drinking and partying it up.

In the future, I'll be able to handle being around drinkers and drinking events, but for the next few months I'm staying away. I owe it to myself.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Keep it sober.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Good article, Time2rise, thanks for posting.