Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Ya knb I don't know why I'm not a daily craver but once I do have one there's a good chance I'll be drinking non stop for a few days. Definitely not healthy.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Making pig out supper !
Watching Star Trek playing with the kids.
Glad I'm not drinking today.
My wife asked me not to drink anymore. Says she used to talk to her daddy all the time and that's gone for her, last month with his passing. Gotta shape up if I can.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hi ya cute! Good to see you back. Weve got to quit meeting like this!LOL!
Really tho, great to have u in class. See a few familiar faces .

Hi Cococo. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Good job J L. And everyone else.

Karen, glad u r going to a meeting, and praying. Prayer does bring me comfort.

Got to go now, checking back later. This day is almost over, and I did it sober. One day at a time...
Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Just stopping by to encourage you all in this thread. I see some names I remember from the middle of last year when I joined here - now I'm in the January 2016 class, my fourth since joining, but I'm on Day 31 and am so thankful to be at that point. I have no interest at all in returning to old habits. Persevere, each of you, it is so worth it.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Njdellis - You must be on day 18 or 19 by now?

I know you said that day 17 was youre hardest day so far and that you got very close to buying alcohol.

How are things now?

You and I know that if you start drinking again then you will have MORE trouble dealing with stress than whilst your sober. Its ALWAYS better and easier to deal with stress whilst sober, NOT the other way round! Please remember that.

I hope your boyfriend issue is resolved, if not, you must really try to not let it drag you off your path. Either forget the issue and move on, or resolve it quickly. I truly believe that it helps if we can really minimise any dramas in our lives the best we can in our first 6 months of recovery.

I am trying to avoid life dramas as much as possible.
Today is Day 18. I'm doing better today. I got to see my counselor this morning and we had a great talk. Me and my boyfriend have a good relationship but I've put him through a lot because of my drinking. He says he's put it behind him but sometimes I think that he uses it as a reason to be angry at me. Almost like he wants me to know how it feels. One of my biggest problems is that I worry about things and I tend to dwell on them. I'm so used to drinking my worries away. But the truth is it never helps it only makes me forget for awhile and I always feel worse after. My counselor said I need to start controlling my thinking. But that's hard to do!
Old 02-22-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

njdellis, I hear you about controlling our thinking. I believe that our thinking is also habitual and is by far one of the hardest habits to change! I'm working on challenging my thinking too.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

I spoke to my sponsor about how I'm starting to feel anxious again without drink. She told me to remember that anxiety is just a feeling and feeling never killed anyone.

Caramel - Thanks for checking in on our class!

njdellis - You're right, drinking makes worry and anxiety worse! 1) You probably cause more problems while drunk. 2) It totally messes with the levels of serotonin in your brain, so once it wears off you feel even worse than before. I was self medicating anxiety and the first thing the doctors drilled into me was this fact.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
I highly recommend the Samoas. I think they are called Carmel Delights in some parts of the country. When I was a girl scout it was hard not to eat up my inventory

Absolutely killed any thoughts of wine today with the sugar overload!
Strong call on the Samoas.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

I didn't get to go to my meeting. It starts at 5:30 and I didn't get out of work until 20 after. I did make it home without a drink though! Samoas sound wonderful! I'm drinking grapefruit juice and eating mac and cheese. Going to work on my calendar for work. Grateful to be sober and not really wanting a drink. It's there, but not very loud. Thanks to all of you! I have to go to the grocery store. I may look for something samoaish.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
I spoke to my sponsor about how I'm starting to feel anxious again without drink. She told me to remember that anxiety is just a feeling and feeling never killed anyone.

Caramel - Thanks for checking in on our class!

njdellis - You're right, drinking makes worry and anxiety worse! 1) You probably cause more problems while drunk. 2) It totally messes with the levels of serotonin in your brain, so once it wears off you feel even worse than before. I was self medicating anxiety and the first thing the doctors drilled into me was this fact.
I killed my anxiety with drinking too. It's interesting to ride it out without it. It has lessened a lot, but still there sometimes. But you're right, a feeling won't kill us. Drinking will though.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

That's a good reminder that a feeling won't kill us. I tend to want to reach for a drink to deal with feelings and anxiety. Thanks
Old 02-22-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

No cravings here. Goulash was a nice hearty dinner choice here.

No Girl Scout cookies in our house yet. Boo. Chocolate ice cream later!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

I also found a guided meditation audio for addiction that I'm going to promise myself I will scoot away on my own for those 5 minutes and listen to it with headphones, this Friday when the cravings will first hit. Even if I have to lock myself in my bathroom.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Apple that's a good idea.
Thank you for giving me hope !
Pretty down today. Going to bed asap
Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Apple - youre on the right track, eating well and looking after your mind. body and soul. We only have 1 life and body (that's my belief) so we need to look after it.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

JL2014 - have a good sleep, hopefully you feel better tomorrow after a good sleep.

I had another 'lightbulb' moment today. I could be wrong, but when an alcoholic starts drinking again its usually always when theyre down. Not always, usually always. Well, that's what I read on here anyways.

One minute a February team member very quickly pops in here and very briefly says theyre down, then they log off, then we don't hear from them for 2 days+, then when we hear from them next they tell us they slipped.

I think its most important to offer help and support to a fellow team member if/when we pick up on this, and keep them posting. Conversely, its also equally important that if youre ever feeling down, that you let your fellow team members know, reach out to them.

If youre feeling down JL, please talk to us about it by posting in here, maybe we can help, maybe we can suggest something.

Are you doing some exercise? I know I keep banging on about in here, but it does lift ones mood. And getting a good sleep.

I think the most important things in my early recovery are going to be sleep, eating well, multivitamin, staying well dehydrated, exercise and ignore/avoid/remove drama (as best I can anyway).
Old 02-22-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, Cococo. I'll try to do my best to do my part.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys - join us here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

D