Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by M1A1 View Post
Slipped up tonight after a tough 8 hour visit with my dad who has been hospitalized for the last 7 months. Only had one drink but I feel Stupid for it. Need to just let go of the crutch. Grabbing a bottle of water and headed for bed.
Lean on me, brotha ... and let me lean on you.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Note to self....mowing the lawn during a heatwave is not very smart!
Love you guys...keep posting xxx
Do it early in the morning, dear, the coolest time of day.

And -- water your lawn (if you do that at all) after sundown. There's less evaporation, meaning that more gets into the soil, and the water doesn't refract sunlight in a harmful manner on the grass or your bushes.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Lean on me, brotha ... and let me lean on you.
I thought I was up to the challenge to quit but I keep making excuses.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by M1A1 View Post
I thought I was up to the challenge to quit but I keep making excuses.
Do you think you're alone? We all tell ourselves what we want to hear. That's not just part of our addiction, that's part of the human condition.

In that sense, addiction helps us be clearer about who we are as people, because when we address our faults upon the road to recovery, we clean up messes that sober folks don't stop to think about.

Let's stop making excuses, you and me. Let's do this. C'mon.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Hi my lovelies- I’m on my half hour lunch break at work so can’t post much! I used to browse facebook during lunch but this seems much healthier!!! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Friday- I am trying to keep a positive attitude as weekends can be tough! I’m making lots of plans to stay busy and focused. Keeping this AV away this time
Odelle- Thanks so much for your kind words.. Hope you’r e having a great day and staying strong x x Still in awe that you are giving up so much at once.. You’re amazing !! 
Pedro- 29 days is AMAZING! Almost a month-WOW!! I love our class of January and how supportive we all are! Hope your day is great too!
Penguin-Sorry for the loss of your little fur baby. Glad you chose to NOT drink. You wouldn’t feel any better-just numb for a while with regret later.. Sending hugs
SH- Next time maybe squeeze in that nap too!!! I’m not a napper but I might add it to my new to do list as part of my self-care plan  Enjoy your housecleaning!! Xx HAHA Have to laugh about the dance lessons-bet your Hubby was THRILLED!! LOL 
MEsober- Great news. You must feel very proud x
Thumpa- I’m just going to send you more love with extra hugs. Loving your attitude. You’ve got this one!! Learning from our mistakes and slips gets us stronger. I’m here with you x
Loopylou- Huge Congrats for your 1 month- At least you are prepared for your AV. Make plans early and stay strong. Lime and soda sounds delicious!! Think I might get some myself tonight!! Cheers 
Carrie- This is one hell of a roller-coaster emotionally for lots of us.. Just be prepared for the ups and the sudden downs at times. Well done on getting through dinner without a drink.. Mexican is my fave- and I also used to love the tequila shots that went with it  Day 5 is Fantastic!!
Steve- I’ve already looked over my finances and bank statements for the last 19 days.. I was spending $200 a week on wine and vodka… That’s just the drinks for home… I really hope I put the spare money to good use..how sickening to think of what we have wasted just pickling our livers!!!!
TigerLili- I used to literally sneak the bottles into the recycling at midnight one by one, almost clambering into the bin so no one would hear! Haha Then trying to roll my bin out to the verge-some weeks I could barely move it!! I’m sure the Garbage men know all the houses who like their booze!! 
Strongbird- It’s good to think of all the positives. It keeps us going while we wallow in our grief for missing the alcohol. I made a list this morning of reasons to stay sober. There’s quite a few items on there!!!
Dee- I “dropped” my Mums pet rat last year while I was drunk …. Felt sick about it-still do. The poor thing was old and died a day later. Never owned up to it. Maybe one day I will…
M1A!- One slip doesn’t have to be a full relapse. Sorry you’re having a hard time. Keep going…
Mish- You’re bloody brave! I’m sitting in an A/C office and still melting! Lol – I must admit I have a guy who mows and weeds my lawns but I keep forgetting to put the retic on a timer so my lawn is pretty thirsty!! Lol… Might address that one this weekend  Hope you’re well hun x
Sorry if I've missed anyone- Back to work now… Another 3.5 hours to go then hometime…. Thinking about you all-We CAN DO THIS HUGS
Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
GramParsons

Hello all..Starting day Six here...Quit after my little girls second birthday... Wanna be around to see her grow up...And saving alot of cash for better things... Sick of alka seltzers and Two energy drinks just to survive the day....
Old 01-28-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GramParsons View Post
Hello all..Starting day Six here...Quit after my little girls second birthday... Wanna be around to see her grow up...And saving alot of cash for better things... Sick of alka seltzers and Two energy drinks just to survive the day....
I found that the powerade/gatorade type drinks helped me in my first few days x
Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Closing day 12!! It's been fast and busy and I'm so happy to have a clear head. I hope i can continue this. One day at a time helps so much!! I'm playing the tape ever day. Reminding myself how terrible I felt when I was drinking. I don't even like being drunk!! Feeling freer than the last few times I've tried to quit. Love to all of you out there!!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

how do I join these classes?

I'm not sure how these classes work and how to find them . I clicked on a link provided to me in a post I made on the Newcomers forum I believe...can anyone explain this class and how it works?
thanks so much...
Old 01-28-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

A little nudge from the HP?

20 days into my second go at sobriety. First time I had sixteen months. Blew it because I thought I had everything under control. What an illusion. Anyway, just wanted to share that I was truly tempted for the first time tonight to get stoned (my drug of choice is alcohol, but my partner smokes weed and it's been readily available) when I got home from work. Suddenly, a friend with whom I am rarely in contact texted me and was rather insistent about going out to dinner. I had planned to blow it off again tonight and get stoned, eat mac and cheese, and listen to depressing records. She basically forced me to go out and have Thai food with her. The conversation, food, laughter was a beautiful, miraculous distraction. A little nudge from the HP of my understanding? I feel much better now. I was going to call out to work tomorrow but she encouraged me not to. I would go to a meeting but the next one in my area isn't 'til midnight and I should really be getting to bed. I figured sharing here was appropriate and would be beneficial to myself and maybe another person struggling tonight.

I never thought I'd be counting days again. But, I guess it's just part of my story.

xo
Old 01-28-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Your love for your daughter is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

I just need to share this. I was outside shoveling snow and our lovely neighbours, an elderly couple who I often exchange veggies with in the summer, just gave me a can of hot sake for working so hard! Luckily my husband is home so I just gave it to him. Of course, I couldn't refuse it. Just goes to show that alcohol can appear at ANY time. Makes me what I would have done if he wasn't home.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Welcome, Precious64.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
TigerLili- I used to literally sneak the bottles into the recycling at midnight one by one, almost clambering into the bin so no one would hear! Haha Then trying to roll my bin out to the verge-some weeks I could barely move it!! I’m sure the Garbage men know all the houses who like their booze!! 
Shameful when your trashmen wake you up from a bender with the clanking of your own bottles going aboard the truck, eh?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post

Loopylou, first social outings can be tough. Is your hubby supportive of your decision to not drink? If so, stick with the soda and lime and you should be fine. Just don’t let the AV take over when you get home!
Thanks Odelle, yes hubby is supportive which is a huge help 😊
Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Hiya Gram, welcome to the club here.

Fellow musician here, too.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome precious

This is a support group for anyone trying to quit in January 2016.
By posting, you've already joined us

Post in here whenever you need help or you think you can help someone else

Welcome back M1A1 and welcome to anyone else I missed...I was working off my laptop a good deal of the day and it's not as user friendly for me

D
Old 01-29-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

I'm considering quitting my job and leaving this hellhole.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Thought I would check in being Friday night when my AV usually goes mad!! I'm doing ok. Did grocery shopping and walked straight past the bottle shop without a second glance. Just planning on watching a movie tonight with a decaf cappuccino then an early night.. I've been getting up earlier and feeling so much more organised, so that's a positive change.
Weekends are always tough in early sobriety so I'm going to make a list of things that the boys and I can do this weekend. Not big things but small, meaningful things that we can do as a Family.I live across the road from the beach so I need to start enjoying a beach walk with my puppy again.. It's been so long since I did that. The clarity I'm feeling right now is amazing and I'm not even 3 weeks in.
Hope you all have plans in place for the weekend and let's get through this day by day X
Old 01-29-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarrieBradshaw View Post
I made it through dinner at the Mexican restaurant without ordering a drink! Excited to wake up on day 5 tomorrow!!!
Carrie, that is a huge accomplishment! Way to go and have a great day 6!