Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-30-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

You guys are wonderful and I love you to the moon and back for all of your unconditional support. Looking forward our journey together.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loopylou69 View Post
Mish, I slipped up last night too. Went out for dinner with hubby and another couple and despite promising myself I would stick with lime and soda I drank two glasses of wine. The old me would have done the whole bottle plus been sneaking nips from a vodka bottle in my handbag and have continued drinking when I got home. So I'm not beating myself up about it. I need to work on my plan though because I know from past experience it's all too easy to slip back into the 'I can handle a couple now and again' trap and before I know it I'm back to drinking in secret every day. Sigh...
Aww loopy- good on you for not sinking that whole bottle or the secret vodka! I was also a secret vodka in the handbag girl towards the end.. 2 bottles of wine a night then shots here and there through the day at work, home or anywhere.... Nasty spiral ..
We need you to stay with us in January too, so let's get back on the wagon and hopefully there will be no more day 1's again for you either xx
Old 01-30-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
You guys are wonderful and I love you to the moon and back for all of your unconditional support. Looking forward our journey together.
I always tell my boys that I love them to the moon and back!!! Aww - we love you too Hun... Now stay away from the booze!!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Its very hard to sit with the discomfort of not drinking when a drink would fix it. For five minutes at least. Sigh.
Tigerlili- drinking won't fix anything... You know this.. I'm glad you posted before drinking.... You will feel worse if you drank now... 2 weeks is in sight now!!! You can do it Hun xx
Old 01-30-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

I'm finishing up day 28, thoughts of being able to moderate in the future have been creeping in this week but I keep playing that tape forward! The massively strong cake cravings have finally stopped which is good as I was eating an awful lot of cake for a while there!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Loopy and Mish

TL, I'd rather the short term discomfort of not drinking over the long term discomfort of knowing I drank again tomorrow.

You've been here before - and you know the AV lies, always.

D
Old 01-30-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Sorry Mish and Loopylou that you had a slip. Thank you for coming on here and posting. My husband and I have just been invited out to a live show by an old friend that we haven't seen for ages. Hubby is in the shower trying to sober up, but hasn't decided yet. I'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty sure I will be ok but it's a big temptation this early on. However, it's pretty tough at home tonight so maybe a distraction might be good.
Thanks everyone for their great advice. We are all going through the same issues! I'm keeping strong!
Old 01-30-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Damn it, I just lost a long reply. Going to start copying everything I type just in case!!

Mish- Glad you are still with us. What could you do differently next time to avoid taking that first drink? Do you have the SR phone app? Could you commit to coming here first, before taking that drink so we can talk you down? That worked for me a while back and I have promised myself I will do that anytime I am even close to drinking. Please rethink your plan so you can do this because you CAN do this- do you believe that?

Loopy- That must have been a very tempting situation to be in. Is there any way you can avoid dinners like that until you have a grasp on your sobriety? How would your partner feel about that? So glad it's the last day of January and you are still in our wonderful group!

Good morning everyone! It's lovely to see all the milestones being reached and how proud we all are of each other and ourselves as we do this. Getting sober will probably be the hardest thing any of us will ever do but it's so damn worth it, each and every day.

My AV has been coming out daily which is both annoying and stressful but at
least I am able to shut it up by playing the tape and reminding myself of how I will feel once that buzz wears off. I also don't want to have to hide bottles from DH, or be disappointed in myself and I certainly cannot deal with a hangover. Not to mention I don't want to leave this group!

Well, in the time it took to re write all of this DS is up and DH is trying to have a conversation about the taxes

Time to go. Wishing you all a beautiful Saturday. Hugs to all of you!

Quote of the day:

Old 01-30-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Mav- last time I attempted to quit the alcohol, I had told work colleagues and Family that I was trying to lose weight and not drinking for now. As I did start to lose weight, they started badgering me to just have one.. It's a treat, you're so boring now etc.....I felt cornered.
This time I've told people I'm not drinking any more. The end. I offer no explanation (besides close Family) but unless you're comfortable sharing your reasons- it's not their business and I think it adds pressure. Hope you come up with a plan as you've done so well so far.. Congratulations on day 29!! Nice work!!!
Thanks. Had a good one this morning... A friend asked if i was dry, and i said yes, he asked if it was until end of Jan or would I keep it going, I said keep it going. Nothing else, moved on. Felt good.

I'm getting a new positive feeling at the moment... Up until now when I've thought about drinking it was always seemed a massive risk but wouldn't be the end of the world. But now I think "yeah I'd love a drink... But I'd hate to lose my 29 days!"

So I'm clinging on to that!

Hope everyone has a great sober Saturday.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

It's Sat. Morning where I am. While the coffee was brewing I checked Facebook. I think I've developed a talent over the years to recognize which of my friends posted while drunk. I used to do it-I know the signs and can now read fluent drunk posting. One friend (more of an acquaintance) posted a very mean, nasty message trashing someone he knew. When I see these now, it reassures me that I'm on the right path. In the past, during sober phases, those posts would give me a holier than thou mind set and shortly after I'd relapse (Karma). This morning, that didn't happen. After I read his post, I was just greatful I wasn't going through every post, private FB message, or phone text to see what I needed to delete or apologize for.
This morning was different-I felt no judgement...none. The thought that came to me was that he has his business, I have my business and his business is not my business and my business is not his. I felt a sense of peace when I realized that my goal (especially now) is just to worry about my business (get sober and stay that way) and no one else's.
I hope that made sense.

Last edited by KDBnSLC; 01-30-2016 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-30-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Morning all - day 26 here. Breaking new sobriety records every day. I can't believe it will be a month next week. Didn't think that was possible for a drinker like me.

Not going to lie - have been really struggling with the AV this past week. Seems to be pretty constant. Heck, I woke up this morning wanting to go buy a few bottles of champs. I'm not going to - but really wish it would shut up.

No word on interviews yet. Eating is still out of control. Weight gain is just mind boggling.

Sigh. I'm in a mood today I guess.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Last night: my vacuum cleaner broke, my daughters didn't come home, the job that's gone bad got worse, we're selling the family farm. I was home alone. I cried. There was a bottle of wine in the frig. I drank it.

HALT...I had all of it but didn't do the right exercises. I know God has my back and there is no reason for self pity.

So very sad to say I'm back to day one. I really want this one to stick. I want January to be my month and I've run out of do-overs for that to happen.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Yes, KDB, that did make sense and what a great attitude!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

I'm sorry for those of you who have slipped. But it's still January - dust yourself off and make this your month still!

I got a good night's sleep. I am having very vivid dreams - not drinking dreams, not nightmares, it's just that my subconscious is in overdrive. It's noteworthy but not negative.

I weighed in this morning. Now, I'm also doing Weight Watchers, so this isn't exclusively attributable to no alcohol, but on Day 12, I'm down 7.5 lbs. Woohoo!!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

32 days in. I had a really tough time yesterday because my husband had the day off and we usually in the past would go out and do a little gambling and drinking to pass the time. It was our little get away so we both struggled and even entertained the idea of going out. But in the back of my mind i kept thinking of how crappy i would feel tomorrow if i did that. So i made us a big chicken salad and had a cold LaCrox watched some tv and before you know it we were both talking about how glad we were that we stayed home. =D
Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Good Morning!! Today marks 30 days for me, and for many others in this class. Congratulations to all hitting a milestone, I am looking forward to continuing with all of you into February.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Slipped up today. :-(
Have stopped it now but slipped up all the same.
Day 1 tomorrow...last day of January. Hope you guys don't mind me staying in the January class. I will be one day sober heading into February.
I've slipped up a few times this month and you know what....I'm right onto it soon after I drink. In the past it would turn into a bender and months would go by but that doesn't seem to be happening now. I think the more I read my AA books the more my Higher Power is stepping in really questioning my motivations and my AV doesn't have a chance when my HP steps in. All I have to do now is get to the point where I don't cave into my AV at all. Please let tomorrow be my last Day 1 and I get to stay in this class with all of you wonderful people.
Mish, I have joined a few classes, and I will sometimes check in with the people in that group. Stick with this class and join February as well, it helps to have people who know you, as well as people starting out/over with you.

Hope your day one goes well.

❤️Delilah
Old 01-30-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Day 20 staying soooo busy. On my last weekend I carved 7 bears then had a root canal then woke up and made 4 more before work. Also stopped by sundail bridge with my kid and parents and walked around for a while. It was great to be somewhere sober hanging with him I would have def had a pint in my pocket slinking around somewhere. Hanging with him is different. I was always there but we have seemed to be having more fun in the last few weeks. The house is cleaner everything is cleaner I'm just wondering when this high anxiety will end taking hydroxyzine when I feel like I'm gonna have a panic attack and been sleeping not so well some nights five or 6 hr's and I just can't sleep anymore them I'm nodding out at times at work and I get home super anxious and ready to go. Just all over the places... Saw a fb post that said in four seconds I can go from everything is wonderful life is good to i want to stab everyone on this planet. Lol mostly I'm on the more cheerfull side and am making an effort to stay there. Trying to stay focused on anything except drinking. The an abuse sure does help me... Just to say drinking will make you sick drinking will make you sick and having that be a fact is really what I personally needed I've thought about just taking a shot to get that warm feeling but I know I can't or I'll blow chunks. Upside too everything is clearer head and tons of anxious energy to get things done and an easier time playing with my kid. And I'm getting along with everyone. My mom is looking at me like I'm not a lost case that is nice. Jenn is working on her drinking too and we are getting along well. Her Dr gave her permission to drink a 16 oz a day and said I shouldn't have quit like I did because its dangerous but im kinda irritated at that she gets a drink but I know everyone gotta go bout things their own way. So glad she is on board I was so scared we were going to have to separate to work on ourselves. No pointless arguments in twenty days wither. think there is a link? OK put some of it out there going to walk to the store and grab some food have a wonderful day all keep on keepin on
Old 01-30-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NZK9Lady View Post
I'm finishing up day 28, thoughts of being able to moderate in the future have been creeping in this week but I keep playing that tape forward! The massively strong cake cravings have finally stopped which is good as I was eating an awful lot of cake for a while there!
You are smart to play the tape forward, in the past I have given into those thoughts and found myself back into old habits quickly. Was the cake chocolate??:-)
Old 01-30-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Howdy, y'all!

I know for a lot of you, today is 30 days, so I just wanted to give you a BIG CONGRATULATIONS!

Keep it going!