Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

JL, I’m sorry that yesterday’s stress got to you; it must have been difficult for you and your wife. Today is a new day and a new start. I’m glad you are part of our group!

Kalimera Sunflower! Enjoy your day of peace and quiet!

Thump, I love, love, love nachos, too much in fact. They were my go to meal following a bottle of vino. I can make them blindfolded! Sigh, they too are off the table until I get to my ideal weight.

Thank you Niki for sharing your struggles with your cats, like children, they can get on your nerves at times!

I’m happy to see everyone is up for the February challenge, together we can do this!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  

JSC, my husband used to get horrible nose bleeds. He had the vessels cauterized and that took care of the issue. My son used to get them when he was younger, but they stopped when he was in his early 20s. Ask your doctor what options are available to you.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
A new month, a new thread and a newish me. Huge congratulations to everyone that graduated! We may be only on day 1 to 31 but January was the month we wanted to start living again.
I'm on day 8 now. Nic, the cleaning bug finally hit me yesterday. And did I clean! It felt so good to accomplish something meaningful on the weekend for a change. I did have to force myself to do things but I found that I actually finished the job as opposed to my cleaning when I was drunk. The Vacuum cleaner would be in the middle of the floor, sponges still in the bucket, etc.
I also had the drinking dream last night. A martini of all things. I've never had one in my life! The interesting fact was that whilst still in the dream I told myself that I could drink only once a week. But then me (another me) came over and explained, in a lot of detail actually, that I couldn't drink at all. Very strange, but interesting that my subconscious is starting to REALLY get what I am supposed to do.
It is still very early days. My biggest struggle was when I started heading towards 30 days. I was feeling good with myself and the AV whispered that you've done a month so you can do it again. That was 6 months ago.
I will make it through another sober day. Hope everyone enjoys their day/night. Keep yourself busy and enjoy the little things sobriety brings. Take care.
Three years ago in January I hit the same self-confident 30 days and celebrated with -- A Drink! Duh. So much better this time around because I have a PLAN.

Congrats on Day 8 --something to be proud of and doesn't it feel GOOD to Clean?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  

Slipped up again this weekend. Not handling my dads terminal illness very well. I sit with him 5 days a week helping take care of him and my sister takes the weekends. Drank all weekend. Back to the beginning.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 505 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Wife missing her dad last night. Major meltdown.
I drank, did all the laundry( a LOT), and cleaned the house while she sat outside and cried. It was really hard to deal with, and drinking made it no better. Just made me numb to where I could struggle through stuff that had to be done regardless .
I let myself down
Grief meltdowns take such a toll :-( So sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with your wife and with you as you both travel this journey. It's good that you recognized drinking didn't help you or your wife. She needs you now more than ever. I second everyone who encouraged you to post here before that 1st drink. We are here for you!

Honestly I don't know how my husband dealt with my many meltdowns after my sister and mother died. But he did and sometimes all I needed was a hug and a kind word. The rest I had to work my own way through and in my own time. In retrospect my path would have been much more sane had I been sober -- but water under the bridge and the grief now is manageable because I am Sober. You can do this JL!!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 506 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by M1A1 View Post
Slipped up again this weekend. Not handling my dads terminal illness very well. I sit with him 5 days a week helping take care of him and my sister takes the weekends. Drank all weekend. Back to the beginning.
I'm so sorry you have to go through this M1A1 - Watching a loved one die, especially as a caretaker is so hard. I drank like a fish when my sister and mother were dying and only now do I realize I should have been kinder to myself by not drinking, taking better care of me and honoring who they were and how lucky I was to have them in my life, much much sooner than I did.

Glad you are back and here with us. We care!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 507 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by M1A1 View Post
I know that's rugged duty. Climb back aboard, bud -- Day One is better than Day Zero.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 508 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
I think you should send me some of those nachos to Australia!! They look and sound gorgeous!! Yum!!! Very jealous!!!
The days can be so up and down can't they? I'm drinking much more caffeine than I ever did before, and also sometimes feel exhausted suddenly. My sponsor told me that it's my body healing and to embrace it. Enjoy the rest of your day/ night Thumpa xx
I don't think they'd be very fresh by the time they got there, ma'am.

As for the bout of tiredness, I'd much rather have ups-and-down with my body than with my emotions. I am so done with the emotional roller coaster.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 509 (permalink)  

Talked to my wife on the phone. I hate being helpless. Now she wants to quit college, refuses to goto grief counselling of any kind. I can't do everything. House, kids, damn. I feel like I have no choice but to spend the rest of my days slowly pickling my liver, or just go off and be a nut.
I'd love to be able t get on here with good news. Waiting in line to pick up my 7 yr old from school. 2 yr olds in the back seat whining and kicking the seat.
80 yr old mother w dementia calling my phone over and over, yelling incoherently.

Stop the world. I want off.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 510 (permalink)  

Sorry for whining.
Having a rough time. I'll quit typing now
Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 511 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Talked to my wife on the phone. I hate being helpless. Now she wants to quit college, refuses to goto grief counselling of any kind. I can't do everything. House, kids, damn. I feel like I have no choice but to spend the rest of my days slowly pickling my liver, or just go off and be a nut.
I'd love to be able t get on here with good news. Waiting in line to pick up my 7 yr old from school. 2 yr olds in the back seat whining and kicking the seat.
80 yr old mother w dementia calling my phone over and over, yelling incoherently.

Stop the world. I want off.
I'm so sorry JL, sounds like a lot to be dealing with at once. Do you have any friends or family nearby that can help you? Can you hire a "mother's helper" for the evenings? Just to help with the kids or with meals? Anything to lower your stress right now would be beneficial. My thoughts are with you, you will get through this tough time.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 512 (permalink)  

(((((JL)))))) Is there a possibility you can hire someone to do the laundry? A teenager looking for a little spending money perhaps. It does seem household chores over the weekends are hand in hand with drinking for you. Everyone has a different trigger for sure, so maybe a reprieve from that trigger will help you both while your wife is grieving.

I was pretty nonfunctional after my dad died and did not manage to keep up with things for awhile.

Never surrender! Gotta get through that weekend barrier my friend.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 513 (permalink)  

Hey, Sunflower and I had same idea at same time So is it worth a shot JL?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 514 (permalink)  

We live out away from town. No helpers handy. Nix on family. Her family don't do their own laundry most of the time ! Lol. Just me.
I'm just tired. I'll get over it I guess.
Thank y'all for just listening to my junk.
Tired of the full plate.
Ready for a empty plate for a while.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 515 (permalink)  

Av is very loud today. I need to go to the store and I need the AV to stop talking. I can't numb my feelings, it's never going to help. Ugh, tough tough day. Not really cravings, mostly fear and wanting to numb the waves of panic...
Old 02-01-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 516 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Av is very loud today. I need to go to the store and I need the AV to stop talking. I can't numb my feelings, it's never going to help. Ugh, tough tough day. Not really cravings, mostly fear and wanting to numb the waves of panic...
Sorry Patricia. Have you tried any breathing techniques for when the fear and panic sets in? My therapist thought me some good ones that truly work. Let me know if you want me to explain them. Hope you feel better this evening.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 517 (permalink)  

Hang in there, JL, and vent away. We're here for you.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 518 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Play the tape through ....
Old 02-01-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 519 (permalink)  

Special thoughts for M1A1, JL2014, patricia68 and anyone else going through hard times.
We really are here for you
Me, I'm on Day 10, very low in mood, motivation and energy but not remotely interested in sabotaging the progress back to health that must still be happening.
Glad to be here
Old 02-01-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 520 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-5-a.html

D