Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
I slipped last night ... Lots of personal issues going on and I faltered. Get my eye back on the ball, and we're back to Day One now. I'll be going to a meeting tonight ... getting back on the horse and giving her some spur.
Lots and lots of hugs to you Thump. Hope you aren't beating yourself up over it. Get back on that horse, you can do this.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RallyAly View Post
Quick check-in today as there is lots on my plate today. Day 15 - feeling pretty good. I'm also eating pretty clean and have been doing light workouts while navigating the first couple weeks of sobriety (backstory - I gained a bunch of weight after quitting smoking in August and became pretty sedentary). Weight loss has ground to a halt and I feel ready to ratchet up the challenge level, so this weekend I'll start some medium an higher intensity stuff.
Sounds like you are doing some great things for yourself! Congrats on getting through the first 2 weeks
Old 01-28-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Roger, don't give up! Do you have any support outside of SR?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Morning 3. I am counting not just days but taking minute by minute. Not tjinking about future at all but feeling great in the moment.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Roger and Virginia, keep trying, sometimes it takes more than desire to beat this; it is the determination that comes from previous failed attempts! Once you get through Day 1, it boosts your self-confidence that you can make it through another day, and then another!

BadSneakers, I’m glad you were able to break the zombie cycle; it takes strength to pull yourself out!

Nic, thank you for your enthusiastic support – you are like a gentle breeze that blows across the internet highway!

JL, early sobriety decreased my ability to tune out the BS office talk; it does get easier. I agree, bleh! But you never know when you’re going to hit your turning point; it could be as soon as tomorrow. So keep trudging forward, the sun will shine soon.

M1A1, have you tried Sleepytime Extra tea? I know it helps me and I’ve notice other people on this Board mention it too. It’s by Celestial Seasonings. Sleep deprivation has been a trigger for me!

Hey Thump, I am sorry for your slip, but glad to see you get back up and keep on riding. Squelching what could have turned into a multi-day/week relapse is fundamental to winning this battle. You can do this!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

On day 5 and I don't know if I will be able to get through it . My Guinea pig died , she was an amazing piggie and it will be so hard to forget her my poor little Cookie. Can't stop thinking about wine
Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProudPenguin View Post
On day 5 and I don't know if I will be able to get through it . My Guinea pig died , she was an amazing piggie and it will be so hard to forget her my poor little Cookie. Can't stop thinking about wine
I am so so sorry, Penguin. Pets are family and I have lost several in a very short time. You'll get throughout it without wine. You're already on day 5, that's fabulous! Wine is a crutch. It'll just make you feel worse about Cookie. Take a nap if you can, or a hot shower, read, anything to get your mind off drinking. The feeling will pass. Hang in there, sweetie.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

So sorry for your loss Penguin. I know what it's like to lose a pet. Alcohol doesn't help. It might make you forget for a little while, but when you stop drinking the pain will still be there.

Here is a quote that heps me deal with loss. I hope it helps you.

"Grief is seeing only what has been taken away from you. The celebration of a life is recognizing all that we were blessed with, and feeling so very grateful." -- Ajahn Brahm
Old 01-28-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hi all. I can only catch up a little. so I hope no one feels left out.

Thump, good for you for not letting it be a big deal. Drinking is what we do. Trying to do something different is really hard, I know. I am very glad that you did not bail on us!

Odelle, you are remarkable! Congrats on being nicotine (the very devil) and caffeine free. You have some strength in you!

Sunflower, I love the quote for the day. I love the online marriage counseling idea too! To answer your question regarding boredom, our local community college offers a bunch of fluffy classes for a good price, stuff like watercolor journaling, the history of the town, etc. Most of the classes only meet once. Do you have anything like that where you are? Here, people over 55 can take 5 of them for $50, so I signed up for five. I read RR years ago. I liked it a lot. Be warned that Jack was angry when he wrote that book, so it's got some fire in it.

Nic, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I should have taken that nap!

Yesterday was pretty sucky, but it passed. I wish I could figure out what makes my mood swing around the way it does. Day 20.

I am disappointed that I cannot do sitting meditation. I thought it could maybe become my thang since there is a lot I cannot do because of my stupid back. If I am seated, the only way to stay comfortable is to shift, shift, shift position constantly. My favorite meditation is lying down anyway, which usually leads to nap time.

I am making a conscious decision to cut back on meetings and only go to groups that feel good to me. I am a square peg, and the round holes just do not work.

Nic's housecleaning bug got me this morning, and there is lots to do!

The snow finally melted and I spotted the beginning of peony sprout growing. That was a nice reminder that spring is coming.

And I made the unilateral decision to sign my husband up for a class (non recovery related). He is such a class potato. I have wanted us to take this class forever, and he keeps refusing, so I didn't even ask this time. We are going to take ballroom dancing, whether he likes it or not!

OK, I'm off to clean all the things! Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

I will not drink , just the voice in my head wouldn't shut up . I know I'm better off without it and I'll be going to AA meeting soon , I'm glad those rooms exist . Thank you for support and kind words
Old 01-28-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Thankyou, I think we can do this.. Many here have.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hello all! Small success here: I had a visit from a business inspector this morning and since I was not hungover I was able to handle it well and all is good! My premisis is well looked after and now I can resume my day. Yay!!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Lots and lots of hugs to you Thump. Hope you aren't beating yourself up over it. Get back on that horse, you can do this.
I'm not self-flagellating. Obviously it's shameful and I'm unhappy and disappointed, but I've never done anything in my life that didn't encounter difficulty, and I don't reckon this is any different.

I lost a battle last night. I haven't lost this war, and I won't.

I have to review my plan, and fill in the weak spot, which at this moment seems to be the emotional swings I'm still experiencing, and the way the I'm used to addressing them no longer being a valid option. I have to find a new roadmap for that -- in short, I need to, and will get on with finding personal therapy to find another way to address those swings.

Day One is still better than Day Minus-one.

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
Thump, good for you for not letting it be a big deal. Drinking is what we do. Trying to do something different is really hard, I know. I am very glad that you did not bail on us!
Well, it is a big deal, to me. But I also know that everything I've done worthwhile in my life -- fathering a good son, getting through Basic Training, trying to make relationships work -- those all have difficult spots where failures happen.

Last night was a failure, and those happen. I can either dwell on it or resume course. Dwelling on it will lead to more failure, and I can't afford that, so moving on it must be.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Thanks letsdance Great job on day 1!

TigerLili & M1A1, Great job on 10 days

I am glad you are back BadSneakers.

ProudPenguin, So sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts.

Day 25. Getting ready to run a few errands over my lunch hour. It is a really nice day here, sunny and warmer, I think it is supposed to get to 40 degrees which is a lot better than the negative degrees we have had the last couple of weeks.

Have a great rest of your day/evening everyone
Old 01-28-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Will be a month sober tomorrow, and hubby and I are out to dinner with friends. Pretty sure I can stick with lime and soda, but worried my AV is going to raise its ugly head. I will spend the next 24 hours arming my sober tool kit in preparation for battle.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Thump, I admire your ability to own up to it and move on. That is something I've never been able to do. Instead I cringe and obsess over every little detail. Sounds like you are more than ready to get back in the saddle! Keep on keepin' on!

It's the afternoon of day 4 for me. All withdrawal and alcohol-related anxiety is gone. I have moments of, "oh my God, this is so great, I want to be sober forever" and moments of, "oh my God, this is so sad, I may never drink again." My AV is in full force trying to bring me down. A friend invited me to dinner at a Mexican restaurant tonight and my first thought was, "an excuse to get a margarita!" Bad, bad. I am going to make a point of ordering a sweet tea before my friend has the opportunity to order a drink first. I'm always the one at restaurants waiting around for everyone else to order alcohol so I won't be the only one.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

The days are ticking by - Day 6 for me.
Still very tired but I think now might be the time to put a bit of focus and effort into some walking (strolling?) in the open air, investigate meditation - thanks for that link, Sunflowerlife - and make a very short list of to-do's for each day.
ProudPenguin - my sympathy on the loss of your little pal.
I'm thinking I see some names here that I remember from the July '15 class? - Well-done, us, getting back here!
Best wishes to all. Take care.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

I'm on my phone and it won't let my 'thank' but so many inspirational posts.

It's just gone 9pm and I haven't managed a dry day. But on a positive note I've had half a bottle of wine as opposed to the 2 or 3 bottles a day I have been drinking. It was also with company over a meal as opposed to in private.

And I'm alert to my AV using this to try and tell me I can moderate. No, I can't. Purely circumstances mean that I've stopped drinking now.

Tomorrow will be a big fat zero day. I've lined up a day of jobs to do AND my son has a friend staying. He will see a sober and sensible mother!! (Well sober, sensible will never happen!!)
Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
I slipped last night ... Lots of personal issues going on and I faltered.

Get my eye back on the ball, and we're back to Day One now. I'll be going to a meeting tonight ... getting back on the horse and giving her some spur.
aww thump-it's such a tough journey. Glad you've decided to get straight back on- that takes guts.. Very easy to let one slip spiral into a complete relapse.
You've got this Hun x
Old 01-28-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I’m sorry for your loss Penguin, losing a pet is so hard! I’m sure Cookie was as blessed to have you as a guardian as you were to have her in your life!

SH, I would love to take ballroom dance lessons, lucky you! As a lead to letting your husband know of the upcoming “couples therapy,” have him watch Shall We Dance, with Richard Geere and Jennifer Lopez. I love that movie! FYI, day 3 with no nicotine has my brain scattered; I had to google search movie with ballroom dance to recall the movie title and cast!

Loopylou, first social outings can be tough. Is your hubby supportive of your decision to not drink? If so, stick with the soda and lime and you should be fine. Just don’t let the AV take over when you get home!

Virginia, it sounds like you are heading into a sober weekend, which is wonderful. Make sure you have your favorite NA drinks at home and some snacks, should your AV act up tomorrow. You can do this!

Well, day 3 of no nicotine/caffeine has my head spinning today. The cravings aren’t too bad; it’s just the brain fog and equilibrium out of balance so far. I am hunkered down and not going out, determined to ride this out!