Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 43

Old 09-04-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Congrats Budd! I am so excited for you!! So glad Max & Jezz are going with you -- you sound so confident and sure about this that I know it's the right move. Big thumbs up! How'd they take your news at work? You must feel so relieved.

Marcher, so glad you're getting back to your normal routine. How'd it go at the Dr.?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Somebody just told me I'm too middle aged for Key West, too old to party stupidly and too young too retire and enjoy the water!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a sunny Paradise Woohoo Ken, you are getting on the road to your new life!

I had a good chat with my dr yesterday, he gave me a few pointers and some phone numbers if I need them. Toots de Sweet his advice matched with yours beautifully and I told him that.

It's a short day at work being Saturday. When I get home I need to look up my knitting patterns for one large turtle head and one small we head, then the stitches will commence!

I found myself checking the fridge this morning for limes for my mineral water -- what a change from the bad old days of counting bottles and checking levels in them.

Have a good Friturday everyone.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Woohoo Marcher, does that qualify me as a doctor now?? seriously I am glad you are sounding like your old self again.

Budd, I am so happy for you, I know there will be big changes ahead, but I also know that you will meet them with fortitude and that easy going nature of yours. Will the Buddmobile make the journey?

We spent the day in Florence yesterday it was wonderful so much history and culture. I have recently finished reading a novel that was set in the early 1500s suggesting that macchiovelli, Da Vinci and Cèsare Borgia met. It was really interesting and covered a lot of the factual history of the area, so that knowledge added to my enjoyment.
We had time to go and visit with David, having seen images of him all my life I didn't expect to be impressed by the real thing, but I was. So different in the 'flesh' so to speak!

We walked along Ponte Vecchio looking at all the bling ( and very bling it was, fortunately for Mr T I wasn't impressed, I prefer my bling less shiny and with history - preloved!) we had a lovely if exhausting day - left the room at 06:15 got back 22:30 .

A quiet beach day to recover as another early start and long day tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

It sounds wonderful, Toots! Yesterday sounds exhausting--but it also sounds like the adrenaline made it great!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Dr Toots does it again :-). It sounds like you are having a lovely vacation!

Marcher, happy to hear that your doctor agreed with Toots.

Have a good one, Marchers.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Toots , sounds like you're having a great time!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Ken, wow good for you!! Safe travels, friend. If you slept well and have a smile on your face, it was a good decision.

Sassy, hope you are sleeping better.

Had a very fun final day here in England. It's going to be tough to go tomorrow. Impromptu dinner with j's friends, including her very good friend living in Australia. We were all in town at the same time. Getting picked up for the airport in 4.5 hours, guess I should to to bed!

Have a good night!
Old 09-06-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hmmm--there's been a new development back at the ranch.

In six months we will be taking in renters for the in-law suite that my dad had lived in.

It is a young couple with a 2-y-o and one on the way in April (the guy from Sydney and his wife).

Last night I was babysitting my grandkids, while this family visited to discuss details. My granddaughter and their daughter were running at full speed around the house--and you cannot imagine how ear-piercing the shrieks of joy were!

This lady is really good friends with my two daughters. My one daughter stays over (with her family) for a couple days every two weeks to clean for community group. My other daughter is due with her first in October. I'm sure there will be lots of congregating at my house.

I had been so pleased that now I get days of peace and quiet sometimes--well, so much for that!

My husband has a reason, though. We were thinking of selling this spring--but he and one son-in-law have a dream. My husband would prefer to sell the house to the kids, with us living in the in-law suite--but my SIL can't foresee being able to afford it for another three years.

This new solution will solve the problem temporarily--plus give us rent money to boot!

But something tells me that I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time in the public library!

(That's OK--I've been meaning to start spending days there for awhile, just on my own. If I'm away from my fridge, I won't graze all day long, and I'll lose weight).

God is stretching me. Ever since I was convicted to quit drinking, he has revealed to me exactly how deep my selfishness goes. I was able to let go of a good bit of it through the process of getting sober--but there is much more to go.

I think I will have to ask for a lot of grace, though, especially on the days my grandkids come over!

But I'll bet I'll eventually build a tolerance for it, and hopefully even a fond sentiment.

If not--well, we can end the arrangement! My husband has a low tolerance for screeching, too--he might be quicker to pull the plug than I am!

But I actually think this is a character-stretching thing rather than an imposition, because in the past year I have been challenged by two other huge lifestyle changes.

One was the decline of my father.

Also, in my drinking days (and even after), I spent the whole day at home with no pressing outside obligations. For a good while, though, I find myself busy all the time!

I was always a downtime and solitude person! This has really pushed me--stretched my capacity.

I think this tenant situation is a similar exercise for me.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it works out well for you Gilmer

D
Old 09-06-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee.

As you can see, I'm putting the best spin possible on it today.

My inner child was screaming NO, NO, NO last night, though!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Gilmer you amaze with me with your acceptance, I understand your motivation -- and frustration -- and that's why you amaze me.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I too hope it works out for you & your family. I see a commonality between many of us - I too am very selfish and treasure my solitude. As you said you can always end the arrangement if it's too much for you. Do you have a yard you can send the kiddies out too? Although I forgot you have winters to contend with there.

We're in Miami this weekend. No more angst. I remember how not too long ago I stressed over coming here - all the partying I used to do here. Now it's a non-issue. Heck, I don't even know where a married, middle aged woman with two kids would party here - haha. I enjoy the international-ness of Miami. So different from the little bubble we live in just an hour north.

We, I hope you have a good flight home. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

I hope my US friends have a great Labor Day!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Gilmer you amaze with me with your acceptance, I understand your motivation -- and frustration -- and that's why you amaze me.
Gilmer, Marcher said it so perfectly

Duff, happy to hear you are enjoying Miami - and the booze-free aspect sounds so perfectly natural.

Have a lovely Sunday and holiday for those celebrating on Monday.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Gilmer I don't think I could do it. I am too territorial. I love having family to stat and have had daughter & gson stopping for several months several times, but I always end up wanting them to leave so I can get my peace back! I hope things work out for you, you do seem to be trying to see only the positives.

We went to s Giminiano and Siena today had a really good trip. It included the second wine tasting, which was more of a chore as more people were there, more was made of the experience and one Kiwi guy just wouldn't stop commenting.
(Btw Marcher, I have never come across so many antipodeans doing the eurotrek as I have this hol... They are all getting away from your winter!! )
Anyhoo, I wasn't bothered about not drinking I just wished others wouldn't make a deal of it. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the day overall. Siena was fascinating, the old medaeval town is split into 17 contrades all with different names and flags. A person belongs to the contrade that they are baptised in. They are fiercely patriotic to their contrade, and if they marry someone of a different one, they argue about which one the kids will be baptised in! Truly fascinating. Every year I. The square they run a race called Il Paleo ( look it up on YouTube) the jockeys have no saddle and the winning contrade get to fly their colours all year.

Also the Cathedral there was amazing too.

I am pooped out we have 3 days left so are probably going to veg on the beach for the next couple.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Good morning -- just -- Marchers It's a stunning spring day in Paradise, 20C sunny and breezy. I have too many layers on and I'm loving it.

Haha Toots, I can understand all those Aussies being over there, just the words "Giminiano and Siena" are enough to inspire me to pack my bags. Loved the explanation about the "contrades".

We I hope you are travelling well too. I was thinking of you last night as I cast on the stitches for your beanie -- ladies first Trachy.

Ok I have a big to-do list so I'm off.

Have a good day all.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

I've only been in this trailer for three years, how does one accumulate this much crap?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
I've only been in this trailer for three years, how does one accumulate this much crap?
Very easily- one item at a time
I've moved around 26 times and it doesn't get easier. Thinking of you, Ken, as you move and start another phase of your life. There will be challenges but it sounds good.

Marcher, it sounds gorgeous there!

Toots, love the travel descriptions - it's the next best thing to being there myself :-)

We, I can attest to Marcher's knitting skills - your beanie will be simply beautiful!

Have a good one!
Old 09-07-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Funny how crap accumulates!

Thank you guys for your kind words.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Poor Ken! I know about accumulation.

Sass, thank you for those lovely words.