View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Gilmer

Hmmm--there's been a new development back at the ranch.

In six months we will be taking in renters for the in-law suite that my dad had lived in.

It is a young couple with a 2-y-o and one on the way in April (the guy from Sydney and his wife).

Last night I was babysitting my grandkids, while this family visited to discuss details. My granddaughter and their daughter were running at full speed around the house--and you cannot imagine how ear-piercing the shrieks of joy were!

This lady is really good friends with my two daughters. My one daughter stays over (with her family) for a couple days every two weeks to clean for community group. My other daughter is due with her first in October. I'm sure there will be lots of congregating at my house.

I had been so pleased that now I get days of peace and quiet sometimes--well, so much for that!

My husband has a reason, though. We were thinking of selling this spring--but he and one son-in-law have a dream. My husband would prefer to sell the house to the kids, with us living in the in-law suite--but my SIL can't foresee being able to afford it for another three years.

This new solution will solve the problem temporarily--plus give us rent money to boot!

But something tells me that I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time in the public library!

(That's OK--I've been meaning to start spending days there for awhile, just on my own. If I'm away from my fridge, I won't graze all day long, and I'll lose weight).

God is stretching me. Ever since I was convicted to quit drinking, he has revealed to me exactly how deep my selfishness goes. I was able to let go of a good bit of it through the process of getting sober--but there is much more to go.

I think I will have to ask for a lot of grace, though, especially on the days my grandkids come over!

But I'll bet I'll eventually build a tolerance for it, and hopefully even a fond sentiment.

If not--well, we can end the arrangement! My husband has a low tolerance for screeching, too--he might be quicker to pull the plug than I am!

But I actually think this is a character-stretching thing rather than an imposition, because in the past year I have been challenged by two other huge lifestyle changes.

One was the decline of my father.

Also, in my drinking days (and even after), I spent the whole day at home with no pressing outside obligations. For a good while, though, I find myself busy all the time!

I was always a downtime and solitude person! This has really pushed me--stretched my capacity.

I think this tenant situation is a similar exercise for me.