Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 43

Old 09-02-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Glad you're enjoying yourself, WeHav!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Marcher

Oh, Gilmer, I'm impressed with everyone who can play an instrument, because I can't. I can't even strum. Good luck with the retreat. And school!

Sweet dreams, Toots!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey over there, wehav! What a great vacay you're having. I'm so happy for ya'll!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys, good to see yo posting more JG, we've missed you here. I know you will miss your boy, but he is beginning to make his own independent way in the big wide world, and you have equipped him well to do do it. Be proud you raised a lad who is able to reach out and experience everything.

North that sounds sublime, it really does.

WeHav, I am glad your new MIL had absorbed you into the family, I too am lucky with mine, she is wonderful. I know it is harder for your MIL to accept that her daughter has chosen to love a same sex partner, but all MILs have the same struggle as to whether a partner chosen by their child is good enough!

We had a lovely, if exhausting day yesterday in Cinque Terre ( go on Marcher, google it!) visiting these small villages perched higgledy piggledy atop cliff edges and sea level cliff sides. Squeezed tightly together and built tall with tiny lanes, the residents lived a hand to mouth existence on the wines they grow in terraced vineyards up almost vertical hillsides ( they use a kind of adapted Stanna Stairlift to haul the grapes up ) and from the sea. About 15 years ago they achieved UNESCO heritage status and became tourist spots, now many of them make a killing from restaurants and tat! I wonder how this has changed them, we didn't get the chance to speak to any of the locals. They do still make the wines though. We had a wine tasting at the end of the day and I was reliably informed that the Cinque Terre wine was salty from the sea ail perpetually coating the vines and grapes. I didn't miss the wine, but I did feel a little left out of the shared experience.
A day recovering at the beach today before another early start tomorrow for a day spent exploring Florence.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hi guys, good to see yo posting more JG, we've missed you here. I know you will miss your boy, but he is beginning to make his own independent way in the big wide world, and you have equipped him well to do do it. Be proud you raised a lad who is able to reach out and experience everything.

North that sounds sublime, it really does.

WeHav, I am glad your new MIL had absorbed you into the family, I too am lucky with mine, she is wonderful. I know it is harder for your MIL to accept that her daughter has chosen to love a same sex partner, but all MILs have the same struggle as to whether a partner chosen by their child is good enough!

We had a lovely, if exhausting day yesterday in Cinque Terre ( go on Marcher, google it!) visiting these small villages perched higgledy piggledy atop cliff edges and sea level cliff sides. Squeezed tightly together and built tall with tiny lanes, the residents lived a hand to mouth existence on the wines they grow in terraced vineyards up almost vertical hillsides ( they use a kind of adapted Stanna Stairlift to haul the grapes up ) and from the sea. About 15 years ago they achieved UNESCO heritage status and became tourist spots, now many of them make a killing from restaurants and tat! I wonder how this has changed them, we didn't get the chance to speak to any of the locals. They do still make the wines though. We had a wine tasting at the end of the day and I was reliably informed that the Cinque Terre wine was salty from the sea ail perpetually coating the vines and grapes. I didn't miss the wine, but I did feel a little left out of the shared experience.
A day recovering at the beach today before another early start tomorrow for a day spent exploring Florence.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

One of the villages ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (31.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-03-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
One of the villages ....
Wow. Sideways Land.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Toots, love your shares about vacation. That pic reminds me of a jigsaw puzzle I have of one of those cliff villages.

Wow - I slept 5 hours last night, got up for a bit, then back to sleep for another 3. Amazing :-)
Old 09-03-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

That's great, Sass!
Old 09-03-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing well,

As I've talked about before, I'm really not happy with my work situation here. They still haven't moved ahead with hiring anyone and I'm still working way too many hours. I was supposed to have Tues and Wed off this week, but had to come in for 1/2 days on both.

Now, I just got reamed out by the bosses for something that is beyond my control.

The person that ran the snack bar until a few months ago left to go to Tennessee to take cage of her aging grandmother, we've been keeping in touch and she decided not to come back.

She just bought a house and is looking for a roommate. She says she can also get me in where she works, a transportation company that serves needy people. The pay is about half of what I make here , but living expenses are 1/4 of here.

I've got enough saved and in my 401 to be able to live at least 2 years even without a job, plus as of now I am qualified for a small pension that would keep me in rent until social security kicks in.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it, it;s time for a new adventure anyways.

It's time for me to get some sort of life back.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

I am so glad for you, Budd! It sounds like it's worth the risk.

And there are no hurricanes in Tennessee, wimpy or otherwise!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Budd, you haven't sounded too thrilled with current job for awhile so perhaps a new adventure would be a form of renewal.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

I just talked to my Brother and the girl in Tennessee, my brother thinks it's the right thing and if I don't like it there I can always go out to Utah. So I'm going for it. Putting in my notice tomorrow, staying on til the 24th and plan on leaving Key West on the 30th.

I figure 2 days to get there.

I will talk with Tracy more and see if she needs anything I have and ship it up there, the rest can go to goodwill.

Max and Jezz are both welcome too! If they weren't I would be leaving.

Joy, how far are you from the turnpike? Maybe we can meet up.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Ken

D
Old 09-03-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Oh wow, good morning Marchers What an exciting morning catching up on everyone's great news even the "ordinary" day news sprinkled throughout is great news because we are here and we are sober!

Ken I'm over-the-moon pleased for you about this decision. I know finances and everything have to be considered but I'm so glad and proud that you are deciding for you. It will be great to move on to an employer who values you for who you are and what you can give. Chances are your current one will do so belatedly but he's had his chance.

As for our travellers -- good news from all of you and Toots yes, I googled it. Safe travels to all of you.

This afternoon I'm seeing my doctor about this driving this "up the top" as we call it ("top" being the mountain not my addled brain in that instance). I'm not expecting him to have an exact answer for me but he will likely have a pointer of advice.

Since our big thing of Mr M's minor heart attack and my accident in those thirty six hours, I stepped down from two of my volunteer jobs (foodbank and art committee) but I'm ready to go back to them. I'm working two hours on Sunday and I've started the bookings again for the art committee.

Have a good day peeps.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Budd, happy to hear your news!

Marcher, happily it sounds like you are in the process of moving past the trauma of those two closely-spaced events.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Marcher, I'm glad you're able to resume your responsibilities for the food bank and art committee. Sounds like you're already hitting your stride with the art committee!

I'm glad you mind has been quickly made up, Budd. I'm glad you sought wise counsel--and are wasting no time in implementing it!

Why should you be miserable?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Notice has been given, my last day of work in Sept 24. Leaving for Tenn of Sep 30.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
Notice has been given, my last day of work in Sept 24. Leaving for Tenn of Sep 30.
Wow! When you make up your mind, you don't mess around :-)
Old 09-04-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

I figure why waste their and my time, had my best night of sleep in a long time last night.