Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 6

Old 07-17-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Nice job Dharma! I'm glad to hear you had fun. I've been having more fun sober in the last two months than I think I ever did while I was drinking!
A lot of it has been like Allie said, going out and doing things I never did before, because I didn't have time or couldn't drive because I was drinking. Now I've got nothing but time, and I've been trying to put it all to good use!

Casey, that town with the groundhogs is pronounced Punks-A-Tawny, just in case you ever need to know

nmd, glad you came right back! I know it's a struggle but hang in there. I really think it's going to click for you one of these days, and in the mean time just keep coming back! Have you thought about adding anything else to your plan to help? Meetings of some sort or something? That might be what you need to get past these first few months.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Good morning class!

Casey, you're right... tomorrow is 2 months for me! Wow, can't believe it. It's the longest stretch of sober time since I failed 2 years ago just after six months.

Dharma, great job last night! I'm glad you had a good time. My first time out with drinking friends was pretty scary, but I was so proud of myself after just ordering a diet coke. I hesitated for a few seconds, but phew... made it and it was just fine.

Cooper, I think we're at the same sober day? 61 days today for me. Reconstruction surgery on your ankle? Ouch. Hope everything goes well for you. Prayers your way.

Gotta get ready for work now... I'll check in later!

Happy sober Friday everyone!
Old 07-17-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Good morning! Happy sober Friday! Off to work I go... Everyone sounds like they are happy and vibrant. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Dharma, thanks for sharing your wonderful story. I have a similar situation facing me on Saturday and your story gives me hope that I can make it past day 50. On the insomnia front, I was at the market looking for Tension Tamer (someone had suggested that to help sleep) and I stumbled across something called Neuro Sleep. Has anyone ever heard of it? I'm not sure if they make it outside of the U.S., but the stuff actually worked (kind of) for me. I was able to string together a descent 6.5 hours with only 1-wake up. It doesn't sound like much, but when I have been getting 4-hours on a good night, every bit helps.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
nmd

Congrats on getting through you'd dinner so bravely dharma!

Site, I do think counseling at since level might be beneficial. I don't want to delay getting sober though, as drinking impacts my life negatively. In the end, i believe we need to do the hard work of quittng on our own. That said I might need something more to adjust to a new life.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Just checking in. Still no alcohol since May 8th. Can't say the xanax didn't get me thru a few rough patches. I now have no more of them and plan on no refills.

For those who slipped up, I've done that dozens of times. Currently I've only been alcohol-free this long two other times in my life and broke down both times when I thought I could moderate. I have no fantasy about that now.

Best to all,

Old 07-17-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Nmd how does your girlfriend fit into your plan? Is she supportive and if so would she consider sharing sobriety with you? It is really hard to stay sober with a significant other who is actively drinking.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hello, all

Surrender, yep you and I are sober twins! Thanks also for the prayers. Much much appreciated.

Dharma, I never doubted ya for a second. So glad it went well. You're braver than I am. I typically just tell people I'm not drinking that day. I'm scared of how people will react to the full truth. So, good on you for knocking that out! I have am impending sense that I soon will be telling people I'm done with drinking forever.

rufftime, I am a firm supporter of straight up Tylenol and Benadryl for sleep. Takes away the restlessness, helps me fall asleep, and stay that way.

nmd, I appreciate your take on doing the hard work to stop drinking on one's own. However, if you think about it, no matter how much help/tools one uses, it still ultimately comes down to the individual to put those things to use. No one can make us get and stay sober. There is no shame is using any form of healthy tools/tips/support to bolster our own efforts.

Hi 4! Glad you haven't drank. I'm also glad the Xanax did its job and helped you get through. I say if you don't need refills don't get them. That stuff can suck ya in quick.

Have a great day, guys!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Quick check-in to start day 71. (My first and only day 71!) I can't believe I just slept in until almost noon. Didn't go to bed until two so it was only a little over nine hours sleep but still that's very late for me to sleep in.

Glad to see so many people checking in and staying sober. Got to go get some laundry done now or I'll be naked at work tonight. Talk to you all later!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I have had a really nice day. First one in a while. With one exception. I got into a fight with one of my dogs today. She is a gigantic yellow lab. Typically, I can ask her if she is my friend and she will take one of her monster paws and place it either on my knee or in my hand. Well, I asked her and she placed her paw in my hand but then she changed her mind. She clubbed me a good one and I now have a nice big scratch to prove it! Haha!

Oh well, if that's the worst of it I'll gladly take it!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Checking in. Busy day today. A funeral and time with daughter. Wishing all a great upcoming weekend!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Where is everyone? Only two posts since noon? Wake up people! Entertain me!

Ending day 71 here. Slept in way late today, like I said. Went and did laundry at my folks, returned that video game system I bought yesterday while my clothes were in the dryer, ate an amazing jalapeno cheeseburger from this deli down the street. Red meat twice in about a week is pretty rare for me but it was delicious and I was craving it again. Guess I needed the iron or something.

Work was cool. Really really smooth shift. Everything was just running good and time flew by. Made good money and was never stressed at all. If every night at work was like tonight, I'd be a happy Casey.

New Bojack Horseman season was released on Netflix today so I'm going to watch the first episode of that before I go to sleep. I loved the first season.

Copper -- your dog clobbering you story made me laugh. Man, do I want my own dog who will punch me.

Kale -- sorry you had to go to a funeral. Hope everything is OK.

Hope everyone has had a happy and sober Friday! And I hope I don't sleep in until noon again. Talk to you in the morning!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Oh yeah, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work just now to buy some juice. The woman in front of me in the express line absolutely REEKED of this putrid combination of stale cigarette smoke and cheap beer. She smelt exactly like the kind of bars I used to love to sit in all afternoon back in the early 2000s. Me getting quietly loaded while I read, most of the other patrons of the beer being sad alcoholic men fifty years old than me.

I'm glad I don't have to smell like that anymore.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Just about to head into work, but wanted to stop by and say hi! I'm really tired today, woke up a few times but slept okay, so I'm not sure why. Hopefully it will wear off in a little bit!

Kale, sorry about the funeral!

Casey, why are you returning the game system? Did you mention that and I missed it or is that a new decision?

Two more weeks and I'll be home! Looking forward to my own bed and some of the regular meetings I was going to before I left. I miss those people!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post

Casey, why are you returning the game system? Did you mention that and I missed it or is that a new decision?
Just decided playing video games at home alone was not how I needed to be spending my free time right now. When I was looking at my old class threads a couple of days ago to write my post about my various SR relapses, I started remembering how I was sober for 39 days at the start of this year and all I did was work and come home and play video games for eight or nine hours every night and how absolutely miserable and alone I was. I don't need to go back into that hole so just decided to return the video game system since it was still within the time frame to get a full refund.

I've got a couple of new creative personal projects I'm going to start working on instead in my free time. Not really projects I want to go into great detail about here because of the anonymity issues, etc., but maybe I will talk about them more at some point if I'm actually successful in working on and completing them.

Sorry you're feeling tired today, site, and wishing you the best...
Old 07-18-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

That sounds like a good plan. I think a big part of brig successful so far has been that in stepping out of my comfort zone and doing new things. Noticing the patterns and behaviors that led to my drinking in the first place, like isolation, has been a big part of it. It's hard to tell sometimes, because I really do enjoy time to myself, I just have to think about why I'm doing it and make sure it's for healthy reasons, like I really need some quiet time to read and relax.
I have enjoyed getting out more and even that's something I can do alone most of the time, but changing up my routines has really helped I think.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Today is my Day 50. I never thought it would have been such a challenge to get to this point. Maybe that was part of my misconception that all I would have to do is quit and I would start to feel great. Boy was I wrong:-) Don't get me wrong, it feels great to not wake up with a hangover! I'm just not sure how I can survive with this anxiety and sleep deprivation. I'm still playing around with different suggestions on the sleeping front. I know benedryl, Tylenol pm, and melatonin work (kind of), but they make me feel terrible. Neuro sleep worked one night and it got me the most sleep I have had in almost a month (it just wasn't last night). The anxiety just seems to be in the morning and improves toward the afternoon, but I can already tell it is affecting my career (poor concentration). I'm trying to have a new and improved attitude, but I needed to vent a little.

I'm pleased to read there are so many that are taking advantage of being sober and trying new things.

@site1Q84 -I think it is great you are getting out and trying new things. I can relate with the isolation. It's just easy to get into that funk when you are drinking. You think why would I need to go out, I've got everything I will ever need right here;-)

@CaseyW - congrats on 71!

@Copper- thanks for the tip on the benedryl and Tylenol PM. They did get me a few hours, but still woke up at 2 like normal and felt like dirt. I guess each of us has to find that sweet-spot and it's taking me longer :-/

Anyhow, I'm going to try to go for a run. 3rd time this week. I wish everyone a great sober day ahead!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Good morning all, glad to see everyone doing at least fairly well, I like the idea of changing up routines, too, Site. Casey, I think you made a good choice returning the box, too, and I'm sure it'll be rewarding to change things up a little with projects. I was so good at putting things off for home improvements and it's taking some forcing to get things done, but I feel really happy when I do. It can take me forever to pick paint colors for example, but part of that is just the avoid/procrastinate thing that has become a habit. RT, hope you find what works for sleep and anxiety.
The funeral was an elderly relative of a friend from my church--I had never met her but heard she was a wonderful lady.
I'll be at 3 weeks on Monday! I'll be really happy when I'll say it's been a month!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 72 here. Still very groggy this morning for some reason. No caffeine in the house so I may have to get out into the real world in a few minutes. Just paid my rent, always feels good to get that done.

Work this evening. Hope it goes as smooth as yesterday. No other real plans.

Rufftime -- congrats on day 50! That's awesome. Sorry the sleep issues are continuing. Hopefully a doctor will be able to help you with that. Wish I had some better advice to offer on this issue, I know it must be frustrating and worrisome.

site -- You get it. I most definitely need to be getting out of my comfort zone more. Buying that video game system was a step backwards in that regard.

Kale -- You'll get that month and much more if you just keep doing today what you did yesterday to stay sober. You're doing great!

Hope everyone has a safe and sober Saturday! That's kind of a tongue twister--safe and sober Saturday, safe and sober Saturday, say it ten times real fast.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Copper and Surrender2win -- congrats on 60 days! If I knew how to do that dancing banana emoticon, I'd do a whole row of 'em for you.