Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 6

Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

I'm in cissy! It's HOT here too. It's supposed to be in the upper 90's all week. It is very humid here. Summers in St. Louis can be unbearable. We have been lucky so far this year.

I'm at work and don't feel like doing anything. I miss my kid. Still 5 more days until she comes home. :-(
Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I've been in St. Louis in the summer a couple of times before. I could not live there.

Have you heard from your daughter, Allie? Is she having a good time?
Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

She texts me every 5 minutes! She is having some fun but homesick at the same time. This will be the longest she has ever been away from home.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
nmd

Well, it turned into a two coffee day (20 oz coffees), which is a lot less than normal. I will have to wean myself down to 1 coffee a day over a week or so instead of going right to 1 a day, I nearly fell asleep at my desk this around 10 am. Hopefully this helps level out my anxiety a bit. Full blown caffeine withdrawal feels like the flu, so I don't want to replace anxiety/jitters with that.

I've been looking for ways to relax/meditate/whatever, but for some reason never though of the obvious: cut back on coffee. I read up on passion flower tea a little bit too, it sounds relatively safe and effective. Might try it along with some other relaxation techniques.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hot tea of all sorts has been a big part of my recovery plan. There are so many great ones out there, most of them caffeine-free.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Two coffees is totally acceptable, nmd. One in the morning and one to keep you awake for the afternoon!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome Thursday!!!! Glad to meet you and congrats on your sober days!

Casey, I hear you about Dexter. It's enough already!!!

Cissy, you may really like White Collar. There really isn't a lot of rough language or a lot of gory violence (it was on CBS or one of those networks. They solve a crime/ mystery in each one and I really enjoyed the characters.

Last night I watched a documentary on Netflix called Ballet 422 (442?). It's about a young choreographer and the process of producing a show for the New York City Ballet Company. I enjoyed it.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Watched the first two episodes of Zoo tonight. So far it's pretty good. I'm off to bed soon. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Hi, all, looks like everyone's doing well. I've been getting necessary things done--appts, house repairs, etc. Cooking things and freezing portions. I like to cook but not every day, esp in the summer. I'm pretty much a vegetarian (mostly vegan), but will have meat at someone's home if that's what they made. Steak and hamburgers have absolutely no appeal to me. A black bean shitake burger, now that's a different story!
Well, it's really hot here, too, and will only get hotter in August, or rather the temperatures are higher even at night and early morning.
AV was quiet all day.
Wishing all a good night and tomorrow!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Bringing day 67 to a close. I slept a whole lot during the day today. Like I said, I went back to sleep this morning after first posting in here and ended up taking another short nap mid-afternoon. Weird, but I guess I needed the rest.

My steak was excellent and satisfied my cravings. Probably won't have red meat again for a month. I usually stick to fish, sometimes chicken. I've done the vegetarian thing before but I just feel hungry all the time when I do it.

Work was busy busy busy tonight. But it went well. Hope everyone had a nice sober Monday, talk to you tomorrow!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Hi All!

Not much to update, just another work day. Thought I would check in and say hi.
Hope everyone has a good sober Tuesday!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in - glad everyones doing OK still in this class.

I'm still doing good, its mid-terms this week at my school, so no teaching.

BUT am feeling drained and headachey, as have taken this opportunity to quit coffee as well, since I dont have any classes to be stimulated for every morning.

48 hours since I last had any coffee.

Apart from that nowt else to report, really. Just about to take the motorbike out for a bit of exploring before it goes dark and maybe a small bit of trekking.

Day 75 just came to an end - as of tomorrow, just 2 weeks to go until I hit my initial target of 90 days.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Good morning Team Sober (5:20 a.m. California time here). Not much to say, just checking in and being accountable. 45 days today and I'm doing a lot better mentally than I have with other tries in the past. I joined AA this time around (something I definitely resisted doing in the past) and I honestly have to say, I have a strength inside that I didn't have in the past. I can't even express what it is.

It helps me to think of abstinence as a choice, it's voluntary and not some kind of punishment or deprivation. I am choosing to not drink on a daily basis and for whatever reason, I seem to be making the right choice one day at a time.

Anyway, that's it for now. Gotta get ready for work.

Wishing everyone strength and confidence today.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Agag, so your school is year round? Are there significant breaks after finals for each semester? Almost at 90 --- you and some others here! That'll be a great milestone.
I've been coffee free before a number of times but just have a cup or two in the morning now. The groggy/headachy feeling passed after about a week for me. I love the teas, too, like Casey. Sometimes I'll make a lot, mixing a couple different kinds, add spices/fresh juice (like allspice, ginger, a bit of juiced watermelon rind), have part of it hot and the rest for iced tea.
I've been mostly-vegan/vegetarian for so many years now, and love it when people really like what I've prepared. Like a no-cheese spanakopita is a favorite. I have other vegan (the sober ones) family members who are vegetarian, so it's just a normal thing for us. I was affected by interesting, macramé-making, green-living people in college (their upbringing) and a couple years after, just past the time of the hippie culture heyday. People who had their own organic gardens and made their own baby food from it, etc.
Also wishing everyone a lovely sober day!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Day 46 for me. I have recently discovered SR and this seems to be an active group that fits my May 30th quit date. I was a binge drinker for about 20 years (just on special occasions). More recently (past 5 years), adding 2-3 beers after work to my previous habit. Still have ups and downs with anxiety that seems to present itself in the morning when I wake up and lasts until the afternoon. Numbness in feet and hands along with worry about the future (usually negative with impending doom) and kicking myself for drinking so much the past. This seems to improve a little in the afternoon, but not sure what I am doing to make that happen I am thankful I was able to wise up at this point. I know we are all early into this journey and I know anxiety is part of the deal, but is this normal every single day? I also wake up just about every morning at 2:30 am (have been exercising, eating well, and going to bed at about 9pm). I know you all have been on this journey together for several weeks, but I hope you will be willing to add one more. I appreciate any additional insight!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Hi, RT, welcome to our group. Congrats on day 46!!

It might be good to go to a doctor and explain your symptoms, and rule out anything physical. It could be simply anxiety, but I think it's always a good idea to get a checkup after a month or two of sobriety.

Don't worry about the future, about tomorrow. The most important day of your life is today. You can’t change the past and it’s best to let it go, forgiving yourself and others. You learned from it and life is a process. If you can learn from it, and from things that happen in your life as you go along, then that is a great thing, no matter how old you are or whatever has happened in your past. Just move forward. You don’t know the future and wringing your hands over it will not help. Be kind to yourself, be grateful for the things you do have, be grateful for today and give yourself room and some time to make adjustments in your life that will make it better. Not sure if this is helpful, but I’m writing these this as my very good friends have said the same to me (more than once, believe me).
Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 68 here. Wow! That number makes me happy. Recovery makes me happy.

Work tonight. Then off for two days. I'm ready for that. Went to the grocery store after midnight last night and bought all the fixings for some portabella fajitas. Going to fix those before work. I subtly flipped off the wine aisle as I walked by it. Showed them who's the boss!

Rufftime719 -- I am so happy you found us! First off, congrats on 46 days sober.

I personally don't have sleep-related issues for the most part now that the booze is out of my system, but I know that others here do so I'm sure they'll speak up.

Don't kick yourself for your past drinking. You can't do anything about that. Instead, give yourself a little love for making this huge positive change in your life. I know that's easier said than done sometimes, but it's working for me.

My anxiety is going away as I work at the issues that led me to drink in the first place. A big part of that is me fully realizing and accepting the fact that I can't control others in particular or the world in general. All I can do is control how I react to the situations I'm put in each day.

Once again, so glad you found us. Hope you'll contribute here regularly. There's an awesome power in the simple act of one addict helping another.

AGAG -- congrats on day 75!

Kale - isn't it crazy how we can put so much thought into our diet in so many ways yet we abused it with ridiculous amounts of alcohol for years? Yet more proof of how out of our control our addiction is.

site, Thursday -- Thanks for checking in!

Hope everyone has a happy and sober Tuesday. Please check in if you haven't done so yet!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

KaleGrrl and CaseyW, thank-you so much for the words of support. It certainly helps to have additional perspectives. Looking forward to catching up on the previous threads and getting involved. I assume since this is May part 6 we start a new thread every week? What day should I look for it? Thanks, RT
Old 07-14-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Rufftime -- we start a new thread whenever this one reaches 500 posts. Usually every couple of weeks, depending upon how chatty we've been. Or how big a blabbermouth I've been.

That's actually the standard rule for all SR threads--once they reach 500, a new thread is started. The Class of March 2013 is on part 44. That's amazing. My original class here (that I also still participate in) the Class of July 2013 is on part 19 and still very active.

It's kinda silly but I always feel a little spark of pride when we start a new thread--just more proof of the power in this group.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just added the first new item to my Dr. Nut soda collection in a long time! Not saying what it is yet but it's awesome and I'll post pictures once it gets here in the mail. Super cool and unexpected way to start the day!