Old 07-20-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread PixieD

We'll always help you celebrate a milestone, if you want

D
Old 07-20-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Welcome, Pixie, so happy to have you in May!
Congrats on 64 days!
I know what you mean about reaching a goal and then having the wind blown out of your sails just a little bit. We can certainly celebrate here, though!
I like and don't like counting days. It should be a happy or at least a neutral thing, but one of my triggers had been wanting to drink in celebration (or enhanced relief lol) after getting through something stressful or accomplishing something that was difficult. Just another AV thing to kick to the door.
I'm at 3 weeks but it seems like it's been forever and a day. I do have a one-year goal, though. Technically a couple days after 4th of July, but I'll take those real fireworks as my own private *yay* moment. :-)
Old 07-20-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
My apologies to AllieK and anyone else I offended. Was not my intent to break the rules or hurt anyone. I turned off private messages so it won't happen again. Wishing everyone the best tonight...
Hey, Casey, no need to turn off PM. Now you know, and now we all know. You had the best of intentions.
You're a wonderful presence and force in SR, so that's the top of my gratitude this morning.
Am off to another appt. Getting my medical, dental appts done this summer before school starts up again. I normally would tend to reschedule and procrastinate on those while drinking (not a good idea, esp at my age).
Wishing all a good day!
Old 07-20-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ginamarie323 View Post
I'm the same way, Kale. Even lately I've had thoughts like.....surely just one won't hurt. But then before you know it one turns into a bottle of wine a day, and shortly thereafter that turns into three bottles a day. Ridiculous. I'm actually petrified to even try a sip now, but I guess that's a good thing for now.
I'm with you GM323! So often in the past I have tried to moderate my drinking and it just doesn't work. It always accelerates. One glass of wine is actually worse than none, for me. One makes me crave the second, which makes me want the third...

For me, the saying "One is too many and two is not enough" is unfortunately true.

Yesterday I was reading the SR article on "How do you know if you've had a psychic change?". (Dee, that was a really good article). Something truly has shifted in me this time around. I'm 51 days sober today and I'm not "white knuckling it" like I have so many times in the past. I almost feel like I am having an out of body experience. There is this person I vaguely recognize as myself who is refusing to drink, and is sticking to it. I'm not sure where the strength came from, but to describe it as something outside of myself seems accurate at this point.

Anyway, I have to get ready for work. We are having some crazy weather here in So Cal. Humid and thunderstorms, even here at the beach!

Have a great day all.

PS - I love the honesty in this group! Even those who are "moderating", hang in there.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome pixie, congrats on 64 days!

I'm successfully down to one large cup of coffee a day (from a pot of coffee plus a day). It's been surprisingly easy, I can resist temptation to have another cup. I think it was kale who just posted on moderation and how she couldn't do it for drinking but could for food, coffee, etc. I have to agree with that 100%. I don't get blackout drunk every time, but it happens and is unpredictable. After the first drink, all bets are off, moderation just isn't an option for me.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Welcome Pixie D!

9 more days and I'm at 60. Personally, I am looking forward to Day 64. The longest I have ever, EVER, gone without drinking is 63 days, so on Day 64 I'm gonna blast Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc" and goofy-dance around my house.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
nmd

My feeling on not posting when "off the wagon" is what I've posted to others in the past. If we didn't have a drinking problem, we wouldn't need sr for support. I'm not saying it would be cool to encourage people to moderate, in fact I think that's against the rules, but its not like everyone's last day 1 is the day they signed up for sr. Everyone's journey is different. I've removed the sr app from my phone a half dozen times, only to put it back knowing going back to drinking wasn't an option. Keeping drinking secret, avoiding contact, taking advice as criticism, lying to "protect others", just having one drink... they're all dirty av tricks. I've done it, and I just dug myself deeper. That being said, sometimes we just need to learn for ourselves. I respect that, though at this point I don't really see any positives in drinking, it's a drug like any other.

Yesterday didn't go so well for me. I had my av under control, then i didn't. Today, I will follow my own advice.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. And welcome Pixie and Thursday! I think I'm on Day 70?! What the.....!? I need Casey to verify.

And Casey, please don't turn off your PMs. What if someone wants to message you privately? I think we all consider you the sort of "leader" of this group, at least I do, and you're a very comforting presence. The PM thing was no biggie. I probably would have done the same thing, not realizing it was against the rules. However, I do understand that particular rule. Your intentions were good, and that's all that matters.

Have a busy work day ahead, so hope everyone has a great Monday
Old 07-20-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard PixieD!! I'm at 64 days too!

I believe Copper is at 64 days too. Woo Hoo!! Sober Triplets!!

I'm with the majority here on the moderating thing... never worked for me. In fact, that's what blew my last shot at sobriety 2 years ago. Just past 6 months, I thought I could handle just a few... well, we all know how that goes. If it works for some, that's great... I just can't do it.

Thursday... my saying was "one is too many and a thousand never enough." Ugh... that's why I now just take one day at a time and I'm so grateful for finding this site. It's been a tremendous help for me.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Happy Monday All!

Kale - my son is also grown, was in another state with a girl but, things didn't work out, so he's back now. That must be rough not seeing your son that much! Its tough when they grow up!

Well, I would have had 75 days today, but since my screw up on the 4th of July, I am at 16. Either way, I am feeling better and thankful to all you guys here. I hope all of you are well, and have a great day!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Welcome Pixie! Glad to have you here!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KaleGrrl View Post
I'm at 3 weeks but it seems like it's been forever and a day.
I mean 2 weeks! It really seems like forever lol!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sagittarius714 View Post
Kale - my son is also grown, was in another state with a girl but, things didn't work out, so he's back now. That must be rough not seeing your son that much! Its tough when they grow up!
I know! We talk on the phone often enough though we really should Skype.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Where is everybody? This thread sure is quiet tonight... Hope all of you had a great sober Monday
Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Hey, I know. I'm here I miss Casey
Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Crickets....
Old 07-20-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I miss Casey too. Hope everything is ok
Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

I met an interesting man the other day that used to run a sober living facility. He said he needed a break after getting calls at 6 am like, "Somebody ate my poptarts." Made me laugh, but also made me think how hard that job is, or like what Dee does. I have a new found respect.....And I would be so fired if I had Dee's job...lol
Old 07-20-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Kalegrrl : yes, thats hilarious, my 1st thought to celebrate my 60 days was to have a drink! I didnt of course. Like you said thats the AV speaking.
GinaMarie : you've got some days on me..be proud & brag about it because you deserve the congrats as well!
Surrender2win : completely agree about moderation. Its not something that would work for me either. I know that if i took even 1 drink i'd be straight back into it & regret every sip! I had to laugh at the "sober triplets" was very comforting learning that 2 others became sober the same date as I did. Thats amazing! I will also be quoting you from now on "one is too many & a thousand never enough" how very very true.
Cheers to us all (holding up a glass of water w/lemon slices)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

That's funny, Gina (the poptarts).
Pixie--water, yes, cheers! I forgot to have the chamomile/lavender tea tonight. We'll see if I count sheep or have a good night.
Casey is missed today most definitely!
Wishing all a good night!