Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 6

Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

Garden tomatoes! Someday I hope to have some of my own. My little plant is doing its best. Looks like I won't have to water it today.

My tracfone just arrived! Looking at the package, it says, "Plans start as low as $7 per month." I was under the understanding that there was no monthly charges. Am I wrong about that? If so, interesting how they failed to mention that on their website or anywhere on any forum I investigated. .
Well, you should probably shake the branches for a while, just in case.

Most of those no-contract phones basically work on a month by month basis--meaning for example if you put $25 on it you'll get a certain number of minutes/texts/data. Once that $25 worth of minutes/text/data is used up, the phone is no good until you put some more money on it. BUT...and this is where they kinda get ya...if you don't use up that whole $25 in a month's time, the money doesn't carry over. Kinda like a car warranty--it's good for 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first--but in the phone's case it'd be $25 worth of service (or $7 or whatever) or a month's time, whichever comes first. Hope that makes any sense. So while you're not obligated to pay every month, you're not going to get service if you don't pay at least once a month.

My service with Sprint's no contract service costs me $35 a month. I get unlimited texts, 2 GB of data, and (I think) 400 minutes anytime. I don't talk on the phone for more than a couple of hours a month total so not sure about the minutes. I mainly text though I do use about half that data just messing around on the internet here and there when I'm away from the house. Still a lot cheaper than the $110 I was spending monthly with Verizon for the same amount and quality of service. And I've got a good smartphone still--a Samsung Galaxy 5. (Of course, it does now have the cracked screen I mentioned yesterday.)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

That sucks about the crack on the screen. My plan is for the whole year. It is triple the minutes and has unlimited carry over that never expires. Trouble is that by the time the year ends, I doubt there will be anything left to carry over. It's a 400 minute plan so when tripled, I get 1200 texts, 1200 call minutes and 1200 (1.2gb) of data. I can buy more data separately but that doesn't get tripled.

I'm going to download that free texting app I heard about so if that works, I can text freely (no pun intended) and not worry about running out of text time. Like you, I spend very little time talking on the phone. I'll limit my data and use my laptop for reading emails and web stuff whenever possible.

This phone is slightly smaller than the one I had already but it feels right in my hand. You know how nice everything feels when it's brand new and you've just pealed off the plastic protectors. If only they would stay that way.

Cute about shaking the branches. I still do that once in a while. Still no sign of bees or butterflies around the plant. Don't know what's up with that!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Well Casey, I'll say you are getting the deal of a lifetime on your phone. Cracked screen or not. LOL. Our phone plan (3 phones) is over $200 a month. We have 3 new phones and unlimited talk (which we barely use) and text and 10g data with rollover. I get a cell phone allowance from work but still...everything is so expensive! Don't even get me started on our cable bill. OR the electric bill. It was ridiculous this month and it hasn't even been that hot out!

I have some time to kill until my husband gets home with my dinner. I am pretty excited about what I ordered for dinner!

My daughter comes home Saturday night. I will need to go pick her up when she gets in town which won't be until 1 AM. That is good for me because I know with 100% certainty that the fact that I have to drive to get her in the middle of the night will prevent me from even considering drinking on Saturday. I am trying to come up with something to do Friday night still. I want to see the movie Trainwreck so we might do that. It looks hilarious! The down side to that is that the movie theaters here sell alcohol so that might be a temptation. My husband is aware of my intentions though so he won't try to give me any. Our theaters have fancy seating with waitresses and all kinds of food and honestly I hate drinking there anyway because then I don't remember half of the movie and I don't eat any of the yummy food.

There is absolutely nothing to do in this area that doesn't have alcohol available. Closer to the city there are things like art museums, the science center, zoo, etc. but they are a bit of distance from me. In the past I wasn't too happy about traveling so far because my main concern was drinking and getting home quickly to do so. I think the new Z should be to try to go do those things that I was always hesitant to do because alcohol was so much in the forefront of my mind. My daughter would love it. She is always trying to go do "stuff". She doesn't usually even care what it is as long as it is something.

I will spend Saturday cleaning. The house is getting kind of dirty since my mini-me cleaning lady has been on vacation!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Day 77 reached.

Sadly, feel extremely tired right now - though it will be partly because of not eating much, and cutting down on coffee.

I am suspecting I might have some kidney problem, as I've been waking up at midnight or 3am to go pee, as well as feeling tired and run down, over the last few weeks.

Though it could also be because it's not been quite as hot as it has been, though am still drinking lots of water thats now going straight through me as I'm not sweating so much anymore.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
That sucks about the crack on the screen. My plan is for the whole year. It is triple the minutes and has unlimited carry over that never expires. Trouble is that by the time the year ends, I doubt there will be anything left to carry over. It's a 400 minute plan so when tripled, I get 1200 texts, 1200 call minutes and 1200 (1.2gb) of data. I can buy more data separately but that doesn't get tripled.
That's not a bad setup at all as long as you can get the text app working. Gives you a phone for those times when you just have to make/receive a call and texting ability the rest of the time. Though I'm assuming the text app will count against your data limit. That program can't use up that much data though, can it? And I guess you can always use your wifi for data on your phone when you're home, right?

No carryover is my only issue with my plan. Otherwise I've been very pleased with it.

I've never used one of those texting applications but I know there's one that's super popular in Asia but also available worldwide. Can't remember the name now. Didn't Facebook buy it last year for a bazillion dollars or something? (Edit: Just thought of the name: Whatsapp.)

AGAG -- don't know if there's any truth to it but I've always heard cranberries and cranberry juice were good for potential kidney issues. Can't hurt to try it if you're not already.

Anyways, day 69 is winding down here. Played my new video game all afternoon and then went to have a home cooked meal at my dad's. Fried pork chops so definitely not healthy at all. I wasn't really too into eating that but felt like I needed to spend some time with my dad as I hadn't in a couple of weeks, and it was nice of them to invite me over.

Went straight from there to an AMAZING AA meeting. Seriously, there was so much great recovery going on in there tonight. Main topic happened to be one that you all know is a favorite of mine--not taking that first drink and the changes that happen in us when we do.

Lots of folks in their first couple of months like me there, but an equal number of people with very long term sobriety including one fantastic gentleman who has been sober since 1963. I think I've only ever seen one person in an AA meeting with an earlier date and I'm pretty sure he passed away years ago. This man tonight seemed to be in good health. I'm guessing he was 85 years old or so but he might have been 90. He had some great insightful things to say about recovery but also had a few funny lines as well. He said his favorite response when people asked him why he wasn't drinking was, "Drinking makes me see double and feel single." That one cracked up the room.

Going to go kill some more dragons and then try to go to bed at a reasonable hour tonight. If you haven't checked in today, hope you'll do so soon. Talk to you all tomorrow morning bright and early!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So much for going to sleep early. I started writing a post on the Newcomers forum about an hour ago that turned into a virtual book about my many relapses here on SR.

Anyways, it's way after midnight now so it's officially day 70! My new personal best length of continuous sobriety! Seriously, thanks to each and every one of you for keeping me sober for these last 70 days. I care deeply about each and every one of you and look forward to continuing to grow in recovery with this class.

Now I'm really going to try to sleep...
Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Casey

D
Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  
nmd

Congrats AGAG on 77 days! Caffeine withdrawal is miserable, I hope you get through the worst of it soon. I don't remember how old you are, but it seems the older I get, the earlier I have to get up to pee. :-/ Probably warrants a doctor visit though if you are worried.

Cissy, the cheapest pay-as-you go provider I had was T-Mobile. In order for the minutes to carry over from month to month, I had to buy a $100 worth of minutes to become a "gold' customer. Once I did that, the minutes would roll over month to month, year to year, with a minimum of a $10/year to keep the account active and gold status. I had tracphone 10+ years ago, they had fraud issues. Minutes cards I bought were already used and customer service accused me of trying to defraud them. I wouldn't go back to TF because of that.

Last night noticed one of my tomatoes has leaf spot from the wet weather... I need to prune/spray them with a fungacide or they will be wiped out in short order. Ugh.

Casey, loved your post, and I thank you guys for not kicking me out of the May class. I'm getting better in a sense, getting a bunch of sober days a week, but I know how quickly that turns into full blown drinking, skulking away from SR, etc. I need to cut off the av/beast.

Allie, I like your new Z. There are so many things I've planned to do or started by never got to it, because I wasted time drinking. I never really avoided non-drinking activities, but just didn't make time for them.

I was struggling pretty badly last night, and I should have come here. I didn't mainly because I thought I had it under control and we've been frantically preparing for a graduation party for my step son this weekend. My GF/fiance bought the beer and liquor, so I was saved from doing that, but discussing what/how much to buy was suprisingly difficult. I got through that ok, but I had a hard time shaking a nagging AV voice. Later, I was mowing the lawn, going past my grape vines and started feeling bad for myself that I couldn't make wine from them this year. I can do a lot of things with the grapes of course (pies, jelly for the kids, etc.), but that's not what the AV tells you in the moment. I drank, I considered just giving up and not logging back on to SR. I woke up very early this morning and checked SR anyways I saw Casey's post. It helped even though the deed was already done. I hate coming here with my tail between my legs and sometimes I worry I'm having a negative influence on everyone else trying to quit, but I'll be selfish for the moment. I'm here trying again (again).

Love you guys, and thanks for being there.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Casey, so awesome on your milestone!!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Congrats Casey! Great job!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

First off, congrats to Casey on 70! That's an awesome achievement! As of today I am at 48. Looking forward to celebrating 50 on Saturday in a responsible fashion (and being able to remember it)! This sleep thing is still kicking my behind. I think I've got the falling asleep part down, but the waking every 90 or less with being wide awake at 3:30 has got me perplexed. I've got several tips to try per your recommendation, but don't want to try them until the weekend. I'm afraid if they work too good, I might miss work! I'm also seeing the dr. Today to see about any med recommendations. I've heard trazodone is a good one, but will let the expert tell me. Anyone have any experience with that one? Also looking at low-dose melatonin and tension tamer on top of exercising. I wish everyone a wonderful day!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Hello, Mayvens

This is a bit late, but welcome aboard to our newest Maypoles! I'm really glad to see you both.

Congrats Casey! I'm incredibly proud of you! Thanks for all you do, chief.

Johnno, congrats to you as well, good sir! I hope things even out for you over the next few days.

So, I'm sort of caught up here. Tiny tomatoes, cell phones, tv shows, milestones, etc. I'm just happy to see the May class still active.

I'm at a whopping 60 days today. Longest 60 days of my life but grateful for each one of those days. I'm still having terrible issues with violent mood swings. It seems like this is never going to end. It's a big reason why I haven't really been around lately. All I've wanted to do is be completely alone and talk to no one. I can say that I'm not longer sleeping with the help of medication. So, that's nice. I'm having some brain fog issues as well. I'll be super glad when that passes. I'm tired of throwing my silverware away and putting the peanut butter in the fridge.

I'm going to try harder to be around here more. Hope you all have a nice day/night.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
(re fajitas) Just winged it. Little low-salt soy sauce and olive oil for some moisture, bunch of different random spices, portabella mushrooms, onions, red and green bell peppers, poblano peppers for just the tiniest bit of spice, only marinated for 30-45 minutes, then cooked on very high heat so that flavor gets seared in there, served on some homemade tortillas from the tortilla factory down the street with some fresh avocado slices. Pretty simple but delicious.
Mmm, sounds delicious.
I never saw or noticed Dr Nut soda, isn't that funny? I wonder if it was distributed everywhere.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Copper442 View Post
I'm at a whopping 60 days today. Longest 60 days of my life but grateful for each one of those days. I'm still having terrible issues with violent mood swings. It seems like this is never going to end. It's a big reason why I haven't really been around lately. All I've wanted to do is be completely alone and talk to no one. I can say that I'm not longer sleeping with the help of medication. So, that's nice. I'm having some brain fog issues as well. I'll be super glad when that passes. I'm tired of throwing my silverware away and putting the peanut butter in the fridge.
Great on 60 days, Copper! And good that your sleep has evened out. I'm having some good sleeps lately, not consistent, but it's definitely getting better. Part of the adjustment is not taking Benadryl anymore--am really happy I did that.
Hopefully the fog and mood swings will dissipate and end soon for you. Wishing you happier days ahead.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Thanks, Kale. I don't know if I ever said it, but I'm really glad to have you back around.

I really hope you are able to get consistently good sleeps soon. I know how miserable that is. It's awesome to think though that once we overcome these obstacles it is within our power to never experience them again!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Slept in way late and now I'm really starting day 70. I had said yesterday morning that I was going out to eat and then swimming with my family today but that got postponed for reasons out of my control. Nothing bad. Sometimes life just happens.

So I'm going to spend the day not doing much of nothing. Think I'll get some reading done. I do need to go buy some new pedals for my bicycle as my left one is slightly bent, has been since my landlord gave me the bike. Otherwise it's been a great bicycle so no complaints there. I've never replaced a pedal before but looked at some videos online and it seems easy enough.

Definitely going to an AA meeting again tonight.

First off, thanks to everyone for the nice words re: my milestone. I really am proud of this one, means way more to me than the usual milestones of one month, etc. With my hundreds of various day ones, as I outlined in my post on the Newcomers board this morning, it sometimes felt like I was simply not capable of getting to this day. But I did. And there was nothing magical about the approach. It boils down to just not drinking, no matter how much I wanted to at times, asking for help when I need it, and helping others when I can.

Next milestone I've got my eyes on is day 100, which just so happens to fall directly on my 41st birthday. But the most important milestone today is day 71. Same as everyday, it's important I remember to keep the focus on one day at a time.

AllieK -- I like your new Z. Maybe I'll change your name to AllieZ. Glad your daughter is coming home soon. Even in my active addiction, I never understood the appeal of drinking booze at the movies. My attention span lessens considerably when I drink plus once I break the seal I have to pee a couple of times an hour. My best drinking buddy used to make fun of my incredibly small bladder when we drank together.

nmd -- sorry you drank but glad you're right back here. As my long-winded post on the Newcomers board early this morning shows, it took me a whole lot of tries to get to this particular day one. You'll get this, I just know it. Though I do hope you decide to come in here or on the Newcomers board and posting before taking that drink next time. And you're not being a negative influence--the whole point of this forum in general and class in particular is for us to be here on the road to recovery, whatever that road may be.

Copper -- congrats on day 60!!! Proud of you for keeping on despite the obstacles. And cold peanut butter never hurt anybody.

KaleGrrl -- Dr Nut soda was mainly distributed in the Louisiana area though I also saw an old bottle once from that Pennsylvania town that I can't spell or pronounce where the groundhog comes from. The soda was definitely not nationwide. They stopped production in the mid-60s and then another company brought it back to New Orleans for a short time in the 80s after A Confederacy of Dunces was published.

Thanks again to each and every one of you for keeping me sober! Hope you all have a safe and sober Thursday. If you haven't checked in lately, please do so today. We would love to hear from you whether you're on day 77 or 1.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Congrats Casey! Have a great day and thanks for all you do for all of us. It is very helpful. I like to read the monthly threads cause I can watch you guys "growing". Hope it's ok. I'm way behind on reading mostly due to getting caught up on our farm since it's dry now. I spent yesterday in the hospital with my aunt. I will have a few words for smokers somewhere, sometime. Not looking good.

Again, congrats, great job and thank you.

Keep on keepin on!

Olivia
Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Well, the verdict is in. I will be having my ankle reconstruction surgery August 6th. The upside of all this is that it will buy me about four additional months of sober time.

Casey, be sure to let us know how your meeting goes!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good to see you, Olivia! Of course you're welcome here any time. There's strength in numbers. I've tried checking up on you a couple of times, glad you're doing ok!

Copper -- I guess it's good that the surgery is finally set. Keep us updated please. You're in my thoughts and prayers...
Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Thanks, Casey. I'll definitely be keeping you all informed.