S.C. Check-in

Old 10-31-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

checking in peeps

took a break - feel good for that

ended up in hospital after a fall - feel not so good for that LOL - but I'm perfectly fine now :bounce

good to be back - still fighting the good fight LOL

happy halloween!
D
Old 10-31-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Dee, so sorry to read about your fall. Glad you are feeling better now. I'll be having a happy halloween as its my favorite holiday!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Grr. I lost my server connection as I tried to post! This will be a very shortened version...

Let's see, I really didn't drink, I went to two AA meetings tonight, one with my sponsor, and got a commitment at one, and put selling the books off until tomorrow, with a good night's sleep under my belt. Thanks for all the support, guys. I can't express how much it helps.

Bam, Dee, Alera, Ananda, DK, Donna, Windy, best wishes for all tonight Eat some candy for me please? I forgot to buy some!!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

hugs for all of you.... I really do believe it gets better the longer you are sober. It was so nice to hear from everyone tonight!

Dee...sorry to hear about your fall and hospital stay. Please take care of your self....you post an awful lot of useful stuff and are missed when you are not around.:ghug
Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Talking

Ahaaa the secular forum with so many wonderful people here...Hello everybody.

I'm in a grateful mood tonight. I glad to be around people that respect my views as I try very hard to do the same for those here. Yea I know I can be a bit of a bother when old trauma pops up (triggering me to despise higher power concepts) and I act out on it. I know the struggle to change for the better is no easy task. But I'm working extremely hard at it.

I am so very grateful to have an opportunity to attend secular group meetings. The ongoing effort at Behavioral Health (the clinic) with their duel diagnosis program and groups has been a life saver for me. In addition to that there is place I go to that offers symptom management, also secular. My housing provider offers those groups at their rehabilitation center thats only a couple blocks away from where I live. Then there is D.R.A., its the only 12 step program that I know of which validates antagonistic or atheist members beliefs with the choice of using a personalized secular program of recovery. Why heck D.R.A. encourages all members to personalize their recovery program and that includes the 12 steps of D.R.A. Its really beautiful. And since I have stopped going to A.A. my intrusive memories from childhood trauma have lessened greatly. Wow, I was trying to conform to a program that fundamentally goes against my world view. No wonder I wasn't getting any better emotionally. Anywhoo its no cake walk down the recovery road but having the right direction with support makes the walk far less arduous.

Keep working it peeps, like Windy sez: it twerks if you twerk it.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
things as it is

Hey zencat, sounds like you are in a good place. I am really happy for you. If I may...what is D.R.A.?

Bam...I'm glad you are posting again. As to your signature, I hope you realize that we ALL qualify under that description. Think of it without a judgement...scientifically, we are all hot, steaming, stinky, goopy, bacteria-filled lumps of humanity. The trick is to dispense with judgements...like "good", "bad", "sick", "well"....we just ARE and we are all struggling to find inner happiness and peace. The perception that some have found it is just that...a perception. If they are human and living in this realm of reality, they are subject to all the same trials and tribulations we all are. The Dalai Lama has pain and struggles. Perhaps what he does not do is judge it as being good or bad.

Thank you for sharing Alera, that is a real nice exercise to change the movement of the mind. Sometimes I get stuck going over the same crap, stuck with the same conditioning. It usually takes something like what you describe to re-program the brain.

Ananda's right, desertdonna...please keep sharing your ESH...I find it very helpful as well.

Dee, glad to see ya posting again. Sorry about the fall.

SS and dk...keep it up...one day at a time...one moment at a time if necessary...Heck! that's all we really have is this present moment.

I've been real busy working way too much, but got plans to move from NY to Asheville, NC. Got to remember that it is NOT going to be the answer to all my problems because wherever I go...there I AM!!! LOL!

Hugs all around. I am so grateful to you guys and for the secular forum.

Peace
Old 11-01-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
things as it is

I just wanted to share this article by Brad Warner about the perception of Buddhists being calm people totally sucessful in finding inner peace.

Enjoy!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Arrow

Originally Posted by zendust View Post
If I may...what is D.R.A.?
Duel Recovery Anonymous is a mutual support self-help group of people that have a psychiatrical related illness and an addiction disorder. Its a safe place to share about medication issues and for me discussing openly about my use of mood stabilization medication is extremely important to my addiction treatment.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
....We walked through my entire day. We listed the stressors (good and bad) that had occurred before my urges kicked in. We then went over alternate options I had to get rid of the urges (such as HALT). From there, we went through all the steps it took once I chose to use...ranging from choosing to refill my DOC down to the smallest steps such as opening the pill bottle to putting the pills in my mouth. At each step I wrote down an alternative such as spitting the pills out, or throwing the pills down the toilet once I had filled them....

....I will admit it took a lot of work on my part, but it was so very worth it.
Thanking you Alera. That is a very important recovery tool to utilize.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
Duel Recovery Anonymous is a mutual support self-help group of people that have a psychiatrical related illness and an addiction disorder. Its a safe place to share about medication issues and for me discussing openly about my use of mood stabilization medication is extremely important to my addiction treatment.
I've only been to one of those and it was several years back. I don't think I stayed because it was in a small room and everyone was smoking. I'm extremely sensitive to nicotine and just couldn't handle it. I'm sure they're not all like that, plus now there are laws against smoking indoors. I didn't realize that they were more accepting of non-spiritual recovery. I believe I bought the book about 10 years ago, but at the time didn't realize that there were meetings that went with it. I should still have it.. somewhere!

Last edited by doorknob; 11-01-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Here is the link to: Do DRA members have to accept religious or spiritual beliefs?

I know in the book they recommend has use of a higher power but you are free to work any healthy program or plan that is best for you. Find a book that best suites your needs best if you wish.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
things as it is

Thanks for the information and link zencat. I will investigate. Sounds very interesting.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Not doing so hot right now guys....not drinking or even feeling close to it...but i know that the cause effect chain starts well before the first drink. I have to look to how to skillfully handle the effects that are manifest in my life in a way that is helpful, not hurtful.....just off kilter
Old 11-02-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

ananda, I hate that feeling. Is there anything you can think of to keep your mind busy? Googling a favorite actor, playing a video game or watching a DVD?

I find that often keeping busy will get me through those times when I feel that way.

From the SMART Recovery Toolchest

RELAPSE PREVENTION: ACTIVITIES YOU MIGHT ENJOY

CHORES AND USEFUL TASKS (such as Cleaning, Cooking, Dishwashing, Ironing, Sewing).

EXERCISES (such as Jogging, Nautilus, Walking, Aerobic Dancing, Stretching or Aerobic Exercises, Shadow Boxing, Skipping Rope, Yoga, Weightlifting).

FOOD ACTIVITIES (such as Baking, Cooking, Barbecuing, Preparing Gourmet Meals, Shopping for Food).

GAMES (such as Bridge, Checkers, Chess, Go, Jigsaw Puzzles, Monopoly, Poker, Pinochle, Scrabble, Crosswords, Anagrams).

GRAPHIC ARTS (such as Cartooning, Drawing, Lettering, Mechanical Drawing, Painting, Photography, Silkscreening).

HANDICRAFT ACTIVITIES (such as Basketmaking, Bookbinding, Crocheting, Embroidering, Knitting, Leatherworking, Dressmaking, Decoupage, Needlepoint).

HUMOROUS ACTIVITIES (such as Cartooning, Improvisation Games, Charades, Jesting, Joke-making, Playing Practical Pranks and Jokes, Punning).

MARTIAL ARTS (Akido, Jujitsu, Judo, Karate, Fencing, Wrestling).

OUTDOORS ACTIVITIES AND SPORTS (such as Birdwatching, Gardening, Crabbing, Fishing, Canoeing, Sailing, Hunting, Walking, Ice-skating, Skiing, Rowing, Hiking).

PERFORMING ARTS (such as Dancing, Ballet, Mime, Acting, Improvisation, Modern Dance, Tap Dance, Singing).

PERSONAL GROWTH (Self-help Books, Workshops, Lectures, Skills-learning, Career Development).

READING (Fiction, Novels, Plays, Poems, Nonfiction).

SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES (such as Anatomy, Biology, Herpetology, Physics, Medicine, Zoology, Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology).

SOCIALIZING ACTIVITIES (such as Conversing, Group Activities, Attending or Giving Parties, Rap Sessions).

SPECTATING (watching Movies, Plays, Sports, Pageants, Circuses).

SPORTS (such as Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Gym, Football, Hockey, Dancing, Tennis, Skating, Running, Volleyball).

STUDYING ACADEMIC SUBJECTS (such as Art History, History, Language, Math, Music, Science, Social Science).

TRADES AND CRAFTS (such as Bricklayer, Builder, Carpenter, Foreman, Factory Worker, Gardener, Mechanic, Machinist, Police Officer).

VENTING FEELINGS (such as Punching Pillows, Yelling, Talking, Writing, Expressing Good Feelings).
Old 11-02-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Thanks alera.....i have a plan now

go for coffee for an hour with friends
go grocery shoping
come home and sit out on the deck with my dogs
cook

And don't worry about packing today.....be nice to me 8

thanks so much i needed a mid-day adjustment, and getting outside in the fresh air is so important for me, as is interacting with adult friends once a day. As for shoping and bill payment...well necessary things that will make my day better tomarrow!!!! And I think i'll try to spend some time with the dogs outside in the morning...take advantage of the extra morning hour

gosh i feel better just thinking about this...
Old 11-07-2008, 10:46 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Day 8... I missed all you folks today!!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I'm still here......knuckle-draggin mouth-breathin redneck that I is.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, Windy. I'm feeling rock bottom this morning.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Ya know... This is pretty pathetic, but I think part of the reason I was getting bummed is because this forum has been so slow and so many here are female and have been posting a lot in the womens forum where I'm not supposed to be reading and I was feeling left out. Stupid penis...
Old 11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

AW DK!!!!!! I love you and miss you too...did you read myu other post yet...parinoia and grump must be in the air today...I thought you were all mad at me so i kinda slowed down on posting here...I always feel like such a hybrid thing.....I really miss talking to you all and windy....i've even grown to miss you...and i think you and i have a lot in common from stuff i read of yours on the political cafe central stuff...but i'm too shy to jump in there!

love to all my secular and nonsecular friends :ghug3