Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 1

Old 07-13-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Well today is day 38. FriYay!! The AV has whispered a few times throughout the week but I’ve noticed the volume has drastically shifted from screaming to a whisper and I’ve given it no attention! I’m awake Sober for 1 more day all I have to do is not drink today, and the rest of it will fall into place as it should cause it’s not my will carrying me!
Just for today!
Hope you all are wrapping yourselves in one more Sober day for today. Plan out your escape routes for the weekend. Line up your sober army of friends and alternate distractions for the AV! We can do this together! New folks check in to the Weekender thread, lots of support happening to carry you along.

I just finished an awesome book... “Beneath a scarlet sky” by Mark T. Sullivan-about world war 2 and written from an Italian perspective, based on a true story. I can’t tell you the last time I read a book from cover to cover and in less than a week. I was entrenched... I even shed a few tears along the way. Sooo good, if you like war stories or reading about historical events. I would never have chosen to read while drinking, but I needed to replace my itchy evening times with a distraction and WOW it has been a God send. I now need another book, so fire away with any suggestions! Have a great day, just for today!!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Hi, I’d like to join in the class of July 18 thread. I’m on Day 6 today

Yesterday was a little tough, but I rode out a strong urge to drink that lasted most of the afternoon. Posting in the newcomers forum here really helped. Everyone is so kind and supportive and encouraged me right away! So happy this morning that I didn’t drink!

I have a list of numbers from a women’s AA meeting I went to but haven’t used it yet. I feel that once I call someone it’s going to be more of a commitment to AA. Just not positive I want or even need that path but I’m thinking about it.

Has anyone here tried Women For Sobriety? That looks interesting to me, but only meets once a week here.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaigeMasters View Post

Does anyone else just feel COMPLETELY different? I mean, everything feels and looks different. I don’t even feel exactly like myself (which is a GOOD thing considering how I was feeling when I was using). Literally everything looks, feels, smells, tastes different. It’s a really strange and wonderful experience. Just had to throw that out there.
Yeah Paige. I was noticing just yesterday how things literally feel different. The sensation of touch is less dull and more sensitive.

Food is also more interesting and appealing and I can just tell that my body is digesting it better. My insides feel normal, not sour, and my body doesn't ache from the poison.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
Day 5 here. I have been trying to read and keep up with everyone's posts, but not much time to post myself all week. My work is very busy this week (which is good) and I have been to 1 meeting and 2x yoga, also connected with friends on the phone.

PaigeMasters, I also have 3 kids. How old are your kids? Mine are all teens. I'm a little nervous because I think they might all be at my house this weekend. All week it has just been me and my middle son and it has been very calm and serene, things under control. When I have all 3 here I tend to get stressed and ovewhelmed. They all eat different things, make so many messes and I'm constantly running to the grocery store trying to feed them. Anyway, I'll be sure to post over the weekend.

I can tell you that I'm NOT going to drink again. I'm getting together in a couple of weeks with my good friends from college and I've already told them just mocktails for me. I really have to remember how sick I got last time. I can never allow that to happen again. Later, all!
Hi Juno!

I also have three teenagers. I have 16 year old boy/girl twins and an 18 year old (almost 19 year old daughter who attends college and lives at home). Boy do I understand the chaos!

I can relate to everything you just said! It can be very taxing. I had to accept a while back that the grocery store is likely going to be a part of my daily routine, despite the fact that I LOATHE it. And I cannot win for meals. I have decided I don’t care though! I will make healthy meals and if they don’t like it that’s on them!

I am never going to drink again either. I used to be afraid to say that because I thought it was a maladaptive mindset and would eventually backfire. I went to AA and thought I needed to stick to the “one day at a time“ mentality. But, that really did not work for me. Since I’ve committed to never drinking again and tuning into my AV I am doing a lot better. This is the right path for me.

Update us on your weekend with the kids.

Happy Friday and wishing every one of you a sober weekend.

Paige
Old 07-13-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Have a great weekend! Stay strong, Class of July!

Catch you on the flip side, when it'll be day 12 for me, closing in fast on 2 weeks!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

I had a great week! I even started walking again. Mornings without a hangover are the best. I wish I could always remember that. And I’m a much more tolerant mother to my two kids when I’m not feeling like garbage. AND I started their back to school shopping today, and for the first time I can actually keep it all strait in my head and I’m not stuck doing it at the very last minute.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Isabel8

not much happening here this weekend Karen

D
Old 07-13-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Weekend

Ahh man ! It’s the weekend. I can never detox during the week. I’mma look like Pookie in New Jack City all weekend 😜 anyway, good luck to you all. I’ll keep posting but hope to be A1 on Monday. 🤙
Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isabel8 View Post
Hi, I’d like to join in the class of July 18 thread. I’m on Day 6 today

Yesterday was a little tough, but I rode out a strong urge to drink that lasted most of the afternoon. Posting in the newcomers forum here really helped. Everyone is so kind and supportive and encouraged me right away! So happy this morning that I didn’t drink!

I have a list of numbers from a women’s AA meeting I went to but haven’t used it yet. I feel that once I call someone it’s going to be more of a commitment to AA. Just not positive I want or even need that path but I’m thinking about it..

This spoke to me... I had a really strong urge this afternoon, being Friday and all... I thought about going to the store but I drove by it instead. Decided to come home, eat something and drink multiple glasses of water to fill me up. Then the urge dissipated. I was so relieved! I will be going to bed with a clear head again tonight. Grateful. Thnx for your post.

You might want to check out ACA meetings... I enjoyed them when I went.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in real quick before hitting the sack. I'm tired but strangely upbeat at the same time! My son successfully finished a programming course this week, so I'm feeling kind of happy about that.

PaigeMasters, our kids are almost the same ages! Mine are 15, 17 and 19 (oldest is a girl in college, younger two are boys). It is really chaos at times. I noticed when all 3 are at my house I'm running the dishwasher 2, even 3 times a day. Right now I just have the 2 boys at home and have noticed an uptick in the dishes even going from 1 to 2 kids. When all 3 are home that's when things really start to get crazy... but for now I'm hanging in there! I also LOATHE grocery shopping... I can totally relate to that! And yet I find myself there more nights than not. I just went tonight and surprisingly, I didn't find it so bad. That's a win!

Lgrhe - I also did school supply shopping last weekend (right before my dreaded relapse, in fact). I was feeling so ahead of the game! To be fair, one of my kids starts school in July (he's in special ed and goes mostly year round) so it was time to go, but what a nice feeling getting in there before the crowds take over and you're fighting for that last binder/folder or pack of pencils on the shelves, LOL...

I hope everyone else is doing fine! I am committed to not drinking and feeling pretty upbeat about it. Happy weekend, everyone!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning (especially to those just reading the boards like i used to before i signed up here)

Congrats to anyone on a specific milestone 24h 1 week month etc keep doing your thing ppl x

5 years ago was my ground zero and i wish i had this back then

Don't be too hard on yourself you're exactly where your meant to be

Relapse is a part of addiction not part of recovery - Words to live by
Old 07-13-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Do your best

Listening to this i am waiting for the sun to rise in 3 minutes
Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Dude. How do I get there

Honestly a friend asked how he could help. I said if he went to queens and got me a sugar cookie it would.

I want to be July.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-14-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

It's a lovely Saturday out there today. I quite fancy a ride out to the coast.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:32 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone hope everyone is ok.

I woke up this morning thinking I'd had a relapse.... I had a very vivid dream, and then dreamt I'd woken up and that the relapse was real!

I remember the crushing feeling of disappointment, that sense of 'oh no' and feeling bad that I'd have to throw my sobriety pendant away.

Then I really woke up and realised it really was just a dream! Hallelujah!

Has anyone else had using /relapse dreams?

Its made me realise how grateful I am that I am still clean and THIS TIME ITS FOR GOOD.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 6 here.

Juno and Paige-My wife hated grocery shopping too, but there are a couple options around here now to have a grocery order delivered to the house. Might be worth checking in to.

Happy weekend to all! Off to work on the fence.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday,
Hope everyone has a wonderful, sober Saturday!
I’ve noticed that my biggest triggers are any minor conflict with people and boredom. As far as conflict, my drunk way was to simply avoid people (very maladaptive). When bored, I’d simply drink more.
I am now trying to view conflict as a part of the human condition and not to blow things out of proportion. Boredom is easier as I am now engaged in more exercise and reading.
Anyone else experience these same triggers?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Hi everyone and happy weekend! I have had the busiest week. Paying for my days off. Ten days today! I'm double digits!!
My biggest trigger so far is being hungry or thirsty. I've started taking a glass of tea for the ride home from work. Very helpful! And if dinner is going to be late, I go ahead and make something good anyway. My daughter-in-law does most of the cooking, but she doesn't mind, I think she understands. Anyway, I hope I don't end up fat! But fat is better than drunk, and besides, I am thinking this will fade with time.
I work all day tomorrow. I'm off Tuesday though. I hope everyone is having a great day.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Day 13. I’ve had a few recommendations from the AV, but remain unpersuaded.

Went for a hike with a friend today. I’m in terrible shape. LOL
Old 07-14-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cando24 View Post
Happy Saturday,
Hope everyone has a wonderful, sober Saturday!
I’ve noticed that my biggest triggers are any minor conflict with people and boredom. As far as conflict, my drunk way was to simply avoid people (very maladaptive). When bored, I’d simply drink more.
I am now trying to view conflict as a part of the human condition and not to blow things out of proportion. Boredom is easier as I am now engaged in more exercise and reading.
Anyone else experience these same triggers?
Hi Cando24. I can relate. Triggers for me are boredom, stress, and hunger. I'm doing my best to try to keep busy with other things to avoid the boredom trigger. I've been drinking water like crazy when I get hungry to avoid that trigger, but the stress of work... I'm still working on... so far this past week was ok. Cheering for both of us!! All the best!