Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 1

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Elwood -- welcome!

Banjoist -- I haven't experienced that. Hope it doesn't last too long. BTW - like the name. I assume you play banjo?

Day 12 here. Busy day at work and then I'm going to hit the gym later this afternoon.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Good day all. Day 16 here. I've only had a few times drinking in 2018, but here I am on day 16. Sometimes I think that I deserve to say I have more days than that, but I don't. The last that I had 16 days ago, has left me really just now starting to get over it. I guess the older you get..... Anyway, it really is true about it taking a bigger toll on you after years(decades for me) of drinking and getting older. These last 2 weeks have really been a big influence on me for realizing that I can never think of moderation or 1 won't kill me , again. To the older ones in the group, I'm sure you'd agree. Just wanted to put that out there.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Good day all. Day 16 here. I've only had a few times drinking in 2018, but here I am on day 16. Sometimes I think that I deserve to say I have more days than that, but I don't. The last that I had 16 days ago, has left me really just now starting to get over it. I guess the older you get..... Anyway, it really is true about it taking a bigger toll on you after years(decades for me) of drinking and getting older. These last 2 weeks have really been a big influence on me for realizing that I can never think of moderation or 1 won't kill me , again. To the older ones in the group, I'm sure you'd agree. Just wanted to put that out there.
I used to never get hungover from just 4 beers. Once 50 rolled by...

I feel you.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rustygolf View Post
Elwood -- welcome!

Banjoist -- I haven't experienced that. Hope it doesn't last too long. BTW - like the name. I assume you play banjo?

Day 12 here. Busy day at work and then I'm going to hit the gym later this afternoon.
Yes, I play some would probably root for me to quit that as well
Old 07-24-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is well! Many firsts to deal with. The AV is such a sneak! Trying to convince me that a bonfire can’t be enjoyable without beer, bbq’s are less tasty, etc. In the past, I’ve caved. Now I tell it that it’s a liar and remind myself that I did very little but DRINK.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

It is baffling to me how one part of the brain can convince another part of the brain with rewritten history and minimized consequences.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

I keep chugging along with little anxiety and very few cravings. I am still concerned that I will be lulled into complacency... but I am also thinking that I will continue to reinforce my sober mindset as time goes on to the point the sobriety becomes a permanent habit. (Yes, yes, one day at a time... I know. )

Day 10... approaching my longest sober streak of 12 days earlier this year. Otherwise, the longest streak since I started drinking regularly was in 2003 or so when I went about a month. Looking to crush some records!!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

The hangovers got much worse for me as I got older. I read recently about something I can't remember the name of, but it's where for most people every time you make it through withdrawals, the next time is worse. So people like me who have had periods of sobriety followed by relapse over and over can get to the point where it gets deadly to withdraw.
That really put a scare in me, and has helped when I've had moments of thinking about 'just one more'. I know I'll have to recover again, I can't possibly work and live happily when I'm drinking, and I'm not sure I can physically manage another recovery. So I just have to do what it takes to get happy being sober, because it's this or a nasty death for me.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Banjoist View Post
Yes, I play some would probably root for me to quit that as well
Nice! I really should dig mine out more often. I took it up 3-4 years ago but haven't gotten it out for a while.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! It's very much appreciated! I thought it would be a much more emotional experience for me when I finally "crossed the line" and asked for help. But, honestly, I felt surprisingly calm today. Maybe it's relief. Maybe the emotions will hit me later. Maybe not. Regardless, I have no doubt that there will be some rough times coming, but I'm confident things will improve as long as I don't let my guard down when my AV tries to trick me.

Sober369, I completely agree with what you said yesterday, that you love hearing from folks who had quit and all of the good things that have happened in their lives as a result. Me too! It's so encouraging to read those posts, and reinforces the feeling that I've finally made the right decision.

Today is day 2 for me. As some of you are doing and have suggested, I'm going to do my best to check in once a day. Stay strong, we can do this together!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

This is day 4 for me.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:37 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Still here- Day 5 today. On holiday with the family in France and was just thinking last night how I would normally have been about 8 beers in after dinner. I have been feeling quite moody the last days, and definitely irritable. I am starting to realise that certain friends back home are not a good influence to be around once I get back. My best friend is an alcoholic, but definitely doesn't think he is. I guess we have reinforced each others drinking over the years, but never really had an honest conversation about it.

I am wondering how I can fill the void that all the years of drinking has become. The upside is that there are so many things I have wanted to do that I never did, because my AV was always planning the next drinking session. I am also accepting that I am going to need to try to get some support when I get home. I have just always been very nervous about attending an AA meeting. I think I am ready to look into all of that.

Congrats to Repeat1234 for 4 days sober.

TeeJayVerm - I have similar sentiments. I once managed a couple of months sober, but it was a few years ago. I am also ready to take this seriously and beat some of my records.

Thank you Dee for your unwavering support.

I wish you all a positive, constructive, sober day.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Good morning Julyers! Great stuff happening!! I love reading back through the victories and the defeats - either way they help me to evaluate myself and strive for one more day!! Today is 50 days FREE! It’s been a rollercoaster but I am taking the ride! When I’m feeling overwhelmed I slow down like the coaster chugging up the hill, each click is forward motion and brings me closer to another Sober day! Keep chugging Julyers! We weren’t promised easy but we were promised serenity and peace if we keep on riding. One day at a time, 24 more! 💕
Old 07-25-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats minion- and congarst to everyone hittign a milestone today be it day one or day 50

ee, I thought I'd never fill the void but there's just not enough hours in a day or years in a decade for me to do everything I want to do now - I think that's a pretty great place to be

D
Old 07-25-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday everyone. I found myself thinking of all the events in the future I need to not drink at -- especially holidays and travel. But then reminded myself just to worry about today. Today I'm good.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I've been struggling with a relapse since the end of May... Haven't been able to get more than a few days. I get sad when I think about weekend trips that I've taken that were less fun because I was sneaking bottles around and secretly feeling dizzy and sick.
Today, my husband and I are starting Whole30 to jumpstart our new focus on wellness. I'm excited to start being a non-drinker today. I've taken so many drinks because I felt like I had to... I hated it and hated myself for being controlled by it. It's a new, clean, healthy day for me. I just don't have to do it anymore.
Thanks to everyone for posting, it's good to not be alone in the journey!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Welcome Lipstuck. I had not heard of Whole30 before, but I just read about it. Might be time to try.

Day 17 here. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

July 15 was my Day 1, haven't had any physical problems, sleeping better, but man, AV got it's teeth into me today. Urge surfing and other distractions didn't help, I felt like I was just being torn up. I even started making plans - well, I don't want to drink all weekend, so maybe just today, maybe I can drink for a day after every 10 days sober, etc. etc. etc. My brain was just spinning like crazy! I'm not sure what got me home safely but I'm here and thankful, but what can I do to better prepare? I feel like I escaped by a hair - never knew how scary that beast can be
Old 07-25-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

I can't believe I have been sober for almost an entire month! Time sure is flying!

Twenty seven mornings of waking up without a hangover, worrying about my behaviour, hating myself and my pathetic life and reeking like a barmaid's apron.

I'm going to write a special thread when I hit my month, and the journey so far, and I am really looking forward to it
Old 07-25-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lascaux

sometimes in the early days it was all I could do to simply stay sober. It needn't always be graceful, y'know?

Its probably good for the future tho to think a little on why the AV was so loud today? Any HALTS (Hungry Angry Lonely Tired) ?

Knowing why can help next time.

D