Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 1

Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, gonna join this group to help me stop drinking again. I recently had 8 months off it but fell back into it. And went pretty hard at it this time. Just looking for some support for the first while and hoping to give support too. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

You got this DoubleDee!

Badge
Old 07-10-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Went for a walk in the sun, luckily it has cooled down a little so it was very pleasant.

Went to a local art and crafts shop to buy some watercolour paints and a sketchpad. I've always been awful at art but I thought, why the hell not try it. I've always thought watercolour looks beautiful and I need something to occupy my new free time.

Even if it looks like a three year old did it at least it is something fun to do
Old 07-10-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
nmd

nmd=You know there's alcohol in light beers, right? Just kidding
Bobdrop, ha, could have fooled me. :-) As much as i'd like to pour my wifes lite beer out (because she drinks too much of it), i restrain myself. I cant make that decision for her
Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I took my last drink last Wednesday afternoon. It will be 6 days this afternoon. Friday, payday, is the biggest upcoming test for my willpower.

Nice to see a fellow WNYer staying sober, nmd!
Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

nmd-LOL, there's a vodka bottle in my cabinet. Wife loves the vodka, but she can stop after 2.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

I’m back.

I’m back. I was hoping to be class of June. But my Dad died on June 11. I did ok, at first, but fell/jumped off the wagon twice. It didn’t help. And it made the next few days worse. This is Day 3. I’m using Antabuse again to help.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Lrghe but welcome back
you too Doubledee

D
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Lgrhe, my father just passed, too. So sorry, I know how awful it feels. My boss gave me a whole week off, and it helped. Actually, including weekends it was ten days. On the fifth day, I quit drinking. He had gotten so very old and sick, and I know he's in a better place now. But, it's still hard. Big hugs to you!

I am at one week! OMG!! I would never have guessed two weeks ago that I would be at one week today. Very short period, I know. I have to do it 52 more times to get a year! But, it really is one day at a time. All I can do is stay sober today, and plan how I'll do it again tomorrow.

Not to be a whiner, but I have poison ivy! It's making me crazy! Going to take a shower and cover myself in calamine lotion. I took a benedryl. I hate to take that, because when I was drinking I used it as a way to keep from drinking too much. I would take a benedryl about 8 pm, and it would put me to sleep before I had a chance to get too snookered. Also helped with the allergy part. I would get so it was hard to breathe when I drank. Sick way to live!

But tonight I needed it to stop itching, and that's different, so I think it's okay.

Welcome to all our new people. I am so glad you're here! I look forward to hearing more from all of you.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I dont know if this is considered falling off the sober train or not. In my brain I think I consider all my days so far all sober. 2 days ago I bought a 12 pack of beer really my excuse was im board. That nice little voice in my head took and bought the beer. I drank 3 in about 3 hours i felt nothing no buzz nothing. I looked at the beer and just felt sick and felt dumb for even buying it. I took the rest and tossed it in the garbage. I really had no desire to drink and i kept thinking this isnt me anymore. Is that considered falling off the wagon?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

nmd and Bobdrop, I have family who keep booze in the house, too. How do you deal with it? It's my daughter-in-law who lives with me, along with my son and their three children. Fortunately, she keeps nasty apple beer stuff. Hard cider sodas. Sounds disgusting, but sometimes I find myself looking at them, counting them, wondering what the heck is wrong with a person who takes two weeks to drink a six pack.
One way to look at it is seeing the difference between her having an occasional yucky drink without enough alcohol in it to even get a real drinker started, and me, who would have drank all of them and then been sad that there wasn't more. Maybe even made the dangerous trek out for more.
It's two totally different things, her drinking vs. mine.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hey Drole! Yes, drinking is falling off the wagon. If you don't get drunk, or drink as much as you use to, it's not at all unusual.
In fact, people in recovery say that the relapse starts before the first drink. When I got sober again, I tried to think back to last time and where I lost track of my recovery before I drank again.
How long had you been without a drink? Are you thinking about drinking again?
I hope you can get right back to recovery! Let us know how you're doing, maybe we can be a support for you.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Hi folks! I'm feeling pretty calm and peaceful on Day 2. Had a busy day at work and then forced myself to go to yoga and was sooooo happy I did. The teacher was someone I hadn't really had classes with before and I really enjoyed his style and sense of humor. My computer is about to die (battery wise) so I'll keep it short and sweet!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Hey Drole! Yes, drinking is falling off the wagon. If you don't get drunk, or drink as much as you use to, it's not at all unusual.
In fact, people in recovery say that the relapse starts before the first drink. When I got sober again, I tried to think back to last time and where I lost track of my recovery before I drank again.
How long had you been without a drink? Are you thinking about drinking again?
I hope you can get right back to recovery! Let us know how you're doing, maybe we can be a support for you.
I hadn't had a beer in 15 days then drank the 3 beers now on day 3 since then. The 3 beers were 12 oz ones i used to slame a 4 pack of 16 oz beers within about 20 minutes then continued usaly lost count. I thought about drinking alot the first few days but i dont even think about it anymore. It was just a stange thing that i bought a 12 pack. Its weird how sick I felt while drinking a few beers it was like i was allergic and my body and mind didnt want it. Wasn't even hard to toss them out.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by YuriO View Post
I took my last drink last Wednesday afternoon. It will be 6 days this afternoon. Friday, payday, is the biggest upcoming test for my willpower.

Nice to see a fellow WNYer staying sober, nmd!
Congrats on your 6 days! Same here, good to see someone also from the area
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Lgrhe and Sober369, if you can believe this, my father just passed away too- on 6/27. I definitely used it as an excuse to get obliterated. Funny thing- my dad died a sober alcoholic. One of the MANY reasons I decided to stop drinking was that I knew he wouldn’t want me doing this to myself.

So sorry for both of your losses. It’s been a painful time for me.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:10 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Paige, Lgrhe and Sober I am so sorry for your losses!! I lost my Dad 11 years ago but this week have been given devastating news about my beautiful Mum.
Am on day 2 after reconnecting here Friday.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Just checking in. Day 4 of my road trip to Cornwall and I'm having a great time being sober. Camping trips always used to mean lots of drinking, waking up with a vile hangover. I think this is the first trip I haven't drank, and I love it. I've slept so well and loved waking up in the morning to the fresh sea breeze with the whole day ahead.

The first day I arrived, the AV was very strong. As we went to the supermarket to stock up on food it was sneakily trying to convince me just a few beers would be fine with the bbq. I had a massively wobbly moment. I stuck firm to NO and it slowly subsided and I'm so glad I made that decision. I know only too well where it would have lead. Since then it's been quiet and I'm enjoying every sober moment, present.

A slight challenge coming later as I'm meeting my best friend who I don't see very often. She has no idea of how bad my drinking problem got, it's also her husband's 40th birthday today so I'm expecting she will have plans to go drinking and celebrate. I won't be drinking alcohol but I know I will need to explain myself.

Hope everyone is hanging in there!
Old 07-11-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 3 here. Interesting reading this morning. Drole, I hear ya, but, the 3 beers is falling off. The thought of getting away with it once always leads to escalation for me. Never wanted to believe it, but that nasty rationalization process has been a killer for me.

All the talk of losing dads is sad. Lost mine 22 years ago. I wasn't even that close to my dad, but the finality of it can be overwhelming. Sorry for your losses. Actually brings something else to mind. I have worked a little here and there for about 20 years on genealogy. Nothing serious, but for the last year or so it has gotten very serious. It makes me sad now that practically everyone in my parents generation is now gone and I realize that I should have listened more and asked more questions. My mother is the only one left and she is 90 and doesn't remember that much and always had a problem with the truth anyway. I guess what I'm getting at after all that rambling is, don't lose opportunities to learn about your family's past. You will regret it. Also leads to another ramble. When I go, I don't want to be remembered for being a drunk, I want to be remembered for being the person that was strong enough to beat the addiction. Alright, climbing down off my box now

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Good Morning,
Isn’t it great to wake up and know what you did last night? Think about that when that sneaky SOB AV sneaks up on you.