Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 1

Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Still dry in July...16 days dry! I haven't made it this far in 3 years...now to stay dry through the remainder of July and forever.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Day 7 today. Falling asleep is still a challenge. Passing out was my old way of doing so. Still, feels so great to wake up feeling alert before the alarm even goes off. I have a bonus hour this morning! Usually I wouldn't have the time I've had to read all these posts.
I thank each and every one of you for sharing your stories and helping this feel like I'm not alone. I am one of many facing the struggle to be my sober self. I have a new excitement for what that sober future holds. I know very well what the drunk future holds and I reject it! Hope feels really good.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Checking in - day 5. I rode my motorcycle to work today which was great, and something I can't do after drinking the night before.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I’ve been a fit bit wearer since December. It tracks everything from sleep, steps, heart rate, etc. I’ve been noticing since I stopped drinking that my daily resting heart rate is considerably lower than my drinking days. It took me a while to figure this out. I looked at the pattern over the last 7 months and the times I “tried” to stop drinking (on my own, before I found SR) my heart rate was the lowest. I found it interesting so I’m sharing. It’s something measurable that shows alcohol isn’t healthy. I’m off to another clear headed day... enjoying these days!

P.s. I went to dinner with a friend last night. It was the first time I was able to order w soda water, while she devoured 2 glasses of wine. I had a split thought that I wanted one too... but I enjoyed my soda water and still had a great time! It gave me hope that I can continue this journey!

Happy Tuesday all!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi all. Checking in on Day 3 here. I have started some meditation exercises which seems to reduce the anxiety. Have a good day everyone.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Well done guys

That’s me done for another day. Hope
I sleep a a bit better today, I’ve been a grumpy bugger today due to not enough sleep. But a sober grumpy bugger at least!

I’m not counting days but I am looking forward to everything getting easier

Glad I didn’t have to drink alcohol today. Going to bed sober is the best
Old 07-17-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone on your milestones
Welcome Pinky - any ideas on what you might do differently this time?

D
Old 07-17-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 3 and had a good night's sleep and no anxiety... although 'The Voice' talked to me couple of times today. A perfect Summer day in Chicago helps.

I need to slap the FitBit back on, take some walks, etc. starting tomorrow. I'll also make sure to check back here tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I had a good, busy day off. Got a lot done. I agree with whoever said it's not a good idea to load up on too much to do, though. I feel so overwhelmed sometimes when I think of all I need to get done. I am trying to prioritize.
First thing is stay sober. Everything else can wait if it needs to. I went to an aa meeting, got my car repaired, bills paid, grocery shopping and even cut the grass! Really too much for one day and now I'm super tired. Going to watch some tv and fall asleep.
I am sleeping so much better now.
Have a great night everyone!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Can’t say I’ve been super productive at work this week... I admit, I’m just doing enough at my job currently to get by. but I’m focusing more on working not to drink. I fought off the voice again today around lunch time, but I did not give in. My work today was not to drink... my job will be there tomorrow.

Good night everyone.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Morning all

Nice waking up sober. I hear what people are saying about working hard and priotising staying sober. I think I’m being a selfish git at present I’m so focused on staying sober (unlike when I was drinking and I was so loving and giving hahahahaha)

I’m working today til three then at home 3-6 (my real danger zone). Staying indoors at this time is really helping me. I’m safe at home and it helps take the fear away

I’m glad I don’t have to drink alcohol today. I’m glad I’ve woken up sober and can go to bed sober. Nobody will force me to drink, and if I don’t have the first drink then I’m safe

Have a good day everyone
Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Today turned out to be my biggest struggle yet (day 7). Funny thing is there was no particular reason it should have been hard. I just really wanted a drink badly. I fought it for seriously like 5 hours straight. I finally won. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I need to restructure my after work routine, that must be my big trigger.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 10 here.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

The hour or so after work is my biggest trigger, too. In my old town we had meetings at 5:30 and that was a big help. Here they don't start until 8. Still helps, but not that go-to thing. I try to get a little snack around 4 and I take a big glass of tea with me when I leave. That helps some. I can read SR posts from my phone, but I get so busy I often don't do it. Praying helps, too. Trying to focus on my number one priority, not drinking, for a few minutes before the end of the day.
Today is two weeks! It's getting easier. I know from experience though that I can never just forget about it. Last time I relapsed I had over four months. I've heard of others relapsing after many years. Got to keep it first forever!
But, just for today, too. Kind of a paradox. But, just for today, my number one thing is not to drink.
Happy Wednesday everyone!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Morning all. Slept like a log last night. I mean, did not even wake up once. It was glorious. Congrats on all of the milestones and welcome to those new.

I read a comment a few pages back about doing too much self-improvement too soon in sobriety. I think that is one of the things that has sabotaged me in the past. Being a perfectionist, I thought that not only am I going to stop drinking, but I will also hit the gym 5 days a week, begin a low carb meal plan, blah, blah, blah. Of course, I didn’t cut myself any slack and set myself up for too much too soon.

Today, the only thing I have to do perfect today is.... not drink. If I fail that, then no other positive goals are even possible.

Last edited by Boracraze; 07-18-2018 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-18-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DebT View Post
Today turned out to be my biggest struggle yet (day 7). Funny thing is there was no particular reason it should have been hard. I just really wanted a drink badly. I fought it for seriously like 5 hours straight. I finally won. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I need to restructure my after work routine, that must be my big trigger.
DebT... today will be better!! Way to fight through!! Yes, I get it. The after work routine got me so many times over and over again!! A plan will help! For me, I hit a meeting on my way home instead of fanaticising the thought of a quick stop to the discontent store (that what I call it now). I am finding that a meeting sets my head in the right place for the evening, recharges my resolute battery to finish the day sober! It’s just my plan and not for all but a plan to stay sober is for all! So set one in place and follow it through... do something different. Have a great Sober day today!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Good morning all. Day 10 here.
WTG Bobdrop... 10 and more! 💕
Old 07-18-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Smile Day One Complete

Day one done! Brain working this morning...that’s a great sign!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
The hour or so after work is my biggest trigger, too. In my old town we had meetings at 5:30 and that was a big help. Here they don't start until 8. Still helps, but not that go-to thing. I try to get a little snack around 4 and I take a big glass of tea with me when I leave. That helps some. I can read SR posts from my phone, but I get so busy I often don't do it. Praying helps, too. Trying to focus on my number one priority, not drinking, for a few minutes before the end of the day.
Today is two weeks! It's getting easier. I know from experience though that I can never just forget about it. Last time I relapsed I had over four months. I've heard of others relapsing after many years. Got to keep it first forever!
But, just for today, too. Kind of a paradox. But, just for today, my number one thing is not to drink.
Happy Wednesday everyone!
Congrats on 2 weeks Sober369 you’re doing it!! Yes!! A plan it key! Just for today works, even if it is just for this moment, 1 minute, one hour! Keep that focus! We will not drink today! It does get easier but some days will still be hard... just had a few slump days and holy heck they were challenging and tested my resolve but I’m just living in today, trusting my higher power to carry me and my stupid will through! For today, not my will but God’s right now! Today we will not drink! We are stronger together! 💕
Old 07-18-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boracraze View Post
Morning all. Slept like a log last night. I mean, did not even wake up once. It was glorious. Congrats on all of the milestones and welcome to those new.

I read a comment a few pages back about doing too much self-improvement too soon in sobriety. I think that is one of the things that has sabotaged me in the past. Being a perfectionist, I thought that not only am I going to stop drinking, but I will also hit the gym 5 days a week, begin a low carb meal plan, blah, blah, blah. Of course, I didn’t cut myself any slack and set myself up for too much too soon.

Today, the only thing I have to do perfect today is.... not drink. If I fail that, then no other positive goals are even possible.
I love this Boracraze!! Yes!! The only thing we all have to do perfect today is not drink!! Thank you for this encouragement this morning!! I shall carry this today! 💕