Notices

A little over 24 hours in

Old 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little over 24 hours in

Hello All. I took my last drink on my birthday yesterday around 6:30 pm. Woke up this morning and began Librium. I took a dose at 8:30, 12:30, and 4:30. 25mg each. I was a heavy beer drinker, 10-18 beers a day, almost everyday for the last 4 years. The Librium helps a lot, but I am concerned about my sleep tonight. I should have taken another dose at 8:30pm, but am puting it off so that maybe it will help me sleep better if I wait a little bit?? I am a bit irritable, and still have a slightly high heart rate. This may be from smoking though. (Another hurdle I need to get over). I'm going to go to a Womens only meeting on Saturday morning. I'm dedicated this time around. I have a 4 year old son that needs me, and I haven't been the best I could be to him due to my drinking. Anyway, that's my first post, If anyone can advise on waiting until just before bed to take the last dose of Librium I would appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no knowledge but it sounds serious, can you call a local medical line and inquire?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I mean that I'm not aware, so as a precaution I would look up your local medical/healthline and explain the situation and ask for advice
Old 07-26-2018, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How many hours past 8:30 is it where you are
Old 07-26-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is prescribed at specific intervals to safely withdraw from alcohol so I would seek medical advice
Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in California
Not sure why the time is showing so differently.
I called my cousin who is a nurse and he said to just go ahead and take the 4th dose. I'm supposed to do 4 doses today, 3 tomorrow, 2 the next day, and finally down to one. I feel ok, just am having a little anxiety that I won't be able to sleep.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Adiosbudlight,

I detoxed with librium and it really messed my cardiac rhythm. I had to stay in the hospital two more days and get an ECG, I would check with the doctor who prescribe the Librium. I slept like a baby on it.

Best of luck and get to that meeting
Old 07-27-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi adiosbudlight - Welcome

Our rules don't allow us to give out medical advice so if you want to know about dosages and when to take them, the very best thing is to check with your Dr.

Hope you're doing well.

D
Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you have decided to get sober. My drs have been key to my mental health in sobriety an d meds have helped me. Following heir advice is key for me. It took a lot longer than one day for any of my issues, physical and in all ways, to begin to resolve themselves. The only way I could really begin that process was to stay sober.

Wishing you a sober day two.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi All
Slept pretty well. To be honest, I feel really good this morning. I woke up a little hungry, so I had some yogurt and fruit. Still tons of water and green tea. No shakes. Heart rate is lower than yesterday when I woke up. On a scale of 1-10, by irritability is at about 2. Any other day, it would be at a 9 at least until I had a beer. I've been taking a super B complex vitamin for 2 days, and I think that's helping as well. The weekend is here though, and that's when I used to drink the most. Im going to muscle through it though. I haven't felt this good physically in a long time, and I'm loving it. I still have a way to go though, so I'm taking it just a few hours at a time.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

P.s
My time stamps are showing 4:03 pm, but it's actually 9:03 am where I'm at
Old 07-27-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Have you considered a medical detox. You can ask your doctor or go to the ER. They can help with the withdrawals and you will be sent home in a few hours. The first 3-5 days are really hard. Since you have a child you might need the help.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad to have you here Adios, have a great day
Old 07-27-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AdiosBudLight View Post
Hi All
Slept pretty well. To be honest, I feel really good this morning. I woke up a little hungry, so I had some yogurt and fruit. Still tons of water and green tea. No shakes. Heart rate is lower than yesterday when I woke up. On a scale of 1-10, by irritability is at about 2. Any other day, it would be at a 9 at least until I had a beer. I've been taking a super B complex vitamin for 2 days, and I think that's helping as well. The weekend is here though, and that's when I used to drink the most. Im going to muscle through it though. I haven't felt this good physically in a long time, and I'm loving it. I still have a way to go though, so I'm taking it just a few hours at a time.
Waking up hungry is a really good sign that you are recovering, along with the lower heart rate. Hopefully you will still consider medical help if things get worse, but it sounds like you are doing what you need to do to get and stay sober. Muscling through the withdrawals makes sense, but you might need more to continue it stay sober. I have buckled down many times to get through the withdrawals, but that is only the beginning to long-term sobriety. If you are like most of us, tough times are coming. What support do you have to get through those times? John
Old 07-27-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on 2 days, that is really fantastic. I second John's suggestion to start thinking about the longer term and what you will do to remain sober. Getting through withdrawals, while a big hurdle and a great first step, is only the beginning. You mentioned a meeting tomorrow, that is definitely a good idea, as is sticking around here. Wishing you all the best.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My Dr determined that a inpatient medical detox was not necessary, and since I have my son at home, I can't be admitted for too long - hence, the script for Librium. I have a dear friend that stayed over with me the last two nights, and works close by, so she checks in on me throughout the day. I literally have very little anxiety, no sweats or shakes. I was able to drive my son to his summer camp this morning, and stayed to watch him play for a while. I cried a bit because I realized how much I've been missing in his life. Usually, I'd drop him off, go home, and have a beer. I feel so much better today, and I'm hopeful that tomorrow will be better. I do have a few close friends who are not drinkers, and my employer is awesome. It has been suggested to me that I start with women's meetings in the beginning as there is less distraction.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a lot of good things going for you ie. friends and family. Think of those things when you think about picking up that beer. Good Luck. John
Old 07-27-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For the time stamp: Go to "User CP" (top left of this page)

Down under "Edit Options," scroll down, there is a Date & Time Options box 2/3 of the way down the page.

Here's the link

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...do=editoptions

Make sure you click, "Save" at the bottom of the page when you've picked your timezone.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello All! Day 3 and I am feeling great! Slept like a baby last night, and have taken no medication this morning. I had 2 bottles of O'Doul's in my fridge that I had been drinking last time I tried to get sober. I poured them out last night. It felt good. I was a little groggy this morning though. Don't know why, but maybe because I OVERslept. I was able to enjoy a cup of coffee for the first time in months. I hadn't been able to drink coffee for the longest as it would increase my already elevated heart rate that I would wake up with everyday due to withdrawal. I did not mention before that I am currently in the midst of filing for divorce from my husband, and he and I still live together. He is not supportive at all, and is extremely selfish, which is why I've had my best friend coming to stay with me at night and check on me during the day. He literally doesn't care. He came home with an 18 pack of Bud Light last night, and I just ignored him. He said, "What? You're not drinking anymore?" I said, "Not today." His reply was, "Oh, so now you're better than everyone else?" My reply was, "No, just better than the person I was 3 days ago." He is not as bad of an alcoholic as I am, but still has a serious problem. But that is HIS problem. I can only work on me. As he drank and drank, I noticed how annoying he was, and thought to myself...."****..was I that obnoxious too??" Anyway, I had zero urge to drink, and just held my little boy tight and watched movies all night. I felt good about it. One thing I've noticed in the last couple days is that food tastes different - better. Also, my first thought this morning was not to make a 7-11 run for an 18 pack, but to make a run to Home Depot to get some new pots and plants to garden with my son. He likes to play in the dirt I realize that I'm still only three days in, but I feel so good, and my brain is so less clouded. Her's to a happy day 3.. I'm off to Home Depot! Have a beautiful day everyone!
Old 07-28-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats. It only gets better. I am on Day 6 now, and feel so much better. I am taking one day at a time.