Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 1

Old 07-11-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss too Sober369 and Paige.

Hi Drole - if it was me yes I'd have fallen off the wagon and I'd start my day count again.

Not because I want to punish myself but because I need to be honest - I ould have rationalised for the Olympics.

If I start disregarding drinking again, even if its only 3 beers, where does it stop?

just my 02 of course. It's your journey

D
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Day 10 today. No more single digits for me.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Sober369-I would like to say that having booze in the house has not been an issue, but it has, including this last weekend. I would not have gone out to buy it, but it was right there and I was rationalizing again. Then the stressful part is getting it replaced the next day so she doesn't notice. Not happening again!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Sober369-I would like to say that having booze in the house has not been an issue, but it has, including this last weekend. I would not have gone out to buy it, but it was right there and I was rationalizing again. Then the stressful part is getting it replaced the next day so she doesn't notice. Not happening again!
That makes it difficult. My wife always has beer in the fridge, and it looks good sometimes. It would be more out of mind if it were out of sight. LOL
Old 07-11-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
Day 10 today. No more single digits for me.
Yayayayaya! Congrats to you!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Day 13

Hello everyone. I just joined this website after deciding 13 days ago to stop drinking. I have tried in the past but never really felt like I was committed. This time it seems different. I asked my Dr. for a prescription for Antabuse-medication used to make a person sick if they drink while on the medication. This tool has been helpful as I had serious cravings and was feeling sorry for myself until about day 4. The drug stays in my system for a week or more, so there are no impulsive decisions to drink. I'd have to plan and to me at this time, would seem counter-productive.

I just feel like I need to connect with others to learn more about strategies to move forward. I am 54 and have been a drinker of wine and then vodka over time since I was 14 years old. Working from home doesn't help as it is really never too early for a drink...right? It is better today. I've been running and walking to take the edge off and that has been helpful.

I need to move forward Recognize what is real. Not lying to myself anymore. Thank you for listening.

meb
Old 07-11-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaigeMasters View Post
Lgrhe and Sober369, if you can believe this, my father just passed away too- on 6/27. I definitely used it as an excuse to get obliterated. Funny thing- my dad died a sober alcoholic. One of the MANY reasons I decided to stop drinking was that I knew he wouldn’t want me doing this to myself.

So sorry for both of your losses. It’s been a painful time for me.
Wow. Sorry for all of us.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaigeMasters View Post
Yayayayaya! Congrats to you!
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Just joined, and glad I found all of you!!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard MEBarry6 and ForMe247

I agree connection and support is very important and you'll both find a ton of that here

D
Old 07-11-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group MeBarry and Forme! Glad you are here.
How strange that three of us recently lost our fathers. It is really sad. Hugs to Paige and Lgrhe. My dad was a really special person. Not my natural father, but raised me since I was five and brought a feeling of safety that had been sorely missing in my life until then. I miss him a lot.
Bobdrop, I totally know what you mean about having alcohol in the house. It does bother me, too. I try to make light of it, but it's an issue. I don't want to ask them not to have it because they drink so little and it's just a little indulgence for them, not a problem. But it can be a trigger. As long as it's the nasty apple beer stuff, it's not as much of a problem, but there are sometimes margaritas and such. That's kind of hard for me. Not sure how to handle that.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lgrhe View Post
Wow. Sorry for all of us.
Woah my friends! So sorry to hear about the loss of dear family members. So very hard! I am definitely thinking of you all. Hang tight here, we’ll help to carry you! Be good to yourselves... Loss is sooo very difficult, so much to work through, but the drink only prolongs the pain and suffering and I don’t believe any of your family would want that for you. Allow yourselves to feel instead of drowning it out, just 1 minute at a time if that’s all you can muster. 💕
Old 07-11-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome aboard MEBarry6 and ForMe247

I agree connection and support is very important and you'll both find a ton of that here

D
Welcome MEBarry6 and ForMe247 and anyone I’ve missed. Glad you’re here! Lots support here, I know I’m grateful to have this place to turn to, with people who understand me, people who are far from perfect, but all of us are trying to get a handle on this thing called life without destroying it with alcohol. Some days are tougher than others, we fall down at times, allow life circumstance and poor brain choices to win for a moment but we are here with each other trying to walk a different road. Keep checking in, set a plan and reach out before that first drink. Just for today 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day at a time!! 💕
Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Count me in!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Sincere condolences for those of you who have lost their dad's recently. I too can unfortunately very much relate. I lost my dad 3 years ago, which originally turned me on to my negative relationship with wine. Dad and I were really close. I was originally trying to drown the pain of my grief with wine. Well... Let me tell you, it was a bad decision on my part and didn't work... and drowning the pain turned into a horrible habit of drinking everyday. Now 3 years later, I'm trying to correct my poor decision of wine drinking. My father would not have liked my decision to drink! Now I feel even more connected with all of you! I sincerely appreciate your support and kind, welcoming words. I'm finishing my evening with a clear head and writing in these forums instead of indulging in wine. I'm happy with my decision today and I'm so happy to find this site! I'll be sure to check in again with you all tomorrow!!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:37 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

So sorry for the loss of your mother, Whendovescry. I hope you are doing okay.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Minion and ForMe- thank you both. It is a very tough journey. But I will say it’s a lot easier now that I am no longer drowning my sorrows in weed and wine. I am much better able to deal with the grief with a clear mind. I am also letting myself cry... I need to do that.

It really is strange three of us are facing this recent loss of our fathers. I wish none of us were.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
nmd and Bobdrop, I have family who keep booze in the house, too. How do you deal with it? It's my daughter-in-law who lives with me, along with my son and their three children. Fortunately, she keeps nasty apple beer stuff. Hard cider sodas. Sounds disgusting, but sometimes I find myself looking at them, counting them, wondering what the heck is wrong with a person who takes two weeks to drink a six pack.
One way to look at it is seeing the difference between her having an occasional yucky drink without enough alcohol in it to even get a real drinker started, and me, who would have drank all of them and then been sad that there wasn't more. Maybe even made the dangerous trek out for more.
It's two totally different things, her drinking vs. mine.
Well, haha, im back at one week sober after having been working on getting sober for 4 years, so maybe it doesnt work for me?

If i have a case of beer in the house that i like, then im in the danger zone; same with wine or whisky. I poured out my last few beers and tequila i bought. I asked my wife not to buy me any more beer (its important to tell people you dont want to drink if you dont want them to offer you booze). Her beer is a national brand light beer that i dont like.

Some people keep a dry house. Its not unreasonable really, but depends on the people you share your home with. I would prefer that really, just not there yet.

I was sober for 13months and decided to have a beer on my birthday when out to eat. That kind of sums up a lot of stuff that went into relaping:
- feeling like i was missing out/rewarding myself
- restaurants that serve booze are a challenge for me period. theyll have the stuff i dont keep at home
- complacency/boredom with being sober
- some fleeting thought that i might be better and able to handle a drink every now and then

Drinking on impulse is always a bad idea. Ive never once waited and later.decided it would be a good idea. I did relapse though and im thinking about those things that led up to it.

The truth is too, relapse is often premeditated. We will come up with ways to get a drink ahead of time. Fleeting thoughts we call our addictive voice become a plan to relapse. Better to plan how to stay sober!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 4 here.

MEBarry6-Wow, instant connection I'm 58 and kept Smirnoff in business for decades.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
nmd

Very sorry for your losses Sober369, Paige and Lgrhe.